California fines Mormon Church for breaking the law

Discussion in 'Politics' started by TomCat84, Jun 15, 2010.

1. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
  2. SpeedoMike

Gold Member

I hate to say it, but this is probably headed for the federal courts and when it reaches the (9th district?) ultra-liberal court of appeals in San Francisco it will be overturned. am I sarcastic? yeah!

3. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    I doubt it. I think they can appeal it to California courts only- so unless the Mormons want to challenge federal laws which allow states to limit the free speech of churches, then there's nothing they can do to seek a remedy from federal courts.

4. midlifebear

Gold Member

TomCat84:

Thanks for starting this thread. I'm amused that the article noted that some regard Ewetaw as a Theo-democratic State. There are pockets of "normal" people within it's borders such as the voting population of Salt Lake City (not Salt Lake Valley or County), Price (a coal mining town with a majority of third and fourth generation Greek Orthodox, Italian Catholics and Japanese), and the folks from Colorado who have pretty much taken over Moab (slick rock country famous for river rafting, mountain biking and general center for spooking about 5 National Parks).

But the 75% of the State House of Representatives and Senate may even be a percentage point higher these days. Add to that that the majority of those voted into those offices are Realtors with mostly high school educations and you've got some major obstacles to deal with when championing causes that don't conform to "the Church's" way of thinking.

Regardless, despite what they "officially" espouse, Ewetaw is the most anti-gay State of the entire 50. Even Colorado Springs, a thriving and burgeoning evangelical christian stronghold in the State of Colorado, has more gay bars. Those bars advertised as "gay" in various guides are, in fact, basically cliquish watering holes for an aging generation of gay alcoholics; The Trap (a private club) and The Radio City Lounge (a beer tavern).

However, Salt Lake City has a spiffy GLBT Center with a professional staff fighting the good fight. Yet, Ewetaw ranks as one of the highest in gay bashings, which all local police forces try their damndest to make sure are not classified as "hate crimes." One reason for a high rate of gay bashings and low record of hate crimes is because the local police are often the ones doing the gay bashings.

Such a lovely place to make sure you avoid spending any disposable income if you happen to be gay.

5. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    They only got fine 5,539 bucks! WTF?

6. sbat

sbat New Member

The church is low in liquid assets?

7. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    Like I said, their tax-exempt status in California should be revoked

8. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    I find this last tidbit at the bottom of the article more interesting than the puny fine and technical wrist-slap:

With all eyes on California's Prop 8, it's not surprising that so little involvement could be attributed directly to the LDS. But if they got lazy in Maine (or, more likely, had a less-competent team working what they considered a back-water state), then this will all get most interesting.

9. B_talltpaguy

B_talltpaguy New Member

Totally agree that their tax exempt status should be revoked... They KNEW they were breaking the law, yet did it anyways. Churches, above all other organizations, must be held to the standards they set for themselves, if not by their own account, then by society at large.

Should have been more like $553k, if not $5.53million to be an actual punishment.

Draft saved Draft deleted