California approves same sex marriage

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I knew that was going to come up. What at question then, wasn't the institution of marriage, but more so racial mixing. So what's to keep me and my lawn from getting married, and me filing taxes as "married filing jointly"?
<...>
I can propose eternal union with a cactus, do I need the state to recognize it? Is it discriminatory to then propose that we classify marriages in California as "straight marriages" vs "same-sex marriage"? Or what will surely boil some bubbles ...."pro-creation marriages" or "evolutionary superior marriages"... you get my point. Culture and religion are not synonymous. Perhaps in 10, no 5 years, we'll see a "Hetero Student Union" in a Berkeley high school. Imagine that? Or is doctrine that the minority is only subject to oppression? Folly.
<...>
Along the lines, of the spirit of individuality (whether right or wrong) this feels like a last hope for many heterosexuals. Many/most straight Californians are NOT religious... if anything they are lightly religious, and feel the man/woman/pro-creation thing is still pertinent.
You know the answers to the questions in the first two quoted paragraphs, right? You do, I know you do. That's the same "argument" used by that douchebag Rick Santorum in his rants against same-sex marriage.

The day your lawn or your cactus can give informed consent and sign a marriage license, then sure, go ahead and marry them.

And for the argument of procreation, again, not a good place to start an "anti" argument. If a hetero, opposite-sex couple cannot or choose not to have children, should they still be allowed to marry?

I knew that was going to come up. What at question then, wasn't the institution of marriage, but more so racial mixing. So what's to keep me and my lawn from getting married, and me filing taxes as "married filing jointly"?

Your lawn has no legal standing as it is incapable of giving consent. Same with your lawn jockey, your horse, and your favorite tie. You have to admit your example is a ludicrous example of the, "slippery slope," argument.

And what did gay/same-sex marriage in achieve????...after all love-is-love as someone stated. course I'm not sure what the "couples laws" were before. But... last I checked California already offers same-sex couples who register as domestic partners the same legal rights and responsibilities as married spouses, including the right to divorce and to sue for child support. Huh??? So what was the big victory, to be defined sexually like a hetero couple... somewhat ass-backwards (pun intended)

Domestic partnership is not marriage despite the fact that California offers the same benefits. What you're arguing is a state of, "separate but equal," and that clearly violates the California constitution which states that all citizens are entitled to the exact same legal rights. That means if the state offers the contract of marriage to some of its citizens, then it must offer that contract to all its citizens. As it is right now, a gay couple can only ask for a domestic partnership license, not a marriage license. They are prevented, solely by dint of their sexual preference, from receiving that marriage license. Any straight couple can choose to get a marriage license OR a domestic partnership license. These California citizens are enjoying a legal state conferred by the state that other Californians cannot. That is the crux of the matter.

I'm not sure what this ruling does... shit on religion/culture? So be it. Fine.

No, it upholds the California constitution as the law of the land. This is a legally conservative ruling. It is not derived from bench law or some legal principle pulled from the asses of the majority judges. They specifically cite the long history of interpretation of the California constitution as why Prop 22 is unconstitutional.

This has little to do with inclusion (see some of the comments in here that are making it a non-religious vs religious argument). The Western Culture has advanced and survived via man/woman relationships for thousands of years, not from same sex partnerships... it's how we've survived and evolved as a species... and this is to do what??? Further that cause for that union, and call it marriage... because the Christians call it that and men/women call it that, and we feel left out? I don't get it.

No. The state calls it, "marriage." It doesn't matter what the Christians, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Zoroastrians, or Ramtha channelers call it. The state has an institution of social existence defined as, "marriage." Religion does not enter into at all and, indeed, it would be inappropriate if it did.

As I pointed out in another post, the Supreme Court of the United States has ruled that procreation is not a compelling reason for the protection of marriage. Otherwise we could legally deny marriage to anyone who is infertile due to injury, deformity, age, or personal choice and fertility has never been considered to be a condition of marriage at any time in American law.

It is important to note that the vacation of Prop 22 in no way argues that straight couples should not be allowed to be married. Allowing gays to marry does not stop straight couples from marrying and procreating or not.

Californians get the rights/privileges, and thankfully (as with my friend) the challenges and drawbacks. Is this the "left out of the country club" or "never joined a sorority/fraternity" feeling?.. I'm sure other states have it much worse, but California, Mass, NY.... come on.......

Other states do, but California's courts can only consider the law as it exists in California. Fraternal organizations and country clubs are private institutions, not public. A public institution, per California's constitution, must be open and available to any Californian who qualifies for that institution regardless of any personal factors.

If same-sex "marriage" will mainstream everyone, than great. We can then eliminate all the LGBT organizations that permeate our schools, corporations and daily life. Gays can be lawyers, neighbors, etc... vs having to be gay lawyers, gay neighbors... somehow I doubt it. The rights of the masses, yet the individuality. I think many heteros see "marriage" as part of their individuality, yet are all in favor of the same-sex partnership right prescribed in the State of California.

