California Pizza, Chicago Pizza, or New York Pizza?

tim36

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
New York pizza, there is just something they do extra, it seems, nothing like it in the country, delicious.

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
OK, you can flame me here, but the best Pizza comes from Italy, D'uh. Personal favourites have been from Milan and then Naples, but life isn't long enough to enjoy all the great pizza from Italy.

Has to be thin crust, anything with 50000 calories of dough isn't pizza. Sorry Sam :smile:

And yes, wine, red, with pizza :cool:, perhaps a little bit of ruff-ino vino.

Sergeant_Torpedo

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Great to see such a sophisticated, critical nation nation enjoying a good basic peasant staple. Trouble is you put American made cheese on it and it immediately becomes junk. Improve your cheese production and then you can enjoy real pizza, otherwise you will just have to keep flying to Italy for the genuine article.

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Great to see such a sophisticated, critical nation nation enjoying a good basic peasant staple. Trouble is you put American made cheese on it and it immediately becomes junk. Improve your cheese production and then you can enjoy real pizza, otherwise you will just have to keep flying to Italy for the genuine article.

WTF?

Assumption, supposition, arrogance, sarcasm and nationalism in a thread about pizza.

BTW, NOBODY, ANYWHERE puts American cheese on pizza.

OCMuscleJock

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
If I'm gonna eat pizza... I prefer Chicago style. NY pizza is too greasy for me and California style...well it's blah! THE BEST Pizza is the real Italian style....but not many places around where I live make it like that.
*Personal fave* White Pizza ... Garlic Bread thin crust! nomnomnomnom

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Places outside the NY tri-state area who advertise as "NY style" usually suck. Due to the large number of Italians in a concentrated area, there are many pizzerias and thus they have to be at least somewhat good to stay in business.
When I lived in Massachusetts, but traveled nationwide for work; my boss and I had a rule for pizza. Never eat pizza north of Boston, south of Philly, or west of the Berkshires. :cool: As for New England Clam Chowder if it's not made in a state that touches the Atlantic ocean I don't want it. :no:

New York pizza, there is just something they do extra, it seems, nothing like it in the country, delicious.
As a Jersey girl born and bred I fell the need to say that there are MANY, excellent pizza parlors in New Jersey. This is probably because so many Italians fled New York in the late 1960's after the riots. :rolleyes:

OK, you can flame me here, but the best Pizza comes from Italy, D'uh. Personal favourites have been from Milan and then Naples, but life isn't long enough to enjoy all the great pizza from Italy.

Has to be thin crust, anything with 50000 calories of dough isn't pizza. Sorry Sam :smile:
Agreed!

And yes, wine, red, with pizza :cool:, perhaps a little bit of ruff-ino vino.
Having spent a semester in Italy many moons ago I would tend to agree; but that wasn't the question. :biggrin1:

Best pizza I had in Naples was actually from a street vendor. :eek: Yes! pizza from a man, with a cart, across from the Naples Museum. It was more rustic like a Boboli; but the sauce, mozzarella cheese, and basil were so fresh and flavorful they almost made me weep with joy.

Down the coast a bit is a small town called Vico Equense. On the main street of the town is a ristorante where everything is good! I ate there everyday for a week and never had a bad meal.

I had a seminar class based on the life and art of St. Francis of Assisi. We met in the Basilica of St. Francis of Assisi twice a week for 6 weeks. It was AWESOME!! This was the summer of 1996, pre-earthquake.

One day, using my best pidgin' Italian, I asked one of the guides where I could get a nice, inexpensive meal, away from the rest of the loud, ugly Americans. He laughed and directed me to a place on the other side of the mountain. It was awesome; and I can't remember the name of it. :headache: :frown1:

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If I'm gonna eat pizza... I prefer Chicago style. NY pizza is too greasy for me and California style...well it's blah! THE BEST Pizza is the real Italian style....but not many places around where I live make it like that. *Personal fave* White Pizza ... Garlic Bread thin crust! nomnomnomnom
If the pizza is greasy, and there is no pepperoni on it; then they are using fake or cheap cheese. :puke: Good, buffalo mozzarella is not greasy.

As for wine, of course Italian food is best when complimented with a nice wine. :yup:

I am NOT a wine connoisseur. That said, I like the cheap stuff. :biggrin1: With plain pizza, I like the Luna di Luna in the blue bottle or Beringer's White Zinfandel. With sausage or pepperoni pizza I like the Beringer's White Merlot. I find the Kendall-Jackson Chardonnay better with shrimp scampi and other pasta dishes but for my country girl palate, it seems to complement non-pizza dishes best. :cool:

Sometimes, I do like a white pie with broccoli. :yup: Not too often though as I am lactose intolerant. Ricotta does a number on my tummy I would prefer not to discuss. Yes, a good white pie should have mozzarella, ricotta, some parmesan and maybe a touch of fontina. :smile:

In New Jersey we call it "pizza pie" or "pie" for short. :biggrin:

Last edited:

ZOS23xy

Sexy Member
Media
I've had pizza from all over. My son in law delivers pizza. Sometimes he brings home several pies that didn't sell.

I've gotten very bored with the stuff.

I do however like taking two slices of cheese pizza, act like they are slices of bread and putting roast beef and swiss between the slices and making a pizza sandwich...

TopDudeFtl

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Ah, the great pizza debate. Yet another reason I love this site.

I prefer a thick Chicago style pizza but enjoy a good New York pizza every once in a while. Locally, for Chicago style I enjoy the "All Meaty" from Jet's Pizza with extra cheese & butter crust. For New York style I go to Primanti Brothers. When I make pizza at home, as in the case tonight, I start with a Boboli crust, sun dried tomato alfredo sauce, grilled chicken, bacon, mushrooms and lots of cheese.

sdbg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I have to go with New York style pizza. Here's a tip for those who live in the northeast.

Bruni's Pizza in Hammonton, New Jersey - authentic Italian pizza just like the kind that became famous in New York City. In the late '50s, Fernando Pasquini and his Uncle Bruni came from Italy and each opened a pizza shop with their fabulous pizza. Pasquini's in Pleasantville, NJ, and Bruni's in Hammonton, NJ. I never ate cheese until I tried Pasquini pizza. I was hooked. Mr. Pasquini died in the late '70s. His wife and son sold the business and they returned to Italy. The new owners of Pasquini only stayed in business a year and it folded.

Uncle Bruni sold his business to a young couple after I moved to the west. I went there back in the summer of 2000. It was that same magical pizza that I remember from my teen years. I told the owner that if they could bring their pizza to San Diego, that they would be rich because there is nothing even close. In San Diego, the best that I've found is Bronx Pizza in Hillcrest.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Try this website: http://slice.seriouseats.com/

I have it favorited in my web browser.

They have everything that you want to know about pizza. They even have some recipes.

I don't like picking favorites in regard to pizza. I like some pizzas but not all pizzas. I haven't eaten a decent frozen pizza so NO on frozen. Yuck!

D

deleted3782

I like my pizzas just as I like my dicks: thick and hot (the Neapolitan style) is better than the thin and crispy (Lazio/Roman-style). :cool:

Just back from Italy, and I ate A LOT of pizza. :rolleyes: