Buying Alcohol as a gift

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
since i am not much on drinking and "quality" booze, (i only ever drink a beer, or a nice bottle of red wine with dinner with friends)

what do some of you who actually enjoy "fine" alcohol like if you received it as a very nice gift?

i was thinking of buying a good friend, who is particular about "fine" alcohol, as part of his gift for his 40th birthday, a really excellent Scotch Whiskey...

i settled on "The Macallan Fine Oak - 21"

This legendary Single Malt is Triple Cask matured for a *minimum of 21 years in a unique, complex combination of Exceptional Oak Casks; Spanish oak casks seasoned with sherry, American oak casks seasoned with sherry and American oak casks seasoned with bourbon. This delivers an extraordinarily smooth, delicate yet complex Single Malt.

for those "in the know" what are your thoughts...does someone save it, like wine? do they drink it? what happens? are their better ones for similar prices...

i am rather a novice, and do not really discriminate when it comes to "spirits"

it is about $190-200 or so...but are there better scotches out there in this range that would be better?

i know that "single Malt" is usually the preference for Scotch drinkers who prefer quality, but then i see that the famed "Johnnie Walker Blue Label" is a premium blended scotch, but is highly regarded...but then there is the famed single-malt "Glenfiddich 30", which is highly regarded too

considering the only times i have ever drank scotch, i had had it blended with coca cola, i know that it probably did not matter what type of brand i bought (as my uncle said, you do not buy the highest premium vodka/scotch/rum if you are going to use it with mixer, since that defeats the purpose)

any advice?

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
since i am not much on drinking and "quality" booze, (i only ever drink a beer, or a nice bottle of red wine with dinner with friends)

what do some of you who actually enjoy "fine" alcohol like if you received it as a very nice gift?

i was thinking of buying a good friend, who is particular about "fine" alcohol, as part of his gift for his 40th birthday, a really excellent Scotch Whiskey...

i settled on "The Macallan Fine Oak - 21"

This legendary Single Malt is Triple Cask matured for a *minimum of 21 years in a unique, complex combination of Exceptional Oak Casks; Spanish oak casks seasoned with sherry, American oak casks seasoned with sherry and American oak casks seasoned with bourbon. This delivers an extraordinarily smooth, delicate yet complex Single Malt.

for those "in the know" what are your thoughts...does someone save it, like wine? do they drink it? what happens? are their better ones for similar prices...

i am rather a novice, and do not really discriminate when it comes to "spirits"

it is about $190-200 or so...but are there better scotches out there in this range that would be better?

i know that "single Malt" is usually the preference for Scotch drinkers who prefer quality, but then i see that the famed "Johnnie Walker Blue Label" is a premium blended scotch, but is highly regarded...but then there is the famed single-malt "Glenfiddich 30", which is highly regarded too

considering the only times i have ever drank scotch, i had had it blended with coca cola, i know that it probably did not matter what type of brand i bought (as my uncle said, you do not buy the highest premium vodka/scotch/rum if you are going to use it with mixer, since that defeats the purpose)

any advice?

I think you've made a fine choice, there. Not knowing your friend, obviously, but if he's a man who fancies a nice drink, I'm fairly certain he will be delighted. And if not, have him send it my way. :wink:

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
lol Flashy...If it's 200 dollar Scotch, your friend will like it. Guaranteed

Can I add you to my friends list?

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think you've made a fine choice, there. Not knowing your friend, obviously, but if he's a man who fancies a nice drink, I'm fairly certain he will be delighted. And if not, have him send it my way. :wink:

heh heh...i'll pass along your sentiments to him :biggrin1::wink:

so if you got that particular brand, you would be really happy with it?

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hmm, if you know that he likes scotch I'm sure your choice is more than fine. :cool:

I don't usually give alcohol as a gift unless I know them well enough to know what they like, or someone we know mutually has told me what libation they prefer.