Same sex marriage only extends an existing right to a disenfranchised population within the state itself. It does not equate to social acceptance. The state may have to recognize homosexuals as equal before the law, but private individuals do not. The decision does not state that everyone has to believe that homosexuality is socially acceptable or moral. Because it does not do those things, indeed no decision could, there will still be a need for gays to work to defend their rights. Homosexuals are not asking for any privilege straight people do not already enjoy. They are simply asking for a right that straight people already enjoy. You do not have to like homosexuality or believe it is moral, but you do have to respect the right of individuals to live their private lives as they see fit and enjoy equal protection and equal consideration under the law.

I don't know... I just say leave the hetero marriage lifestyle be... since there's so much individuality and the rights are already afforded to same sex unions... someone can explain. Not purposely posing as ignorant. Same-sex relationships are different, just as hetero relationships are different. But I'm seeing this as more of a sucker punch on the establishment, vs. the actual rights of what they seek.

There is individuality because the law enshrines individuality as a right. If marriage were solely a religious institution then the state would have no right to intervene. Indeed, the state cannot force churches to marry anyone no matter what the laws are. Unfortunately, marriage is an institution of state even though it's derived from religion. Had marriage been the sole province of the churches then there would be no argument. Churches are private institutions.

If you believe hetero and homo relationships are different then you must acknowledge that there are differing standards within heterosexual marriages. What rules a marriage adheres to are up to the couple within the marriage. That means a marriage could allow multiple partners, separate habitation, or no sexual relations and still be a marriage even though such concepts do not meet the common definition of marriage. The point is that society leaves it up to the married couples to decide what is best for their marriage. Homosexual couples simply want the same thing.

I can propose eternal union with a cactus, do I need the state to recognize it? Is it discriminatory to then propose that we classify marriages in California as "straight marriages" vs "same-sex marriage"? Or what will surely boil some bubbles ...."pro-creation marriages" or "evolutionary superior marriages"... you get my point. Culture and religion are not synonymous. Perhaps in 10, no 5 years, we'll see a "Hetero Student Union" in a Berkeley high school. Imagine that? Or is doctrine that the minority is only subject to oppression? Folly.

You're very right in saying culture and religion are not synonymous. Again, unfortunately, marriage is perhaps the single most obvious case of government establishing a religious ritual as a legal institution. Short of the government dissolving all legal marriages and returning marriage to a purely religious institution, we have to recognize that so long as legal marriage exists, it must be extended to all citizens who seek to enter it because the cornerstone of our legal system is that all citizens are equal before the law. It's taken a long time to get to that point as the struggle of women, the disabled, and minorities has shown, but past error does not justify continued error in the body of law.

I see many getting their jollys because they feel this ruling steps on the nads of certain religions (if not all, especially Muslims.. wonder how this news is being carried by Al Jezerra [digression]) and beliefs... sorry you had a bad experience with all that, that is why you left it in the first place.

I have no doubt some people are thrilled that this angers some religious groups. If they do, so what? Religion has no place in the body of law and again, no religion is being forced to accept homosexuality as a valid moral existence. No religion will be forced to perform gay marriages. We know that suffrage for women and blacks angered many religious groups as well. On the other hand, some religious groups will be made happy by this ruling. Unless we can say which religion is superior, we cannot say whose viewpoint is more valid. As the founding tenet of any religion is faith, not fact, that argument is moot.

Along the lines, of the spirit of individuality (whether right or wrong) this feels like a last hope for many heterosexuals. Many/most straight Californians are NOT religious... if anything they are lightly religious, and feel the man/woman/pro-creation thing is still pertinent.

Removing the procreation argument as pointless (no state or religion requires fertility as a basis for marriage), you're left with people simply thinking, "what is right." That's all well in good in the private sphere where homosexuals leave heterosexuals to believe what they want, but this is the public sphere. Californians have already agreed, via their constitution and the body of law created within its framework, and in their dual role as US citizens who honor that constitution and the body of law within its framework, that equality before the law is an essential value of public life. Americans in general, and Californians perhaps more than others, recognize that to be truly free we must all enjoy the same opportunities, rights, and privileges that our governments confer. Time and again American and Californian law has upheld the right of the individual to be equal in the institution of law and government. What we make of these opportunities, and even if we avail ourselves of them, is solely at our discretion. As no one is above the law, so no one should be beneath it either. As far as the governments of our nation must be concerned, equality is essential.

I can use the Koran as toilet paper too... it's the US afterall. You can do what you want, and should be afforded equal protection I suppose.

I understand it's a societal gain of rights and recognition... I do. I just see it as a word.

If it's just a word, then why defend it so vigorously? Clearly there must be more to it or you'd be spending your life as an English professor. I don't dismiss that this issue isn't without passionate beliefs on both sides, much of those beliefs couched in morality. This ruling is upsetting to many people. What I do hope people will do is set aside that passion and look at the issue in a strictly legal and public sense. Americans are quick to talk about individual liberties and how, "...all men are born equal," but if we truly believe these things then we must act in their honor in our public lives. We must learn to tolerate our differences in public life and recognize that a system of law that denies liberties to one segment of the population is a risk to the liberties of all segments of the population.

