Buying Alcohol For Underage Kids

goodwood

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I wonder how many of you who have children would or do buy alcohol for children under the age of 21.

the woman that rents my cottage has a 20 year old son and all of his friends are in the same age range, give or take a couple of years. the mother of this kid's friend spent $200 for booze so the kids could have a party. all of them turned in their keys so no driving would happen happen after the drinking.

my parents' house was a veritable world class bar so there was no need to ever seek out alcohol while i was under 21. same thing with all my friends. all our parents knew that the kids drank and as long as we were responsible, then no problem.

but i can't imagine deliberately supplying underage kids alcohol. what say you?

aviators

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
over winter break i went to a friends house for a party back home in dallas and her parents bought alcohol for us to drink, i was really shocked because i had never seen any parent do that before, but her parents were totally fine with it
i have friends who's parents supply them with alcohol when they have parties, but we all have to give the parents our keys if we drink and say the night.
i don't drink most of the time so i leave and on occasion take a friend home if they want to leave

Pendlum

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I wouldn't do it. I don't care if I thought my kid and his/her friends were responsible. If anything happened, it would be my responsibility, and there would be hell for me to pay, rightfully. Not to mention I don't think buying a bunch of booze for a party for a bunch of kids is any kind of way to teach them how to drink responsibly. Since you aren't letting any of the drive (unless there are ones who don't drink, but that is rare since it is a party), they will most likely get as drunk as possible, since they are just going to crash on your floor. So there is no self restraint in that. When you go out to a bar, unless you are being stupid, you pretty much need to have a DD or to be able to get a cab. And going out to bars is more expensive, so you learn to be more conservative with your drinking, but can still have a good time.

I'm not going to kid myself into to thinking that if I buy them alcohol that I have some semblance of control over bad things happening. That is just stupid, imo.

D_Andreas Sukov

Account Disabled
Media
I used to get served underage all the time.

I would never buy it for people underage, because at that young age, no one knows how to drink responsibly.

Then again, lots of people at older ages dont know how to drink responsibly.

freyasworld

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My Kids have had a glass of wine with Sunday Dinner since the age of 14, where we lived in germany kids at age 15 can buy beer in a bar, but only a small glass and it was at the landlords discretion. Christmas and new year we always give them a glass of champagne.

It is only a problem if the kids are abusing it and themselves.

But I would not buy kids beer or spirits I do not know!

Oh and as for parties I hide my booze!

unabear09

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
My Kids have had a glass of wine with Sunday Dinner since the age of 14, where we lived in germany kids at age 15 can buy beer in a bar, but only a small glass and it was at the landlords discretion. Christmas and new year we always give them a glass of champagne.

see now.....I think what you are doing is what should be done in the States.

I think if the drinking age was lowered back to 18, and if parents would teach their kids about drinking in moderation by exposing them at a younger age, there would be considerably less binge drinking, drinking and driving, and far fewer alcohol related incidents in general. I think having the drinking age at 21 is a huge mistake.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
The drinking age when I was growing up was 18. Personally I believe that it should be lowered back to that age, but I'm neither a parent nor an uncle so my saying so is strictly based on my experience in the 70s, not current reality.

If, for some odd reason, I were to host a party and someone aged from 17-20 wanted a couple of drinks, I don't think I'd refuse him/her, though I'd make sure that driving home wasn't in the cards. I say "odd", because I haven't socialized with people of that age since I was that age myself and am not in a position (nor have the inclination anyway) to throw large parties where someone of that age might show up as a guest of a guest. That's not the way I socialize.

Because of criminal liability, I wouldn't procure beer, wine or alcohol for anyone under 21. But, again, this has never even come up as in issue for me in my life.

FWIW, I began drinking socially among friends (peers) beginning at age 15, around the same time I started smoking weed and tobacco. It was a sort of coming-of-age thing for kids of my generation. My parents, who in so many other areas were socially and politically reactionary, expected it and encouraged my sister and I to entertain rather than be out in cars drinking or doing drugs. It sent an odd mixed message, but as both were/are alcoholics, perhaps their condoning such illegal behavior is somewhat more understandable.

upone

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Hell, I'm so old, I don't KNOW any underaged kids. :smile:

When I was much younger I bought booze for underaged folks, but only girls, and only if I was getting into them.

B_subgirrl

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
If I knew them, and knew that they were reasonably mature, I would do it.

When I was underage my mum used to buy alcohol for me. I think legal drinking ages aren't really relevant anyway. Everyone is different and matures at a different rate, so what is appropriate for some, may not be appropriate for others. And coming from a country where the legal age is 18, I think 21 is a little ridiculous.

