Buying condoms - embarrassed?

Are You Embarrassed Buying Condoms?

• Total voters

nicnic

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I'm not embarrassed about buying condoms, or about anybody knowing I use them. But I do prefer to buy them out of town unless it's urgent. I teach, and some of my current and former students are cashiers at the local drugstores and big-box places. It's a conversation I'd just rather not have with them.

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I used to buy them myself because I'm allergic to latex, and that's the most common. So I have to be particular.

But I'm trying to remember that Jeff Foxworthy story, and I know I'm going to butch it, but here goes.

The town stud sees a new sweet young thing that just moved into town and begins making time with her. He finally convinces her to go out with him, and in no uncertain terms he says they're going up to Lover's Leap and make out and whatever. She gives him a wicked smile and tells him to pick her up at six.

He runs to the drug store and in a bragging manner asks the pharmacist for a dozen condoms.

"A dozen? You must be planng a wild night?" the pharmacist asks.

"The wildest," he replies. "I just met this hot bitch, and let's just say she won't be walking straight in the morning?"

They chuckle as the pharmacist puts the condoms in a bag, and the stud struts out the door.

At six he goes to pick her up at her house, and her mother answers the door inviting him in.

She introduces him to her husband, who gives me a hearty handshake. Then the mother asks if he'd like to stay for dinner.

The young lady comes down the stairs and says "Oh no, Mom. We'll pick up something in town."

The stud interrupts, "I would be very honored to have dinner with you. ma'am."

The girl looks at him in surprise.

As they sit down at the table the stud asks "May I say grace?" And he goes into a five-minute prayer.

They all say Amen and begin to eat.

The girl is livid and leans to him and whispers "I didn't know you were such a holy person."

He whispers back "I didn't know your dad was a pharmacist."

keenobserver

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
When I really became sexually active, way back in the early 70's condoms for gay men were a fetish - not a protection. There was a clinic, the Whitman-Walker clinic that used to go to the bath houses and test for STD's anonymously. This was important because in those days when you tested positive for STD's you were reported to the Health Department and there was a record. You were also required to detail the names of you sexual partners, so for gay men getting legally tested it was a huge risk.
When HIV / AIDS broke (called GRID at that time) all hell an and panic broke loose. Being known as gay after that bomb dropped was devastating to many people - even those who were not infected.

When condoms were proposed as a way to slow down or stop the spread of the disease there was wide skepticism. I had my doubts, but gave it a shot. When the science began showing that it was helpful it was a massive relief and I've been buying condoms ever since. I never felt awkward or embarrassed for buying condoms any more than I felt awkward or embarrassed for buying medicine for a cold or infection. Once I had a guy at the check out imply that maybe I didn't need the larger Magnums, so I conceded he might be right, maybe he could take me to the drug store "fitting room" and size me up himself, properly. End of discussion. He was embarrassed, not me.

In looking at this thread, I would want people to see me buying condoms to force that conversation with their kids or to set a positive example. The AIDS activists who raised such justifiable hell to get research and funding to fight AIDs used to say loudly, "Silence equals Death." True then, true now.

I am an older, out gay man and I don't give a fuck if anyone still wonders if I'm having sex, or is embarrassed or amused by that idea, hell if they ask me, I'll tell them. It's 2018 - not the Victorian era. Gay or straight, a healthy appreciation of sexual health maintenance and reproductive responsibility is nothing that should be hidden away.

lapdog2001

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I used to buy them myself because I'm allergic to latex, and that's the most common. So I have to be particular.

But I'm trying to remember that Jeff Foxworthy story, and I know I'm going to butch it, but here goes.

The town stud sees a new sweet young thing that just moved into town and begins making time with her. He finally convinces her to go out with him, and in no uncertain terms he says they're going up to Lover's Leap and make out and whatever. She gives him a wicked smile and tells him to pick her up at six.

He runs to the drug store and in a bragging manner asks the pharmacist for a dozen condoms.

"A dozen? You must be planng a wild night?" the pharmacist asks.

"The wildest," he replies. "I just met this hot bitch, and let's just say she won't be walking straight in the morning?"

They chuckle as the pharmacist puts the condoms in a bag, and the stud struts out the door.

At six he goes to pick her up at her house, and her mother answers the door inviting him in.

She introduces him to her husband, who gives me a hearty handshake. Then the mother asks if he'd like to stay for dinner.

The young lady comes down the stairs and says "Oh no, Mom. We'll pick up something in town."

The stud interrupts, "I would be very honored to have dinner with you. ma'am."

The girl looks at him in surprise.

As they sit down at the table the stud asks "May I say grace?" And he goes into a five-minute prayer.

They all say Amen and begin to eat.

The girl is livid and leans to him and whispers "I didn't know you were such a holy person."

He whispers back "I didn't know your dad was a pharmacist."

I would say you didn't butcher that joke at all! Now that situation would be very embarrassing

maroon1040

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
As someone on the reserved side, yes I too keep any condom purchases discreet to avoid any awkward situations like talking to a store clerk or standing in line with someone I know who would see the purchase. So in order to do that, I would buy them at next larger city stores, especially in the self service lines at the big stores. Due to job as well, I prefer to keep that type of purchase low-key.

