Buying first Speedo

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by buzzrider7, May 8, 2011.

1. buzzrider7

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    So I've never owned a Speedo before but need to buy one now that I'm training at an aquatics center. (I have a square cut suit, but am the only one on my team without a Speedo, so I guess I should make the plunge.) Any advice on how to select one that fits properly? Hell, are you even allowed to try them on without underwear?? Any Speedo newbie pitfalls to avoid? Any suggestions here or by PM by the pros would be appreciated. Thanks! :)

NateicusPumper likes this.
  2. NM8x6

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Definitely trying on is the way to go. Too many different types of cuts to know which will work for your bod without trying. One thing I can tell you from experience, the actual "Speedo" brand suits that I have tried in the past never worked. They have little to no room for cock and balls.

NateicusPumper likes this.
  3. buzzrider7

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    So people just try them on bare against their cock, balls and ass, and then put them back on the rack if it's not what they want??

4. msherenow

msherenow New Member

buy one at least two sizes larger than your normal waist size

5. CalmAndCreative

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I have usually wear a swim jock or bikini brief when I went shopping... but that's me. (I have issues)

6. CalmAndCreative

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Or a size smaller. (again, depends on brand and cut)
    They can stretch out a bit with regular wear.

7. CalmAndCreative

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I have speedo, tyr, nike, and arena suits... all in black... and rotate them so I was never having to put on a wet or even slightly damp suit the next day. (again, the issues thing)

8. buzzrider7

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Thanks for the comments so far. Yeah, I was wondering if they stretch out after a few wears and that if so it's good to buy it a little tight?

9. mplsingleguy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    wear bikini underwear-

different suits feel differently- so try different suits. Try them on with underwear- and then if you find one that you're fairly sure about, then (if you can get away with it) slip off the briefs and try it commando just to make sure before you leave the store.

That's what i did for both swimsuits and expensive bike shorts

10. buzzrider7

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    That sounds like a plan. Now I have to go shopping for bikini underwear! Should I try those on commando? :wink:

11. catman

Gold Member

go for a darker color- the lighter colors tend to 'leave nothing to the imagination' when wet- also, what brands are your teammates wearing? use that as a guide. are there other guys hung about like you? do they show/not show? some guys like to 'show' some don't- whats the comfort level in your group? a group of jocks who like to show what they have, or modest, or hyper modest. Ditto with the what to wear UNDER the suit.

If you feel comfortable talk to the coach- I am sure this is not the first time he has been asked.

12. buzzrider7

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Nobody is hung. Not even close! I find myself more often wondering if these guys even have penises their bulges are so small.
    There is one guy now in the group (a friend of mine who joined through me) who is mega hung. He wore a square cut last week, so I think we might go together to try on some Speedos before our next workout. Black is def the color of choice. The coach is a hard-ass Russian woman in her 50s, and I get nervous just asking her basic questions about our workouts, so I'm NOT about to ask her questions about Speedo show/no-show etiquette!!

13. Stanmeister

Stanmeister Member

If you are buying a Speedo or TYR or Nike brand you can go with your own waste size. If you are buying a lesser known brand from Swim Outlet.com you should check the reviews. Sometimes you will want to buy a size up on Euro styles. Some guys down size if they are really interested in aerodynamics.

14. sdbg

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I like the classic cut of the Speedo brand suit better than the other brands. The lycra fabric is the most comfortable and lasts for several seasons; longer if you take good care of it. Navy blue is good, too. I always bought my suit one size up and liked how it looked and felt compared to the same suit in my actual size.

15. affarsbitrade

affarsbitrade Active Member

If you don't wear briefs, definitely buy a cheap pair to wear the day you go shopping for your speedo. I wouldn't want to try on a pair of used speedos, but I know some guys would love it!! I agree that the speedo brand really doesn't have much room in the crotch, and while you don't want to be wearing anything that shows off TOO much what you're packing, you don't want to feel self-conscious that your bulge looks small. Try your regular waist size first, with the briefs on underneath it should feel snug. If it's quite tight, just remember you'll be wearing them while swimming and won't want to be too constricted. If it's too loose, you won't want to climb out of the pool naked. Keep in mind though that most still come with a string at the waist so you can always make them a little tighter. Beware the dreaded ass sag though, where the speedo is too loose or the fabric old and stretched and you get that baggy-ass look which is pretty revolting.

I went through this a few years ago when I started training. I now have quite a few and even bought some from aussiebum.com that turned a few heads at the gym when I went for a swim after a workout.

