Caffeine Headaches!

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
So I firmly believe that I have been getting headaches due to caffeine withdrawal, but they always seem to happen in the evening. Last week, I went two days without having any soda at ALL... and for those two days, I got severe headaches every evening that wouldn't go away, even with meds. After getting some more soda, I was fine. Then last night, I drank the last pop. I was fine all day until this evening, where I started getting another throbbing headache for no apparent reason. It's not going away. :frown1: I just went to the gas station to get a soda to see if it would help. How in the hell can you stop caffeine headaches from lack of soda? If I quit drinking cold turkey will they eventually go away? These headaches are almost debilitating... I get mildly dizzy, and I can't concentrate on anything. Help!

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
So I firmly believe that I have been getting headaches due to caffeine withdrawal, but they always seem to happen in the evening. Last week, I went two days without having any soda at ALL... and for those two days, I got severe headaches every evening that wouldn't go away, even with meds. After getting some more soda, I was fine. Then last night, I drank the last pop. I was fine all day until this evening, where I started getting another throbbing headache for no apparent reason. It's not going away. :frown1: I just went to the gas station to get a soda to see if it would help. How in the hell can you stop caffeine headaches from lack of soda? If I quit drinking cold turkey will they eventually go away? These headaches are almost debilitating... I get mildly dizzy, and I can't concentrate on anything. Help!
Drink caffeine free pop. I drink diet and Caffeine free pop. I am a Coffee drinker. This i drink with caffeine. ween yourself off of anything. Never go cold turkey if you have the choice. If you have a headache take a Tylenol. This will soon pass.:smile:

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I take 4 Ibuprofen for my caffeine headaches, and they don't go away. :frown1:
Drink a can of pop and see if it helps. How much pop were you drinking? Drink diet. No calories and no caffeine. I even eat sugar free candy. Only Peanut M&M's. Im a whore for them. Drink some pop and see if it helps.

vortex22222

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Try taking Excedrin Migraine. They have a bit of caffine in them to boost the analgesic. This might help from both directions.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I take 4 Ibuprofen for my caffeine headaches, and they don't go away. :frown1:
You weren't listening. Uncut said Tylenol which is acetaminophen, not ibuprofen.

Drink a can of pop and see if it helps. How much pop were you drinking? Drink diet. No calories and no caffeine. I even eat sugar free candy. Only Peanut M&M's. Im a whore for them. Drink some pop and see if it helps.
njqt466 runs to Wal-Mart to stock up on Peanut M&M's so she can tempt Uncut to her boudoir. :flirt:

I just finished a soda... no real effect as of yet. I normally drink Diet Mountain Dew, but it is caffeinated. I drink anywhere from 2 to 10 cans of pop a day, depending on how much I have and how bad I want it.
OMFG! :eek: Meg that is way too much soda! No wonder you are getting killer withdrawl headaches!

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I just finished a soda... no real effect as of yet. I normally drink Diet Mountain Dew, but it is caffeinated. I drink anywhere from 2 to 10 cans of pop a day, depending on how much I have and how bad I want it.
Yes diet Siera. Mountain Dew has caffeine in it. Caffeine in reality if anthing should help a headache. Now if you are stopping consuming it thats another story. You may just have a nasty headache. The hot humid weather,Stress etc. all play into this. cleaning products give me a headache. Bleach kills me. air fresheners etc. I hope you feel better:smile:

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
You weren't listening. Uncut said Tylenol which is acetaminophen, not ibuprofen.

njqt466 runs to Wal-Mart to stock up on Peanut M&M's so she can tempt Uncut to her boudoir. :flirt:

OMFG! :eek: Meg that is way too much soda! No wonder you are getting killer withdrawl headaches!
Yes i love them. I ate a 1lb bag last night. Im talking majior fucking wood this morning. I could have drilled a hole in the wall LOL:biggrin1:

Meniscus

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Most people shouldn't drink more than 2 caffeinated beverages a day, but if you're drinking a lot more than that, you should cut back gradually. Mountain Dew has more caffeine in it than your average soda. If you feel a headache coming on, you're cutting back too fast, so have a soda and/or try taking Excedrin Migraine, as vortex suggested.

Also, just try taking really good care of yourself. Eat lots of fruits, veggies, and lean protein; abstain from alcholic beverages for the time being, get 8 hours of sleep every night; and avoid stress as much as you can.

Also, avoid foods that can trigger headaches such as chocolate, cheese, yogurt, ice cream, pickles, vinegar, and wine.

