California Special Election Day is today

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
May 19 Elections: How Should You Vote?

Was curious where the SF Chronicle stood on the propositions... as one poster left a comment: "Thanks for your endorsements on these hard-to-understand propositions, Chron. If you support them all, then I know to vote "No" on each of them..."

Shows you how out of touch the liberal-based (though most are) newspapers are. These props are going to get cruuuuushed IMHO. Although the Bay Guardian across the board NO is surprising.

Proposition: 1A 1B 1C 1D 1E 1F
San Francisco Chronicle
Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Santa Rosa Press Democrat
Yes No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Los Angeles Times Yes No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Sacramento Bee
Yes No Yes Yes Yes Yes
San Francisco Bay Guardian No No No No No No
San Diego Union-Tribune No No No No No No
Riverside Press-Enterprise Yes No No Yes Yes Yes
Los Angeles Daily News Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
San Jose Mercury News Yes Yes Yes No Yes Yes
Orange County Register No No No No No No

Last edited:

And people outside of California are supposed to give a fuck about this because...

They're not. I think it's kind of interesting. They're props to divert funding and expand social programs and cap pol's pay during deficit years.

I'd vote 'no,' on all of them except for the last one. I don't know why that last one should be a 'no,' for the conservative newspapers unless they're just looking to expand the oligarchy.

Any authorization to divert funding is a disaster in the making. That rainy day fund had better have a restriction that prevents lawmakers from using it as a slush fund for pet projects so that it isn't left with a bunch of IOUs like Social Security is.

D_Tully Tunnelrat

Experimental Member
Media
May 19 Elections: How Should You Vote?
Shows you how out of touch the liberal-based (though most are) newspapers are. These props are going to get cruuuuushed IMHO. Although the Bay Guardian across the board NO is surprising.

Thanks for the post FK. It does not surprise me that the most liberal rag, the Guardian, is recommending against all the Props. Brugman is independent rather than robotically liberal. I am generally a lib, at least socially, but will vote no on all simply because if the Assembly had done their job, and reached a working compromise, these Props should never have been on the ballot in the first place. All these measures would make CA's budget woes even worse in the future.

Ahhrnie's cutting of the car tax was the worse case of election pandering, fiscally damaging frauds in CA history, and helped create this fiscal hole now a crater, which we are all sliding into. Can't wait for Ahrnie's real Hasta la Vista - Baby.

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I'm not from California but this time Face has started a thread I really respect.

don't forget that today is the special election.

Don't care which side you vote on, just educate yourself on the propositions first.

The lack of an educated, motivated electorate in this county is deplorable and I applaud anyone who works to get out the vote.

Last edited:

The lack of an educated, motivated electorate in this county is deplorable and I applaud anyone who works to get out the vote.

Even if they pull the lever just because they like one name better than another? Ooh! Just like voting for Coroner!

Is an uninformed voter better than an informed one? I tend to lean to the opposite. Let the informed do the voting and everyone else stay away though I would not deny them the right to vote.

LambHair McNeil

Experimental Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
California Propositions: 1A 1B 1C 1D 1E 1F
California Voters Said: No No No No No Yes

Link

A-E failed with over 60% of state voters saying "no" on them, while F passed with about 75% agreeing. It limited assemblymen/women from giving themselves raises while the state is in a deficit. Hardly seems like you'd HAVE to subject THAT to a vote of the people, but oh well.

LambHair McNeil

Experimental Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Apparently, ~40% of the CA electorate are complete morons.

I'm just surprised they didn't say "no" by larger margins.

But the question of the day is that since Ah-nold is in DC, is he asking Obama for a bailout of the state? They want the US Govt to back CA's debt, guaranteeing it, so they can go and issue more. If Obama agreed to that, then what would be the philosophical basis for saying "no" to the other 47 states currently running a deficit if they asked?

Last edited:

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Even if they pull the lever just because they like one name better than another? Ooh! Just like voting for Coroner!

Is an uninformed voter better than an informed one? I tend to lean to the opposite. Let the informed do the voting and everyone else stay away though I would not deny them the right to vote.

Apparently you either misunderstood or misread my post. I was using the term "educated" in the same manner as the OP; not to mean formal education per se, but to mean 'as to the issues at hand'.

D_Tully Tunnelrat

Experimental Member
Media
Hardly seems like you'd HAVE to subject THAT to a vote of the people, but oh well.

Because the Prop system's threshold to put any Prop on the ballot is so low (as it is based on only 5% of the electorate..), everything is subject to the will of the voter, which is part of the reason CA is in so much fiscal trouble. If, as an arbitrary example, schools are guaranteed 50% of the budget, health care 25%, and state parks 15%, street sweeping 11%, etc., you quickly are spending 125% of your budget. So, if the Assembly cannot agree on a budget matter, they simply punt and put it before an uninformed electorate. I say uninformed because, even if you read ALL the written (in print and online) Prop subject matter, and if you live in SF, as I do, it can reach up to 400 total pages for both State and local Props (and that's just the official stuff from the Dept. of Elections...), there is no way to accurately determine the precise financial effects of many Props, which is why more and more of them are going down to defeat. It's a good general idea, but the system, as all do overtime, has been gamed by all parties, especially the special interests.

Backing of CA's debt is a tricky issue... CA is still somewhere around the 10th largest economy in the world, just by itself. So, if you mess with it, you are messing with approximately 1/3 of the US economy. No question CA has to reform the question of how to raise taxes, as it currently requires a 66% super majority. This is on the calendar for another Prop next year. More importantly, CA has to limit entitlement spending, which the Dems are never willing to do, but must as the entitlement system must be reset as it is with our entire economy. Reform of Prop 13, at least on a commercial basis, will have to happen. Life in the "Golden" State is never a a dull ride.