Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I was reading another thread and it made me think about this subject.

For some reason it seems like most guys are embarrassed or shy about buying condoms. Why?

Buying condoms shows that 1. You are GOING TO HAVE SEX 2. You are responsible.

How are either of those a bad thing?

Personally buying condoms doesn’t phase me. It’s almost the opposite. I almost show it off. If I’m having a really good day and in a fun mood I might go as far as asking someone “Excuse me. Where can I find the Magnum condoms?” Or when I get to the register I might ask “Are these on sale?” or something just to see what the cashier’s reaction is.

I’d be embarrassed if I was buying Preperation H or something to get rid of VD. But condoms? You’re basically saying “I’m gonna have a good time tonight.”

What’s everyone else’s take?

hzs3fg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
The first time I bought condoms, they were sold only in pharmacies and kept hidden. You had to go to the pharmacist himself and ask for them.

I remember he asked me what brand I wanted and I stammered "Trojans" because that was the only brand I knew and then he asked whether I wanted the three- or the twelve-pack.

It was the most embarrassing thing I had ever done up until that time

Speaking of which, anyone seen the movie Summer of 42? It's got a great condom-buying scene...

AMTZ410213

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
My local Target doesn’t keep condoms under lock & key and they have a self serve check out. I live in a somewhat conservative area and the locals don’t like it when their kids see condoms being purchased. Obviously they haven’t had the sex talk with their kids yet. I always try to be discreet because I don’t want to be the one to force that talk before anyone is ready.

ManTubeula

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
safe sex is just smart. Even still i do feel alil awkward grabbing rubbers and i've been doing it on and off for almost 20 years. Can't trust these hoes out here.Buy em online and avoid all that shit homie. protect yaself

Reactions: Gj816 and cadmanken

I've never been embarrassed to buy condoms. A lot of the time I was buying them with the person I would be fucking. Better to get their input for what is more comfortable/a good fit than to try and guess that shit. I don't rub it in people's faces that I'm buying them either, though.

HydroLive

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I've never been embarrassed buying condoms. It's almost like a sense of pride knowing that the cashier knows I'm getting lucky that night.

Now on the other hand, buying lube has been embarrassing a few times.

C3sam

Expert Member
Media
Hot Springs National Park (United States)
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I've never been embarrassed buying condoms. It's almost like a sense of pride knowing that the cashier knows I'm getting lucky that night.

Now on the other hand, buying lube has been embarrassing a few times.
Buying lube, I remember when I was a kid live was too expensive, so at 2 am I be buying crisco, at the safeway, a few times it be 2 cans of Crisco for price of 1
Yea I be a little embarrassed
LOL

Reactions: Gj816 and wildcat16

insert_8

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
. . . . For some reason it seems like most guys are embarrassed or shy about buying condoms. Why? . . . .
I can't answer the "Why?" question, but for me there is a bit of embarrassment.

The very first time I bought condoms there was a lot more embarrassment, and I wondered "Why?". After all (I told myself) this is a normal thing that many people do, I'm an adult (23), and I'm married! (Wife had to go off oral contraceptives for a short while for medical reasons.) The pharmacy assistant saw me looking over the choices in the glass display cabinet and asked whether he should get the package out for me. I think I just pointed at one of the packages and said "Those." or something like that. Then I had to take them to the checkout, and just as I got there the male cashier was replaced by a female - mid to late 20's, rather attractive as I recall. Before I said anything or even put them on the counter she slipped a paper bag over the package, smiled, and said something like "There - that's better, isn't it?". Then she rang up the sale.

I was impressed by how cool and understanding she seemed to be. (I'm sure other guys had the problem, and she may have even been given special training for dealing with it, since this was just a block from a major university.) At any rate, I've never been as embarrassed as that first time, but over 4 decades later there is still some embarrassment.

Reactions: lapdog2001

AMTZ410213

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I can't answer the "Why?" question, but for me there is a bit of embarrassment.

