California wildfires

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by ital8, Aug 30, 2009.

1. ital8

ital8 New Member

Anyone from the L.A. region? I've been following this story and it appears the fires are getting worse. Any personal experiences? Best of luck to all that are affected.

2. novice_btm

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    Seriously, yesterday, when I was heading towards downtown on the 10, from the angle that I was at, it looked like downtown had been bombed. There was a huge, and I mean HUGE mushroom-like cloud that was frightening. It's actually farther back, in the hills, but it's an incredibly frightful sight. Some friends of mine live over that way, but they're out of town, so haven't gotten any first-hand info yet.

3. ital8

ital8 New Member

That sounds pretty scary. I've just read that the fires are threatening some 10,000 homes. I've never been to L.A. except for a stopover at LAX so I'm not that familiar with the surrounding areas. I take it the fires are coming close to some densely populated areas.

4. novice_btm

Albums:
    Yup, just heard a report that it's 35,000 acres, and only 5% containment.

5. OCMuscleJock

Gold Member

Albums:
    the particulate is all the way down here in laguna.....late night it smells like someone is using their fireplace. Really fucking with my sinus's too.

6. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    Marshmellons anyone?

7. novice_btm

Albums:
    Over 105,000 acres, last I heard. Another huge problem is that there are over 30 communications towers (radio, TV, cell, satellite) on Mt. Wilson that are threatened, along with the major historic observatory. To top it off, we're in the middle of a heatwave, which isn't helping the fire, and has put the rest of us on a power alert (brown-out today at work), and the horrible smell of smoke and particulate, is inescapable.

8. D_Portelay Porquesword

This heat wave is the worst. I have not had the good fortune to encounter the smoke and ash this time. The last few wild fires, I was either very close to or could smell.

I am praying for a break in the heat.:firedevil: I ain't joking either.

9. cdarro

cdarro New Member

Does this happen evey year, or this a particularly bad one? Is it due to a severe drought. or is it a more or less normal occurence?

10. novice_btm

Albums:
    Fires apparently do have a natural cycle, but that cycle can be somewhat managed by clearing away brush, etc. A recent "green" trend, has been to hire (I'm totally serious) a herd of goats, and turn them loose for a week or so, to eat all of the undergrowth. Unlike many other animals that focus on select plants in their diet, goats will eat indiscriminately, and do an amazing job clearing away smaller brush. The problem in this particular area, is that there hasn't been any kind of fire, or significant clearing, in 50-60 years, according to all of the reports. So, this fire has more readily available fuel than any of the other major recent fires have had.

Draft saved Draft deleted