California will vote on legalizing weed

Discussion in 'Politics' started by TurkeyWithaSunburn, Mar 26, 2010.

1. TurkeyWithaSunburn

Gold Member

Albums:
    Californians to vote on pot legalization to fix the budget - Mar. 25, 2010

Seems that there have been more than enough signatures collected to put on the ballot in Nov. It'll be taxed and regulated like alcohol. It's estimated to bring in $1.3B in taxes:eek: That's a lot of money.

The smell of pot has always made me want to vomit. But if someone else wants to use it not near me that's fine. I've always thought legalizing it and taxing the hell out of it like the other "sin taxes" would be better than having it prohibited. We all know how well Alcohol Prohibition worked. :rolleyes: I just wonder how much of the drug trade will migrate from the illegal to legal venues if it manages to pass.

I'm sure there will be all sorts of new farming opportunities, people will be growing it before they grow tomatoes in the backyard.

Long article about the increasing legalization of cannabis. Did you know there are FOUR people in the entire US who the federal government SUPPLIES with marijuana? :eek: Ironically it's supplied by the National Institute of Drug Abuse. If it does pass and is legalized it'll be interesting to see how the states rights vs federal government issue will be settled.

I wonder if some cotton farmers would switch to hemp and make the original blue jeans of old. Since the law would make growing cannabis legal. There are some varieties of cannabis that couldn't get you high if you smoked a truckload of it, but it is still illegal to grow because it is the cannabis plant.

2. justasimpleguy

justasimpleguy Active Member

Albums:
    Hells fucking yeah. If only we could end the War on Drugs nationwide. Think of the money to be made. Think of the hundreds of thousands of people who wouldn't be in prison for nonviolent drug offenses. Think of all the time cops would have to go after actual criminals.

3. Zeuhl34

Gold Member

Albums:
    *crosses fingers*

I believe OR, NV, and WA are all also trying to collect signatures for ballot initiatives this November (though I could be mistaken).

4. therarity84

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I guess I lose out. I know they won't be legalizing it in TN anytime soon...:rolleyes:

5. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    $50 an ounce? Ouch. With that kind of tax, I think much of it will continue to be bought and sold on the black market. I'm not all that knowledgeable on pot, but isn't an ounce only $40 or so anyway?

6. therarity84

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    A "friend" told me it's $100 for an ounce...:27:

7. Countryguy63

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Pssst...I'm renting a bedroom for anyone interested (includes good fertile land) lol :wink: :biggrin1:

8. midlifebear

Gold Member

Last "ounce" I bought cost more than $350. And I don't even smoke it. But we always have a little container of "joints", "doobies", what have you rolled in various pastel tobacco papers for guests who prefer a glass of mineral water and a toke to the usually good bottles of local wines we keep around for the same purpose -- entertaining guests. But if you smoke tobacco, you have to do it outside. :smile:

The police in Barcelona don't get their panties in a bunch unless they find a BMW with a trunk loaded with kilos. :eek:

9. justasimpleguy

justasimpleguy Active Member

Albums:
    Yeah, you're talking more like $40 or $50 for an 1/8th or so. An ounce is a shitload of weed. But you didn't hear it from me.

10. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    Eh, I think the price varies greatly depending on what region you're in. I would imagine it would be much cheaper in California.

11. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    But I could be wrong ;)

12. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    Ok, I'm talking out of my ass :)

13. therarity84

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    LOL yeah I think it just depends on where you're located. The last time my "friend" bought an ounce was about 3 years ago so who knows. All I know is that weed harms no one but the person using it, if anything. It's extremely rare that you hear of someone going on a rampage and slaughtering people while high on green. It has the opposite effect actually. At least that's what I've heard. You know...from the "friend"...:cool:

14. midlifebear

Gold Member

I was video taping a sand sculptor on the beach in Santa Barbara last October who volunteered without being asked that "You can buy some damn righteous herb for $100 bucks and a doctor's prescription in this town." But he said it certainly wasn't a "lid like the old days," indicating that it was enough for eight or nine joints.

As for "going apeshit" on the stuff, all it ever did was make me anxious and when loaded I'd immediately start cleaning the house, yard, car, and hosing down stray pets until everything and everyone was shiny and bright. It's not my preferred type of altered state.

15. D_Portelay Porquesword

The medical pot shops are abundant in LA right now, having sampled some of it...Lawdy.

I hope it passes, lots of people suffering from side effects of chemo treatments and HIV will benefit from it.

Draft saved Draft deleted