123scotty

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay

yes i agree 100% europeans have a better attitude towards alcohol. wine with a meal is common for younger people. so by the time they are at drinking alcohol age the deal is not as big and attitudes are different. the uk has a bad attitude for binge drinking. drink as much as you can as quick as you can

Chizzo

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
hey@all ! :)
here in germany, you can get alcohol with 16-17years easely !!! but now it's not allowed anymore and you have to show your ID card when you wanna drink somethin.
you must be 18 here.

but there are many "FLATRATE" drinking partys in discos or clubs... lots of young people do drink too much... and then they wake up in hospital or bad car accidents happen. i dont like parties like that at all! ...there is no level and no ending in sight.

but i*m glad that i can buy a bear ;D and it's allowed for me now^^

i dont understand why the USA is so hard with alcohol,showing tits, saying fuck......the young people over 21years go too springbreak and other parties and then they do drink too much too??? and they behaviour like teens and they hurt themself or other people... (OK I'm watchin too much MTV :D)

age is not important..self responsibility is important !
:)

Greetz
Benjamin

Viking_UK

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
My parents introduced me to alcohol at a pretty young age. My mother wanted me to know what it was like so that a) I wouldn't go on a mad binge as soon as I was legal and b) so that I could learn to handle alcohol in a safe environment.
I fully agree with that. I think it's responsible parenting and I would, with the consent of their parents, buy alcohol for teenagers for them to drink under responsible supervision: ie I stay sober while they have a couple of drinks, not get drunk.
However, I would not just buy booze for random kids in the street or for the children of friends and relatives without their parents' consent.

D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead

Account Disabled
Media
My parents introduced me to alcohol at a pretty young age. My mother wanted me to know what it was like so that a) I wouldn't go on a mad binge as soon as I was legal and b) so that I could learn to handle alcohol in a safe environment.
I fully agree with that. I think it's responsible parenting and I would, with the consent of their parents, buy alcohol for teenagers for them to drink under responsible supervision: ie I stay sober while they have a couple of drinks, not get drunk.
However, I would not just buy booze for random kids in the street or for the children of friends and relatives without their parents' consent.

What he said. Ditto.

D_Jared Padalicki

Account Disabled
Media
Hmmm...
I believe it would be better to allow people drinking over there when they are younger than 21. 21 is just too old in my opinion.

Here in Belgium we are allowed to drink alcohol at the age of 16, and are allowed to drive a car at the age of 18. Different rules.

I believe that by allowing kids to drink already, the fun behind it isn't there anymore. They don't have to do it sneaky or so or let parents buy them alcohol.
Okay, you have the occasional group of teens that abuse alcohol, but that is also with people who are allowed to drink at the age of 21 or older.

So if I lived in the states with knowing all of this, I would buy them alcohol. I rather have them to learn what alcohol is when I'm around and let them act crazy and learn from it.
My parents let me sip of beer, wine, champagne when I was younger, so I knew what the taste was like. It's a curiosity.

It's the same with coffee. It isn't forbidden, but also not a drink for young people in my opinion. These days I notice more and more young people getting attached to coffee and Red Bull drinks where caffeïne is the main "ingrediënt". They depend on caffeïne and that is crazy.

Tevye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I wonder how many of you who have children would or do buy alcohol for children under the age of 21.

the woman that rents my cottage has a 20 year old son and all of his friends are in the same age range, give or take a couple of years. the mother of this kid's friend spent $200 for booze so the kids could have a party. all of them turned in their keys so no driving would happen happen after the drinking.

my parents' house was a veritable world class bar so there was no need to ever seek out alcohol while i was under 21. same thing with all my friends. all our parents knew that the kids drank and as long as we were responsible, then no problem.

but i can't imagine deliberately supplying underage kids alcohol. what say you?
It's a bad idea to buy alcohol for people who are not legally allowed to drink. If anything goes wrong the buyer is responsible. This past weekend a person who was under 21 got drunk then drowned in a pool and the couple who supplied are being investigated. Even with the most supervision you can't keep track of everything.

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I don't see what the big deal is, as long as the conditions you described (keys being taken away, etc) are occuring. The legal drinking age (for beer and wine at the very least) should be 18 or 19 anyway. 21 is a ridiculous age. I'm glad said parent doesn't treat alcohol like a forbidden fruit, and is responsible enough to make sure her kids (who are going to probably drink anyway) consume alcohol responsibly.

FuzzyKen

Expert Member
Media
When I was in my mid 20's I nearly got "nailed" on this one. I had thrown a party and was unaware that several of the people who brought dates to that party had brought dates that were not of legal drinking age. I did not demand I.D. of everybody there as people that age normally would not do. Because of alcoholism in my own family I was very aware of signs of intoxication. Nobody got drunk on the premisis, but, one of the underaged girls managed to finish the intoxication trip elsewhere after leaving. I was visited by the local police department the next day and they tried to hang the whole thing on me.

No, I would never under any circumstance purchase alcohol for an underaged individual and no I would never serve alcohol to a person under 21 years old unless the circumstances were extremely controlled.

I may not agree with the statutes we are now living with, but I have to enforce them OR find myself in jail for "contributing to the delinquency of a minor".

Prohibition proved that taking away alcohol does not prevent alcoholism. But, politicians love it because it looks really great on paper and they can sit and spout rhetoric for hours on how much they have done to prevent alcoholism in the youth of America.

I don't agree with it, but I will enforce it because it has the ability to impact my life.

freyasworld

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
To up-date you, I did buy a drink for a stranger who was under 21 whilst on vacation in the states, he was a brit and just returned from Iraq, it amazed me at the time that he is old enough to drive a car go and fight a war, put his life on the line, but can't buy a beer!