Reactions: mutualjax and Gj816

I feel no more embarrassment than if I was buying a loaf of bread, even though I had a nightmare experience whilst trying to buy condoms once in my teens. The shop, where I had bought them before, had changed hands. When I couldn't find them, and asked where the condoms were I was met with verbal abuse and thrown out of the shop. Then several non-British* men followed me out of their shop to literally shout abuse at me in the street. By literally, I mean literally. There was arm waving, and they even threatened to call the police!

So, if a man is embarrassed about buying condoms, that is a total turn off for me. It means that he is a coward with less balls than a shy teenage girl. Especially as he is unlikely to have ever been slut-shamed for it in such a spectacular fashion.

I have tried to be a bit more understanding about it in the past, unfortunately this only reinforced my prejudices on this matter. Weak, cowardly, and idiotic. And yuk, who wants to have sex with someone whose shyness could possibly override their common sense regarding safe sex.

* Stating that the people in the shop were non-British is not racist, it was more to do with culture and religion in my opinion.

HorsemanUK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I generally have to buy condoms on line as it's very rare highstreet shops stock XL condoms in the brand I buy . however, I wouldn't be embarrassed at all to buy them in a shop, I'd actually quite like to go buy some in a shop and see if the shop assistant made any remark.

Gj816

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I'm like @EllieP allergic to latex. Not embarrassed at all to buy condoms. It's says a lot about you. You take precautions. You practice safe sex. And someone is getting laid.
Until they came out with latex free, I always had to buy lambskins which were way more expensive. But man, putting on a lambskin condom would make you want to nut right then.

bigbucky

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I was embarrassed when I was a young adult. (60+ now) condoms were kept behind the counter, so you had to ask for them. if you were single, I was, you got asked "what are doing? since sex outside of marriage was just so wrong. most pharmacies employed one or two righteous elderly women. I always got the condoms but they were reluctantly sold to me. and it seemed that there were always 2 different old ladies working every time I came in. I started out just buying 2 at a time, but got tired of the runaround. so I went and bought 6. I thought the old ladies were gonna die. and they came real close when I came back and bought a dozen the next day. part of the problem was my big cock..... I was shredding half of the condoms I bought. one size fits all back in those days.

condom buying was short lived, thank goodness. most gals got on the pill, and once they did...hey, no fear of pregnancy, "let's fuck!" and fuck I did. no need for condoms. so....

about 20 years later, I was slightly embarrassed again when Magnum large sized condoms came out.... my wife had gone off the pill, and I was still shredding condoms. she desperately needed fucking. you should have seen the look on her face as I shredded one condom after another. she said she had heard of a larger size now available and sent me down to the nearest pharmacy. after purchase, the female cashier followed me out and asked me who "the big condoms" were for. I told her "me". her eyes darted to my crotch, and since leaving the store and knowing sex was imminent, I had quite a chub in my pants. her eyes just widened and got huge in instant. so I was embarrassed, but sort of proud or flattered. with further purchases of Magnums, it became kind of a statement when I put them on the belt with my other items, and the cashier would see them and be checking you out....."yeah, I'm buying these. I've got a big cock." so it became a whole new way to make that known.

ceejay1960

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Several years ago we had a new baby and went on holiday. My wife was breastfeeding and assumed it was safe to not use contraceptives. Whilst on holiday our older daughter was ill and needed to see a doctor. We saw a lovely female doctor who quickly diagnosed the problem. She then went on to look at the new born and asked various questions. She was pleased my wife was breastfeeding and my wife said that it was also good that we did not need contraceptives. The doctor informed us that was not a safe form of contraceptive and we must take precautions. As my wife was breastfeeding the only option was condoms. I therefore with new born in tow headed for the pharmacy. The condoms were in racks behind the counter and had to be requested. I asked the very attractive assistant for a pack of 12 king size. She looked at me then the baby and commented it’s a bit late for them. She then handed them to a colleague and she said do you want me to check they are the right size. I left very red faced with both assistants laughing

someperson

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
with further purchases of Magnums, it became kind of a statement when I put them on the belt with my other items, and the cashier would see them and be checking you out....."yeah, I'm buying these. I've got a big cock." so it became a whole new way to make that known.
they are not really that big any more they barely fit on my soft size

i'm 5" soft girth

they used to be bigger though

I don't really care for using condoms i want kids anyways

Reactions: nicnic

ohiorod

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
As a safe sex educator and program administrator, I find that non profits don’t buy magnums as much as regular condoms. I can say we don’t want to get stuck with a bunch of expired condoms and we buy them by the case if 1000. This could account for more people having to “purchase” magnums. Also, if we do buy them, we will probably buy an off brand XL condiment that is probably not preferred. I never use any of the XL ones that we buy. It is all a matter of dollar and cents and the challenge of of prevention budgets are drying up.

kdubb

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
My lover and I are one of the lucky few gay couples who have been in a monogamous relationship for over 20 years. We don't buy condoms as we have never had the need for them. From the very first time we fucked, sex for us has always been bareback. Our sex life is just as active today as it was in the beginning and we still freely breed each other's ass when fucking. We're both clean and STD free. But if we did buy condoms, we certainly would not be embarrassed about it.