16. CUBE

Gold Member

Albums:
    You have a great build so any bikini style will look good on you...that is the good news. I would get one the next size up from your usual waist size...they tend to run small. Swimming like you do these name brands like Speedos are all just ok. If you get to the point you wear a bikini on your own there are way better and flattering brands.

17. matt121matt121

Gold Member

Albums:
    buzzrider7, I'd say get a nike one.. like someone else pretty much go with your waist size as they aren't ultra ultra tight like speedo brand ones.. if you want to go one size smaller for races or less drag thats fine, the suit will always loosen up a bit with time.

i've got em in black and royal blue.. i like the blue since its just alittle color but still not super showy.. i've also seen guys wear them in red (I def need to get one of those)..

if got lots of suits of all different brands.. if you need any help message me..

18. matt121matt121

Gold Member

Albums:
    when you say nobody is hung don't forget cold water = shrinkage.. and that speedo brand suits are ULTRA tight and on top of that some guys undersize by one or two or more sizes, especially for meets..

are your team suits speedos?.. when you order those you def want to downsize at least one size to eliminate extra drag

19. laser90

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I been buying these suits since high school and I’m still competing, so here the low down on the suits.

Use: This is the first thing you need to look at, why are you buying the suit?
    Durability: If you’re going to swim lap after lap in it, then buy a suit that made out of polyester blend. They will last forever!
    If you’re just going to use it to go to the beach then buy the spandex blends. They tend show more and compress less.
    Sounds like your using it for practice so polyester would be best but if your one of those wimpy divers folks who are only in the water for a few seconds, then your best bet is Speedo’s new 74% Nylon / 26% Xtra Life Lycra. They will last longer then the other suits, which are made out of nylon/spandex

Speed: If you’re looking for speed then it’s the 150 dollars and up suit! Just remember these are compression suits that will only be good for oh….maybe 10 or so swims.

Style/color: Not to worry about color. Most competitive name brand suits avoid colors like solid yellow and white, which as we all know will show every bump.

Brand: stick with name brands on this one (Speedo, TYR, Arena). I found off brands fit different and the quality can be an issue. You look like you have about the same body type as me so I would stay away from NIKE; they need to pass on making men’s swimsuits. I don’t know whom they build them for! Well they don’t fit me at all. They seem to fit guys with big butts.

Size: name brands are true to size. Do NOT buy a suit 2 sizes to big unless you like the sag and bag look. If you’re buying for speed, then buy a suit one size smaller than you usual

Material See use: with all the materials what you need to worry about is your butt. Make sure you sit on a towel or bring nylon shorts with you to put over your suit. Nothing takes out the bottom of a suit like a pool deck. NOTE to you lap swimmers, I seen many of swimmer who don’t realize that the backside of their suit is warn out! When they put it on you can see right tough it. Make sure to check your backside of you suit. Put you and in the back and stretch it, if you can see your hand guess what…everyone can see your butt. Might work at some beaches but it will not fly at swim practice.

Where to buy: You can use a local shop, but I have a hard time paying 30 buck or more for something that is smaller than my underwear! Swim outlet I found to have some of the best prices. If you really don’t care all that much about style, the brand grab bag and be a good buy. You can order a couple of suits and brands, try them on at home and return the ones you don’t like. Just keep the tags on and swim outlet will take them back. If you’re in the store trying them on you need to have on some sort of underwear on. One of my buds got crabs from trying on suits. He would always just strip and try them on his naked body. He does not do that anymore!

Sounds like you have a bud that need to buy a suit too. That can work to your advantage since you could combine your order and save on the shipping. Swim outlet ship from the west coast so you will get it in no time.
    I’m a little concerned about your Mega cock bud, If he is huge soft and has big balls…he is NOT going to fit into a Speedo, he going to have to choose one of the nice black new square cuts or jammers. He might be the only one in them but he going to be more comfortable than trying to cram his big cock and balls into one those small suits! Remember your not buying this for show and tell.

Tales from a long long time swimmer……..

#19 laser90, May 9, 2011
    Last edited: May 9, 2011
  20. ThongerDude

ThongerDude New Member

Most stores will let you try on the suit but the ones I go to have signs that ask you to keep your underwear on for hygiene reasons. Often, the sales girl will knock on the changing room door and ask if you have any questions, need help, etc. Since I only wear thong underwear, I pull the waistband up high so that it's visible above the swimsuit, so I don't get in trouble with the salesgirl thinking I don't have underwear on. The salesgirls are usually very helpful and offer fitting tips when they see me in the suit and will go get a different size if it's required. I don't know if they do this for all customers, but they always check out how the swimsuit fits on me.

Draft saved Draft deleted