The very first time I bought condoms there was a lot more embarrassment, and I wondered "Why?". After all (I told myself) this is a normal thing that many people do, I'm an adult (23), and I'm married! (Wife had to go off oral contraceptives for a short while for medical reasons.) The pharmacy assistant saw me looking over the choices in the glass display cabinet and asked whether he should get the package out for me. I think I just pointed at one of the packages and said "Those." or something like that. Then I had to take them to the checkout, and just as I got there the male cashier was replaced by a female - mid to late 20's, rather attractive as I recall. Before I said anything or even put them on the counter she slipped a paper bag over the package, smiled, and said something like "There - that's better, isn't it?". Then she rang up the sale.

I was impressed by how cool and understanding she seemed to be. (I'm sure other guys had the problem, and she may have even been given special training for dealing with it, since this was just a block from a major university.) At any rate, I've never been as embarrassed as that first time, but over 4 decades later there is still some embarrassment.
I know from a friend who was a cashier at a grocery store that they are strictly forbidden from commenting on the items that the customers purchase. At least that was the rule at the store where she worked. I imagine that has to be a pretty standard rule though.

Reactions: lapdog2001

notthatguy

Superior Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I use a lot of condoms. The local pharmacy had my favorite brand on 40% off. I cleared out their stock. So now i am standing in line with 20+ boxes of condoms. Behind me are 3 teens who are cracking up that an old guy like me is buying condoms. They are saying i will die before i use them all. I finally get fed up and decide to put them in their place. I explain that i use on average 5 a day so hopefully they will last a month and a half. I ask how many they use a week? They got quiet.

Wimps!

evolution

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I'll throw some "why" into the conversation. Why? Because buying condoms when you're not wearing a wedding band goes against years of religious training. Doing that in a small town means everyone in town will know.
But these days there are mega stores, self check isles, & that glorious internet that offers larger condoms that actually fit!

pdxjoe

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
When I think about this discussion of "why" two things come to mind, those of us who are older had to ask for condoms when we first started to buy them as the were kept behind the counter in the pharmacy . Talk about embarrassing the whole world knew you were buying rubbers and it could mean only one thing you were fucking someone, not so common in those days people were more involved with religious training do's and don't then. As a retired salesperson/cashier for a large store, my experience was you are to involved with getting through the line of customers coming at you that you do not have time to comment on the items they are buying as you ring them up. In this day of self check and internet sales there is no reason to be embarrassed buying condoms.

wildcat16

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I actually love buying condoms, make it fun and have fun with it.

For price and practicality my roommate and I and a couple other guys pool our funds and buy the majority of them on line. In my time in college with these guys we have gone through several hundred and that's even though none of us are really consistent about wearing them all the time. Thirty cents a fuck is better than dollars, lol. Our favorites are the ONE brand.
In that sense we are lucky that my roommate has a no questions ask credit card he was given to use. He has so much a month he can put on it and never be questioned about it from his Dad, who is the only one who sees the bill.

Sometimes we pin up a strip of a dozen trojans beside each bed and see who gets to use theirs first, that was more so in my freshmen year though.

One of the best times I remember buying them in a store though was on a wrestling trip. I am not really sure any of us needed them that night, but coach had to stop at a chain pharmacy and pick up something. Some of us went in with him, of course we ended up in the condom isle having a grand ole time and rather loud conversation about all the ones we had used and our opinion of said brand and style. We saw coach leaving the pharmacy counter to come our way to gather us to leave and we just started loudly asking him what brand of condoms he used when he was our age and did he need bigger ones or average or small ones, and whats the most he had used in a month, just stuff like that. Needless to say he turned more shades of red than most apples and left us in the store. The older lady clerk didn't know what to think when we got up there to check out with a 36 pack variety of trojans. We were all tossing in money to come up with enough and the guys were yelling out which style in the box they wanted to try. Not sure what she thought.

I was lucky or unlucky however you look at it in the beginning. My dad found out I had got laid within a week of me loosing my virginity and took me condom shopping. He let me buys a few different kinds. He was also the one to take a couple different of my friends to buy condoms when they thought they were going to need them. So I have never been concerned and almost every time I have purchased condoms in the store I have been with friends or teammates. We just have fun with it.