Buying wide condoms & co-workers

nowoonder: Excuse me if this has been discussed before, but I didn't find any thread and I just need to get this off my head.

Some days ago two co-workers and I were on some workshop in another town. On the last day we had some time to kill and went shopping through the city. When we saw a pretty interesting sex shop (not one of those red-light district ones but the ones where you can take your g/f), we went in and looked around the normal and the more bizzare stuff.

It was there that I found a truly magnificient (that is at least for Germany) collection of larger sized condoms. They had the Lifestyles spiral stuff, the Magnums and many, many more. And they were all blown up to typical fitting size. So when my co-workers were in a different part of the shop I grabbed the nice girl behind the counter and let me explain the advantages of the different models (somehow more informative than looking at pictures and descriptions on the internet).

The reaction of the clerk was as usual - somewhere between indifferent and understanding that there is a need for such stuff.
What I did not see was this co-worker of mine walking his way up behind me. Suddenly he says "You know - you can by normal ones, too!" This took me by surprise and all I mumbled as a reply was "Yeah, right. Wish I could."

Now what was this guy thinking? Was he just making a joke? About such a personal topic? Does he think I wanted to impress the clerk? Buy talking with her about condoms, right? Does he think I do not need extra-wide condoms? He couldn't know.

So what was this guys motivation for doing that? And what would have been a smarter reply?

kurios

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Could be he had no motive.
He may not realize that some guys need larger condoms based on the fact that he is fine with regular ones or may not even use them.

wishIwashung: My thoughts?

Perhaps he thought you were hitting on the female clerk, perhaps he had some sort of thing for her and felt... I don't know, threatened?

Maybe that bloke just has a very average cock...

Or maybe he is using the logic presented by comedians and sex therapists everywhere that normal condoms are actually quite flexible and "stretchy" in nature and could even fit a horse or something equally substantial in girth or length...

Or maybe he's just one of those prick bastards... that's also very likely. They're everywhere, you know!

nowoonder: I think you guys got it. He probably does not see the need for larger condoms as he a) does not need them and b) perception in society is that a condom is a 1-gallon water bomb ;-)

Neither a) nor b) really occurred to me. And they sound both pretty plausible.

So what about a smarter reply next time someone questions my need for larger condoms (or the need for larger condoms in general)?

nowoonder: And about me hitting on that clerk ... I did that once in another sex shop after she cared to tell me in great detail of her last boyfriend who had a similar circumference and his problems with standard condoms and how good such a big cock feels. ;D

wishIwashung: Got your response...

When someone says, "You know, you can buy regular ones,"

Look down briefly at his crotch, look up at his face, all smug and reply: "Well, maybe you can... but, well, I can't."

Of course, it's all in the delivery... if you know what tone of voice to use, etc, then the reaction could be priceless.

kurios

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Ignore him!
I like andthataintbad's response but you could be needlessly alienating him by having let him walk in to a trap or initiating banal competitive banter.
If you feel better nail him but if you really want to deal with the maybe dum maybe naieve comment on a mature level. Ignore or agree!

GTrosper: I read the comment as consumer one-upmanship, meaning something like "You don't HAVE to buy the special stuff at this boutique; you can get regular for cheaper elsewhere."

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Since I'm not a man, I don't know how a regular condom feels on a big dick, but I did attend an aids prevention seminar once where the speaker was telling the benefits of using condoms. He said that some guys use the excuse that they're too big, and they hurt. He proceeded to take out a regular size condom amd roll it up his arm! He then said, "if it's bigger than this-run!". It was a funny demonstration. I know they will go on, but I'm guessing they might be too restrictive to allow sensation?

Max

Sexy Member
Media
Originally posted by madame_zora@May 24 2004, 07:19 AM
Since I'm not a man, I don't know how a regular condom feels on a big dick, but I did attend an aids prevention seminar once where the speaker was telling the benefits of using condoms. He said that some guys use the excuse that they're too big, and they hurt. He proceeded to take out a regular size condom amd roll it up his arm! He then said, "if it's bigger than this-run!". It was a funny demonstration. I know they will go on, but I'm guessing they might be too restrictive to allow sensation?
The speaker had a point. However, the time when I needed condoms was way before the appearance of magnum XL etc, and my experience of regular size ones was:

1. They were a struggle to get on; enough so that the moment was destroyed.

2. They were very constricting, and felt like a vice around me. In fact I could not attain a full size in them, especially in so far as the glans was concerned.

3. They would not cover my whole length, or even the whole of the length I actually use. That did not feel safe.

The arm comparison isn't as relevant as the speaker may have thought ... yes, a condom can be stretched that far, but just think of the tension squeezing the blood out of your penis.