True conservatives (I'm one), should be able to see the necessity of this without too much problem. As our governments cannot enshrine any particular religion within its system, so we cannot enshrine any religious peculiarity within that system. Our governments should afford all citizens equal rights, equal opportunities, and equal treatment. Otherwise the government should get out of the way and let us live our lives to whatever purpose we make of them.

Nikkiwadlin

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Why should anyone care who I choose as my life partner? I don't get it, what is the difference if I choose to marry a woman or a man or a chimp. The religious hypocrites can have marriage if they want, I'll take civil union as the legal term.

auncut10in

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
San Francisco (California, United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I
I'm not sure what this ruling does... shit on religion/culture? So be it. Fine. This has little to do with inclusion (see some of the comments in here that are making it a non-religious vs religious argument). The Western Culture has advanced and survived via man/woman relationships for thousands of years, not from same sex partnerships... it's how we've survived and evolved as a species... and this is to do what??? Further that cause for that union, and call it marriage... because the Christians call it that and men/women call it that, and we feel left out? I don't get it. Californians get the rights/privileges, and thankfully (as with my friend) the challenges and drawbacks. Is this the "left out of the country club" or "never joined a sorority/fraternity" feeling?.. I'm sure other states have it much worse, but California, Mass, NY.... come on.......
I

Jason did a great job in answering your questions. Whether you take the time to understand what he is saying is another matter. I just want to comment additionally on this one part of your argument. It seems to be one of the main reasons people object to the acceptance of all people in the state of California getting equal treatment under the law. It was the main legal argument presented to the Supreme Court of California.

Marriage has been around for a long time in human history. It has changed and evolved significantly over the years and from culture to culture. It is radically different today then what it was even 100 years ago. When this country was founded, marriage gave the husband virtually complete control over his wife and children. Divorce was virtually unheard of. A husband could do what he wanted with his "property". Even today there are some cultures that feel they have the RIGHT to kill their wives if she violates that contract.

We also have a long history in both the laws and culture in this country of equal rights. It is one of the founding cornerstones of the constitution of the United States. In fact it may be the whole driving force behind the founding of this country. That right has been and should continue to be defended and upheld in every part of our culture and laws as long as it exists. In our culture separate but equal "shits" as you put it on that culture.

There are churches in this country (United Church of Christ for one) that want to and have been marrying same sex couples even where the law does not allow that. Do you think your churches beliefs should dictate what those churches believe and practice? Don't you think that your beliefs also "shit" on their beliefs? Should we have the government determine what a church can and can not practice? More importantly should the government tell a church how to practice marriage?

Western civilization has survived for thousands of years with gays being a part of it. That is also a long cultural history as well. Sometimes being gay was accepted and inclusive, other times being gay met you were thrown into the gas chamber with the Jews. So which western culture concerning gays do you want to embrace? Don't you think that you strengthen not weaken our culture in the United States by defending the civil rights of all of its citizens?

Nikkiwadlin

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Faceking.... I somewht agree, afterall, Heters have fucked up marriage totally! If I want to marry my lawn, why not, file jointly, ok afterall my lawn does comtribute to the household, example, Oranges, grapefruit, avacodos, limes, limon's, shall I go on? Just get a pre nup. Who I love, or lust ain't Jim swaggerts business, vicea versa. I say fuck the religious right. Don't get me started. Bush is the worst Pres we had!

HotBulge

Worshipped Member
Media
Lowells talk to Cabots, Cabots talk to God
Now we'll get to see flaming homosexuals on Divorce Court!

Fair is fair. Massachusetts, which adopted gay marriage in 2004, has also worked through the issues of divorce. California will do the same as well. It doesn't The bottom line is that civil rights have been upheld in California! The Earth will continue to rotate on its axis and revolve around the sun, now that California has adopted same-sex marriage.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
And what did gay/same-sex marriage in achieve????...after all love-is-love as someone stated. course I'm not sure what the "couples laws" were before. But... last I checked California already offers same-sex couples who register as domestic partners the same legal rights and responsibilities as married spouses, including the right to divorce and to sue for child support. Huh??? So what was the big victory, to be defined sexually like a hetero couple... somewhat ass-backwards (pun intended)

It goes deeper than having the title. If same sex marriage is legalized, it benefits the couple when filing out for state & federal taxes, life insurance, medical coverage, AND it also prevents the government from trying to nullify a deceased one's last will, forcing all of their assest to go to the state instead of their life partner. It's a little technical loophole that people seem to forget, except when the government finds time to act on it.

alex8.5

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It's about time. My B/F and I got married in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada last summer. I still call him my B/F can't get used to calling him my husband. Anyway, if California is now legal, i think we'd like to get re married here in L.A.

We'll see what happens, politicians are always looking to fuck people over.