PS - I like Grey Goose Vodka; but if you know of a better one feel free to add me to your Christmas list. :biggrin1: :cool: :smile:

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hmm, if you know that he likes scotch I'm sure your choice is more than fine. :cool:

I don't usually give alcohol as a gift unless I know them well enough to know what they like, or someone we know mutually has told me what libation they prefer.

PS - I like Grey Goose Vodka; but if you know of a better one feel free to add me to your Christmas list. :biggrin1: :cool: :smile:

lol...thanks...like you, my friends drink vodka...i have, over the course of my years drank plenty of vodka, but cannot stand to drink it straight..(so i mix it with cranberry juice and alot of it)

i tried buying vodka for my friends, just to bring as a gift for their parties, and things...but i seem to always be about 6 months behind...a few years ago, they were all drinking Ketel One...so i figured "that will be what i buy"...so i started buying them that...then, they switched to i think it was "Skyy"...so i started buying that...then they switched to Grey goose, now i buy them that...cannot imagine what is next...

i cannot detect the difference in taste of particular alcohols...it just all tastes like really strong alcohol to me...which i do not like...

when i asked my friend, "how can you drink that stuff straight up? what is the attraction/ does it taste good to you?" and they all replied "oh yes, when vodka is ice cold, and on the rocks, and a really good brand, it is sooooo good"...

i just don't get it. i always drink socially, but for me, tasting the alcohol is the least pleasurable part of any type of alcoholic beverage.

as for a better one than grey goose, i heard of one a couple years back...but i do not know much about it

Diaka Vodka, is the worlds most expensive vodka. The vodka comes in a bottle made with crystals, but this is not what makes it most expensive. Its actually the filtration process of the vodka that makes it exclusive. The Diaka Vodka is made in Poland where they use nearly one hundred diamonds of up to one carat in size, to filter the spirit resulting in vodka with unsurpassed clarity and smoothness. The diamond-vodka is only available by TransBorder Spirits in USA.

http://www.monks.jp/design/img/portfolio/diaka/diaka02.png

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
lol...yes you may :wink:

I'm quite content with an 18 y.o. Talisker or an Islay malt (Lagavulin).

I don't drink much at all. I use too more, but now 6 beers can last a month. I'm looking forward to sitting with the old man next week and slowly getting plastered drinking some of his malt whisky. Very mellow times.

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Similar to Principessa, I tend not to buy booze for others. I don't even go there if I am extremely close to them, unless I have a definite type of inebriator which they enjoy.

The problem with gifting of all alcoholic beverages is the differences from one to another.

For example, gin will vary from one distiller to another. They may have the same essence; however, a lover of gin, will prefer one over the other and even have brands which they do not like.

Then there are the whiskies. I like Connemara Cask Strength Single Malt- a somewhat smokey taste and it goes well with the gift I know you'll want to get me: DARK chocolate! It's 120 proof (which can give a good jolt) and can be sipped direct without mixing thanks to how it's made (which again, helps deliver a nice solid punch when it gets to the bloodstream (if that's what a person enjoys).

I am not as happy when presented with Greenore which I find is a bit a citrusy. Something of a fruity lemon-apple kind of taste with a hint of vanilla.

I myself am most fond of Jameson. (hint hint-:smile:)

(Yes, I only drink Irish Whiskey when imbibing in whiskey)

The way I am with hard liquor is the same as with beers. Some are better to me than others- I prefer dark beers over the light ones and am even happier if it's straight from the keg. Bottled over canned, as the metal ends up sifting into the taste and destroying what may have once been a tasty concoction.

Bottom line is, try to find out what his favorite is, one which he dosn't purchase a whole lot due to cost.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
thanks northland,

he almost always drinks scotch on the rocks, as long as i have known him...so it is safe to say, that a scotch would take his fancy....obviously, i have seen him drink several high quality types, but he always makes sure it is single malt, and always scotch...not irish, not american, not candian.

so i think i am on safe ground, with anything really good, single malt, well known brand, and scottish....plus i want it to be a surprise.

if he doesn't like it, he can go fuck himself :biggrin1: (he is a dear friend and not that picky from what i have seen over 25 years...as long as it is quality)

lol Flashy...If it's 200 dollar Scotch, your friend will like it. Guaranteed

Can I add you to my friends list?