My other problem with condoms was that they are no good at all for the guy who often likes / needs to come more than once with the same erection. Withdrawing, taking it off, disposing of it, the struggle of putting on another -- that would be 100% guaranteed to destroy the moment.

D_Humper E Bogart

Experimental Member
Media
I probably need to get money saved up then "when the time comes", Zora, can you imagine how much condoms cost in London???! Aieeee!

Altough condoms are pretty flexible, it takes a decent amount of force to make them stretch, a penis isn't strong enough, so if the condom is too small, then it constricts. For me, regular ones are pretty restrictive and the rim would cut into the shaft, fortunately it isn't "that" bad, but on the whole, there's no lee-way with those things.

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by Max@May 24 2004, 03:38 AM
The speaker had a point. However, the time when I needed condoms was way before the appearance of magnum XL etc, and my experience of regular size ones was:

1. They were a struggle to get on; enough so that the moment was destroyed.

2. They were very constricting, and felt like a vice around me. In fact I could not attain a full size in them, especially in so far as the glans was concerned.

3. They would not cover my whole length, or even the whole of the length I actually use. That did not feel safe.
I can vouch for 1 and 2 myself (condoms fit me lengthwise), but I'd like to add to Max's list:

4. Once stretched beyond factory specs, condoms are more likely to break. I'd bet that demonstrator didn't actually try fisting anyone with that condom on to see how well it would hold up after being stretched that tight.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
I'll add from my experience with 'regular' size condoms:

5. The urethra is so constricted from the tightness of the condom that there is pain upon ejaculation.

I even desperately used to try to reach down during orgasm and pull the ring of the condom away from the bottom of my penis to prevent the pain. It didn't work.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Wow, thanks for all those great responses! These are things I never could have known. Because I am not in a monogamous relationship, I always use condoms, no matter what- sex is not worth dying for. However, I do understand the need for the "right fit" now much better. Not that it's been an issue for me (alas!) to have a need for ones larger than regular.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Yeah, well, females don't have to worry about condoms causing painful ejaculation. What you have to worry about is Depo-Provera's carcinogenic properties, or simply the possibility of an extrauterine pregnancy from the IUD. Makes the problems us men have with condoms look mild by comparison.

I used to be more promiscuous, when I was 14. I always had trouble with condoms back then, but not as much as I'd have today. I do recommend Condomania's They-Fit line, though, if you're under 10". If not, I don't know if there's a condom for you, but you can simply take the largest size and keep the uncovered portion outside of his/her orifice.

BigCKhead

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Sure Condoms are the ONLY way to prevent you from STD and specially AIDS.

Sure condom standards rules specify that a condom can hold up to 1 gallon
of water ...

And the demonstration made before the assembly by the consultant is quite
impressive but don't forget that some squezzing can make you loose your
erection.

Master & Johnson in the 70's told about a technique that could prevail men
from having premature ejaculation and make partially loose for a while an erection prior to ejaculation by squezzing hard the glans / the base of the head or corona ...

I have as the other guys told me a HUGE cockhead, and i always find that
standard shapped condom weren't be very unconfortable (quite a pain in the ass , no pun intented :lol: ) and they always make me loose my erection... because the head was too stressed and compressed as in the M&J squeezing technique.

Until lately having intercourse or anal sex was quite unpleasant for me, but i've
discovered the LifeStyles's Xtra Condom that now make protected sex pleasant
and enjoyable for both (partner and i)

Here are the technical specs of the LifeStyles's Xtra condoms :

Length: 190mm (7.48in)
Width: 52mm(2.05 in)-80mm (3.15in)
Thickness: .07mm (.003in)

Here a picture below

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'll give you the skinny on the situation in my own humble interpretation;

1) Your friend was obviously smitten over the clerk, and wanted to dissuade you from becoming more acquainted with her by blurting out that ridiculous line.
2)He has no concept of the problems of the phenomenally phallused and condoms that are best suited for us.

In my own experience, regular sized TROJANS almost always either strangulate and/or bust open due to my girth/length. The MAGNUMS are more accomodating and they can handle volume, though the way I cum sometimes, I think the reservoir tip may burst because it fills up like a water balloon.

Next time, just remind your friend when you're there at the shop, not to say anything stupid like that, or don't tell him the next time you go if he does it again.

Oh, yeah, and you could definitely do what wishIwashung suggested; If your friend runs that bluff again, turn it around on him by saying, "talking to yourself again?" or "And you know this how?"

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Same reply as those above.

When I'm about to ejaculate, the last thing I want to do is struggle into a too-small condom that constricts me and prevents me from fully and freely exploding. I also don't want to worry about an overflow of semen oozing out the bottom, either.

SG