Call of Duty 4 (a review)

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by b.c., Jan 18, 2008.

1. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm not a video gamer by any stretch of the imagination and haven't kept current on any of them. Not an owner of XBox or any of the big recent gaming systems. The last game I could say I played even on a regular basis was DOOM (computer version).

But recently I acquired Call of Duty 4 (having completed version 2 awhile back) and I must say this is really a classy production, and "production" it is.

Quickly you realize you're not just playing a game but involved in a kind of cinematic plot driving headlong to a cleverly crafted conclusion which the player (caught up in the climax of the moment) almost instinctively and immediately plays out to its end.

Don't want to be a spoiler, so that's all I'm going to say about it. Needless to say I was impressed by the graphics and the game play. So much so that I even tried the multiplayer version.

Let me say I'm not a multiplayer of anything, and never have tried my hand at such. Perhaps because it would involve relating to other players on a level that I was never prepared for (nor interested in). But I found myself trying my hand at this mainly because of the ease with which the program allowed me to interface and instantly find myself in a real time setting with other players.

Of course I know nothing of the particulars of the game play, barely know how to operate the controls. In this realm no better match for the term "newbie" am I. ...Don't know most of my weapons and setup options, how to message, or how to read the board. But for the most part I found servers on which I could at least participate and I'm gradually learning the ropes... until last night that is, when I was "kicked" from a server (as it were, the other players decided to vote me off).

It was on a server that had few participants (about 5 on each side) and the scenario was two teams which alternated roles of either defending a location or placing a bomb. After playing a bit I had stationed my guy in a corner and had switched to an options screen... I was trying to figure out how to load or access my customized weapons.

Well while trying to do this I noticed it had gotten real quiet like in the background. I thought the game was over, but switching back to the game screen I saw I was still there. Then I heard something like "it's up to you" or "you're the only one" - I'm not sure.

Well, I moved my little guy around but there was no one...none of the little buggers who hide out in corners sniping at you, or the ones who have earned enuf points to make themselves invisible so the sneak up behind you and take you out...nothing. Then this clock was ticking off, and the game was over. Seems they had all killed each other off (I guess) leaving only me. :rolleyes:

Well, guess they got PISSED. I saw a comment like "was he hiding out?" and another like "I didn't do much better" and next thing I knew, D_______n was being "voted off".

(LOL. Like excuse the livin f__k outta me...the prima donna little pricks.)

But all in all the gameplay and the graphics of this game take videogaming to an all new level. You'll get hooked on it, and I'm already looking forward to the next.

2. prince_will

Gold Member

Albums:
    oooh, i wanted to buy this for my ps3. pity there aren't more gaming threads!

3. Bacon101

Bacon101 New Member

Call od Duty 5 will be made by another company. I read this somewhere.

Regardless COD4: Modern Warfare is one of the greatest games of all time. Fucking awesome!

4. Skull Mason

Gold Member

Albums:
    I have tried to start a few gaming threads only to be dissed. I got it for my ps3 and play online all the time, best video game experience I have come across thus far. My ranking is 49 out of 55, I am a major general II. If you get it for ps3 my gaming tag is Skull_Mason and I am always ready to fuck some shit up.

5. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yes, I'm surprised these don't get a bit more of a response. This topic surely can't be of any more or less value than, say, the gazillionth thread about "what kind of underwear do you wear" for example.

As long as it doesn't get into too much techno babble, I'd be interesting in hearing about what other games might be considered (by some) to be of equal merit.

6. Skull Mason

Gold Member

Albums:
    I think right now COD4 is hard to beat. The ranking and perk system is genius because it keeps you coming back for more so you can increase your status. Other games like Halo don't have that, so besides for good gameplay what else is there? Resistance: Fall of Man has some great online play, although I haven't played it since I got COD4. I haven't played any other games since I got it; I have Assassins Creed and Uncharted: Drakes Fortune.

The diference between Resistance and COD4 online play is in R people tend to talk more and work together. You can get on different radio frequencies during capture the flag games etc, one for guys going after the flag, and one for those defending the flag. Better teamwork equals better gameplay, whereas in COD4 it just seems more of a free for all, regardless of what game you are playing, people are mostly silent, don't work together, and just try to get their stats up. This has been my experience thus far.

However, at this point, if you don't have Resistance, you might as well wait for Resistance II to come out.

7. Krusader

Gold Member

Albums:
    CoD 4 is the best shooter in recent memory. Online is pretty fun too

8. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

I've recently been interested in trying to find a good RPG or FPS game. My son was given an old game for PS1 by a friend of mine... it's called Vanguard Bandits... anyone ever heard of it? Well, I'm fucking addicted. The battles themselves are tricky, but the actually interface is easy. There's no guesswork as to how to do something, ya know? There's not a lot to figure out, and I like that. I don't have the patience to fuck around with a game for hours trying to figure out what I'm supposed to do, and then attempting to do it. So, needless to say, I haven't actually PURCHASED a game, because I'm afraid I'll be buying something that I won't really like. I could always rent games from Blockbuster, but for what they charge for game rentals, I might as well buy one. :rolleyes: SO... does anyone have any ideas for a good RPG game for someone with a PS2 and little gaming experience?

9. lucky8

Gold Member

amazing game...i wish it was longer tho, only took me a day to beat it. it is by far the best game to play on live tho

10. lucky8

Gold Member

assassins creed is pretty badass too

11. D_golden parachute

D_golden parachute New Member

the same company who made 3...which was the worst one of the series :/

12. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    No, I never liked role playing quest type games either...quests enuf in real life. Most here are probably too young to remember Myst. Anytime a video game needs a book to explain it...

This COD4 takes you throught the rudimentaries of game operation right from the start. You quickly get the hang of operating the game, the game itself steps you through the storyline... the rest is pretty much instinct and complete entertainment.

Glad to hear long term gamers confirm that it's as good as I thought it was.

13. bobabooey69

Gold Member

Albums:
    Great review, and I totally agree Call of Duty 4 is my favorite shooter this year, blowing away Halo 3 and Bioshock quite easily.

I love the gritty, unflinching realism of the single player story, and the addictive multiplayer.

As mentioned by Bacon, stay away from Call of Duty 5, since it will be made by another ( mediocre) company, Call Of Duty 6 should mark the return of Infinity Ward.

Draft saved Draft deleted