He may not though. There are different types of single malts and it's rare to find someone who likes one type to like another. It may be $200 but if he's not partial to it, he probably won't like it. The flavors can differ wildly. For example, I'm partial to peaty whisky (Laphroaig) but few people are. Those of us who like it though, frequently consider the others too sweet. Others consider peaty whiskys too bitter.

What I would suggest is finding out what brand he usually likes and then look for a high-quality bottle of that brand or check this list for a similar brand.

scorpiokc

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
For $200 I could buy an awful lot of Natty Light! I'm more of the white trash sort. Altho I do enjoy the Jameson from time to time, as long as someone else is buying. I'm cheap. I'm sure your friend will enjoy it, and will appreciate the thought you put into your decision.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
He may not though. There are different types of single malts and it's rare to find someone who likes one type to like another. It may be $200 but if he's not partial to it, he probably won't like it. The flavors can differ wildly. For example, I'm partial to peaty whisky (Laphroaig) but few people are. Those of us who like it though, frequently consider the others too sweet. Others consider peaty whiskys too bitter.

What I would suggest is finding out what brand he usually likes and then look for a high-quality bottle of that brand or check this list for a similar brand.
You must know I was making a little joke Jason. But really... I never met a good whiskey I didn't like or at least find interesting. My preference is a smokey Scotch as well, Lagavulin for example. But I also totally enjoy a much brighter, cleaner and fruity type such as Glenlivet. If a friend give me nice bottle of any single-malt, I'd really enjoy it. But that's me. Maybe I'm a whiskey-whore!

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
I bought quite a lot of this many moons ago. Macallan and preferred it to the 50 year old.

:eek: I don't normally go for 25 Yr olds.

Anyway, the Macallan is still an exceptional whisky and if you bought me a bottle, I would hvae you round for dinner, have a couple as aperitifs and then finish the bottle afterwards.

For God's sake don't put anything else in it.

You must know I was making a little joke Jason. But really... I never met a good whiskey I didn't like or at least find interesting. My preference is a smokey Scotch as well, Lagavulin for example. But I also totally enjoy a much brighter, cleaner and fruity type such as Glenlivet. If a friend give me nice bottle of any single-malt, I'd really enjoy it. But that's me. Maybe I'm a whiskey-whore!

I didn't, sorry.:redface:

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

thanks Jase...

i talked to a couple of our friends today, and i came up with a few that i know he drinks...

i am going to decide between the Macallan and the Glenfiddich, based on what i know.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I bought quite a lot of this many moons ago. Macallan and preferred it to the 50 year old.

:eek: I don't normally go for 25 Yr olds.

Anyway, the Macallan is still an exceptional whisky and if you bought me a bottle, I would hvae you round for dinner, have a couple as aperitifs and then finish the bottle afterwards.

For God's sake don't put anything else in it.

lol...no i won't put anything else in it, since i very rarely ever touch scotch...:biggrin1:...when i do, it is usually some of the Johnnie Walker, drowned in diet coke.

just curious, what are other good things to mix scotch with for someone who does not like the taste, should one choose to mix? (obviously with a much less expensive brand of scotch)

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
lol...no i won't put anything else in it, since i very rarely ever touch scotch...:biggrin1:...when i do, it is usually some of the Johnnie Walker, drowned in diet coke.

just curious, what are other good things to mix scotch with for someone who does not like the taste, should one choose to mix? (obviously with a much less expensive brand of scotch)

Try soda water. It'll tame it to a degree but some of the flavor of the whiskey will remain for you to enjoy.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Try soda water. It'll tame it to a degree but some of the flavor of the whiskey will remain for you to enjoy.

i meant so i wouldn't taste it all :biggrin1::wink:

i don't enjoy the flavor of any alcohol no matter what...i just drink it for the buzz. :redface: