Call me a jerk but...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by B_Carolina, Jan 5, 2005.

1. B_Carolina

B_Carolina New Member

...I knew the ellipses (sp?) would pull you in.

Anywho, call me a jerk but is anyone else tired of seeing 7-8 consecutive new threads "just wanting to introduce myself" ??

Most of the new users at this blog-ish community sign up to make that one statement and just as quickly dissolve into the simulacral realm from whence they came. That is to say, they're wham bam thank you ma'am posters.

So here's an idea that perhaps new users should pick up on. How about you just jump into any discussion you find at LPSG and stick an introductory tagline onto your first post.

I first got this idea after seeing someone "piggy back off a thread." They said their bit and then said hello.

Coming to the Meet and Greet just to say "hey howdy" isn't necessary to validate your opinion. Your opinion has been validated since birth. Members here want to see active discussion. If anything, it's frustrating to see the Meet and Greet bogged down with the "hey howdies" that don't amount to much more than filler.

Think about it in real life terms. How Haggard would you become if you had to go through your day saying, "welcome" to everyone you came across. Now imagine that a flock of countless people are following you around watching you welcome everyone you see. Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather see the effort expended on either general chat or actual advice.

And I know some will say, but it's called Meet and Greet for a reason. Fine, fine. If you're still gonna make a new thread just to say "hey howdy," at least give us some of your likes, dislikes, fears, passions, concerns, dreams, goals, aspirations, et al. I guess, the ideal way for these sorts of online communities to work is to have members learn more about each other through thread conversations instead of all-too-brief "new from insert location here just wanted to say hi." Just saying is all...

Someone please put me in my place and tell me to slink back off under the rock I crawled from. It's too early to make some grandiose online statement. And I'm probably being an asshat but oh wells.

P.S. You guys have no idea how long I had to work just to save up for all these five dollar words. My whole damn summer .... for nada. Le sigh.

2. D_Humper E Bogart

D_Humper E Bogart New Member

Hey! You're not going under the rock while I'm under it!

A very valid point, I do greet, but it's pretty odd why so newbies don't post in the first place! Very, very strange.

I know that I didn't ever post a "Hey, I'm a n00b!" first post.

3. GrieverSpirit

GrieverSpirit New Member

Being the last n00b to post one of those... posts I guess I'll respond. I saw it pointless to do it so I thought i'd just welcome someone else new and introduce myself at the same time; but someone else who's been on the forum longer suggested I make my own post as well. But seeing as though more people seem annoyed more than anything with the whole welcome posts I just edited mine to say nothing. Just Clarifying-- GS

4. tightfit

tightfit New Member

I think people need to 'ease' themselves into the group - I know that I did.
    I felt nervous about my first posting but, by just a simple introduction, I 'broke the ice'.

5. madame_zora

Gold Member

Yes, Carolina, you are an asshat, but a cute one, so who can be mad at you? I have mixed emotions about the noob threads, maybe we could have one in particular entitled "introduce yourself here" because you sure are right about there being tons of them who never post again. I want to welcome actual new members, but it is a bit draining to have to think of something to say to people who don't say anything about themselves. A brief intro on their interests and what brought them here is always appreciated.

6. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

"Hi, I'm new (enter stats here)." is space/time wasting.

One's first post should be either a question or a reply with the introductory information a bonus.

But it is great to see that LPSG has become so popular without becoming mainstream.

Long live LPSG's uniqueness!

7. panther111

panther111 New Member

well...since I'm one of the newbies that posted (although mine had a bit of content), I feel the need to respond. Agreed it is a little wasteful to just say hi but we are simply trying to introduce ourselves to the site in hopes of making a few acquaintances.

Some people may just need time to build up steam before they start to really contribute.

Perhaps this site should create a new thread system for quick intro's or a mechnism that automatically announces new members in a way that better gets people's attention?!

Anyway, life is good isn' it!

8. Freddie53

Gold Member

9. phillyboy8x6

phillyboy8x6 New Member

[attachmentid=74] :blink: guessing this may be my last post, but here goes...

after the "rush of shit to the heart" i went back & checked my "newbie" intro & determined that 1) since my "howdy" included other pertinent info (email addy, stats, location, orientation & pics) that i might gain your approval or at least avoid your contempt, and 2) you are indeed a raging asshole, cooler than thou, "lord of the board" jerkoff with nothing better to do than obsess over LPSG (173 posts in 8 mos? gimme a break) & try to make other people feel, well, "small" for being un-hip enough to just say "hi".

10. B_Hung Muscle

B_Hung Muscle New Member

Carolina:

IMHO, they bother me less than the insipid back-and-forth hugs and kisses that go on among a few veteran posters. 99 percent of the time these posts are little more than threadjacks that take an online conversation completely off-topic. This is much more annoying than a thread in which someone introduced him or herself.

11. Freddie53

Gold Member

Which brings us to the toic of the best censorship there is. The reader. Let the reader have the good sense to read the posts they want to and skip the ones that don't interest them.

Can't beat that kind of censorship. For me the hugs and kisses stuff is something that I live to read. but some don't like it. Well. read what you want and skip the rest. That is what I do in a library. I don't read every page of every book, now do I. No! I pick out what it is I came to read about and read that.

If I read every post here thoroughly, it would take most of the day. But common sense tells me to pick and choose which posts to read and which to ignore.

12. Imported

Gold Member

skeelicious08: Yes, it may seem wasteful, but since the actual topic of that particular segment of the board IS Meet and Greet...it shouldn't be surprising when someone posts a greeting and says they are new here. It seems awkward to just jump in on the forum and start discussing things without letting someone know a little background info on you.

13. luvnlg

Gold Member

Albums:
    I guess this is the time to introduce myself, afterall I have already posted on a few pages but never did the howdy post.
    I think that for many, who are new to the site, the Meet and Greet section seems the saftest place to start and ask questions about posting.
    I would also venture a guess that the 'Howdy' posts are something of a test.
    Just my .02

14. Imported

Gold Member

nineinchnineryep: Boy you sure seem to have created quite a thread. As another newbie, I hae had a couple emails in response to my intro but nothing else.

I noticed a couple comments in this thread hailing the values of this site but I am still waiting...

15. txquis

Gold Member

Newbie posts and intro posts do not bug me.
    I can skip them if i want.

I also agree that many people are nervous at first, and need
    to ease in slowly rather than jump in the deep end.

Sometimes, i think there are some uninformed newbies (not all, but some)
    who first open this site expecting it to be a personals site,
    or primarily a joke, or something.
    That isnt what it has evolved into.
    It is just a little street where old and new friends meet to discuss
    sex and penises.

There is great confusion about where to post topics, that is true.

16. hungthick

hungthick New Member

i like the idea carolina

17. Imported

Gold Member

NineInchCock_160IQ:
    considering this folder is called "meet and greet"..... no. If you don't want to read posts of people introducing themselves you should probably avoid this directory entirely.

18. Pappy

Pappy Member

I do believe that the original purpose of the "Meet and Greet" topic was for introductions of newbies. While I do agree that the first post should be more than a simple "Hi, I'm new" I think the topic is needed. Not only does it give newbies a place to let us know who they are, it allows them to ease into posting.

Just my 2 cents

19. reir

reir Member

Albums:
    I like the newbie posts. I like that people feel comfortable enough to introduce themselves and what they have to offer to the rest of the group.

We're all supposed to be friends here, aren't we?

Draft saved Draft deleted