If the headaches continue or get worse, see your doctor so that she or he can rule out other causes.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
There's something to be said for cutting caffeine slowly but I have always found it better to go cold turkey. Maybe that is me. I've quit caffeine several times, for all sorts of reasons - staying off for 9 months of pregnancy being my best effort, and the headaches and muscle cramps do go after about a week. If you are quitting caffeine quit everything - so many things you don't think of contain caffeine, try to avoid them all as much as you can, hang tight and the headaches will stop. Drink bucket loads of water.

Love-it

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
When my wife quits caffeine she gets terrible headaches, I don't. Is there any research that shows women are more likely to have caffeine withdrawal headaches than men?

Elmer Gantry

LPSG Legend
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I don't think it's a male/female thing. If I don't have a coffee in the morning then I have a splitting head ache by 1 or 2 in the afternoon.

But I only ever have one (maybe two) a day.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Caffeine withdrawal is recognised as a medial disorder. There have been numerous articles about it. This is from the October 2004 issue of Psychopharmacology on a study done for the National Institute on Drug Abuse.

"Caffeine is the world's most commonly used stimulant, and it's cheap and readily available so people can maintain their use of caffeine quite easily," says Roland Griffiths, Ph.D., professor of psychiatry and neuroscience at Johns Hopkins. "The latest research demonstrates, however, that when people don't get their usual dose they can suffer a range of withdrawal symptoms, including headache, fatigue, difficulty concentrating. They may even feel like they have the flu with nausea and muscle pain."

It goes on to say

<...>

...common withdrawal symptoms: headache; fatigue or drowsiness; dysphoric mood including depression and irritability; difficulty concentrating; and flu-like symptoms of nausea, vomiting and muscle pain or stiffness. In experimental studies, 50 percent of people experienced headache and 13 percent had clinically significant distress or functional impairment -- for example, severe headache and other symptoms incompatible with working. Typically, onset of symptoms occurred 12 to 24 hours after stopping caffeine, with peak intensity between one and two days, and for a duration of two to nine days. In general, the incidence or severity of symptoms increased with increases in daily dose, but abstinence from doses as low as 100 milligrams per day, or about one small cup of coffee, also produced symptoms...

<...>

..caffeine is the most widely used behaviorally active drug in the world. In North America, 80 percent to 90 percent of adults report regular use of caffeine. Average daily intake of caffeine among caffeine consumers in the United States is about 280 milligrams, or about one to two mugs of coffee or three to five bottles of soft drink, with higher intakes estimated in some European countries. In the United States, coffee and soft drinks are the most common sources of caffeine, with almost half of caffeine consumers ingesting caffeine from multiple sources, including tea.

I avoid caffeine as far as possible, I've found it can upset my stomach if I have too much.

geek0

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Ive just cut a 15 strong coffees a day habit down to 1 or 2 and i seem to be fine but i did notice i was a little tired for a few days at first, it has to have some kind of effect on you when uve been drinking that much of it but it shouldnt take long to withdraw.

agnslz

Loved Member
Media
Meg, I feel for you. I don't have any advice on how to make the headaches go away, but I too am trying to cut back on drinking coke. I drink an average of 2 or 3 cans a day. Have you tried Squirt? It has no caffeine, and it's fairly comparable in taste to Mountain Dew. I'm drinking that because it has less sugar and calories. I also drink Dr. Pepper, which has always been my favorite. It also has a bit less sugar and calories than most other soft drinks, but it does have caffeine. I hope you'll eventually find something to remedy your headaches!

fratpack

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Ye-ouch! Sorry to hear about the headaches, Meg...as if there weren't enough things going on to give people headaches.
Mountain Dew is one of those highly caffenated sodas, just like orange soda. Maybe gradually cut down to give your body a chance to adjust.
And here is something my Grandmother used to do for headaches. She would put a pot of water and some apple cider vinegar on the stove heat it up and then take it off the burner. then she would put a towel over her head and the pot and inhale the steam off and on for about ten minutes and that would seem to help. Hey, sometimes those old Grandmother's cures work.
Good luck, I cut out caffeine/coffee every now and again and I feel your pain.

SteveHd

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I don't think it's a male/female thing. If I don't have a coffee in the morning then I have a splitting head ache by 1 or 2 in the afternoon. ...
Ditto for me. I ritually drink two cups of coffee each morning. If I skip that or substitute decaf, I'll invariably get a bad headache by afternoon.