called out

dickbulge

Experimental Member
Media
Alas,

I just took a bus trip and found the bus company will no longer check luggage through to a destination.

Apparently they can no longer find baggage handlers, at least at the wage they are willing to pay, who can read a name tag or have any sense of geographic locations other than their own. If that. We are slowly descending to a pre-literate culture.

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Please keep in mind that I am an English teacher. I'm the one who cringes everytime he sees the sign at the express lane that reads, "12 items or less". I'm sure that 95% of the people who read it don't realise that anything is wrong, but I do and it sets my teeth on edge. I rarely mention someone's grammar or spelling on a news board except in a few instances:
•When it is so bad that it's unintelligible.
•When it's in a post where someone attempts to criticise someone's spelling or grammar, and gets it wrong.
•When a person chooses a wrong word that makes the post mean something totally different from what he intended.
•When someone gets on my nerves.
•When Snackdud used to post.
Other than that, you will rarely hear a peep out of me. Of course, there are a few personal pet peeves of mine (e.g. misspelling 'definitely' as **'definately' or **'definetly'), but I generally just grit my teeth and go on.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Originally posted by DoubleMeatWhopper@May 13 2005, 02:29 PM
Please keep in mind that I am an English teacher. I'm the one who cringes everytime he sees the sign at the express lane that reads, "12 items or less". I'm sure that 95% of the people who read it don't realise that anything is wrong, but I do and it sets my teeth on edge. I rarely mention someone's grammar or spelling on a news board except in a few instances:
•When it's in a post where someone attempts to criticise someone's spelling or grammar, and gets it wrong.
•When a person chooses a wrong word that makes the post mean something totally different from what he intended.
Other than that, you will rarely hear a peep out of me. Of course, there are a few personal pet peeves of mine (e.g. misspelling 'definitely' as **'definately' or **'definetly'), but I generally just grit my teeth and go on.
[post=310835]Quoted post[/post]​
In recent years, I've been seeing them spell it "defiantly". I think "WTF?"

coolioc

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by DoubleMeatWhopper@May 13 2005, 03:29 PM
[post=310835]Quoted post[/post]​

I'm not an English teacher DMW but I completely agree with you on all of these. When I was in the 8th grade, we had a daily "fine point of English" lesson. Whenever we learned tidbits like "12 items or fewer" instead of "12 items or less", and the proper use of who vs whom, it made my day. Nerdy? Maybe, but it did make me feel that much more literate and cultured. Those tidbits are still with me and still give me a hardon!

BTW, question for you DMW... how come you use the British spellings (s vs z) of words like "realize" and "criticize"? I am not critiquing; rather, I wonder if I can learn something from you with this.

As for the original post, I figure if you are going to even bother to start a new thread, you must communicate enough information to illicit a response. That original post reminds me of one of my constantly drunk bros (we prefer to say he's at steady state), who sometimes wakes up when passed out, blurts out something random, and passes back out.
I guess I should do what I've always done with my friend too- shrug my shoulders, smile to myself, and move on.

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by coolioc@May 14 2005, 07:46 AM
When I was in the 8th grade, we had a daily "fine point of English" lesson. Whenever we learned tidbits like "12 items or fewer" instead of "12 items or less"...

Excuse while I sit here stunned that someone actually knew what was wrong with the wording on the sign! :bounce: I have a feeling that you probably know the difference between 'further' and 'farther' as well. (Around here, most folks just lump the two of them together and say 'futher', which rhymes with 'mother'.)

BTW, question for you DMW... how come you use the British spellings (s vs z) of words like "realize" and "criticize"? I am not critiquing; rather, I wonder if I can learn something from you with this.

I have my master's degree in English literature, so the majority of the material I study on a regular basis was printed in the UK. I don't consciously differentiate between the two spelling conventions: it just comes out that way. Also remember that English is not my native language, so I didn't grow up seeing English spelt one way or the other.

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media

I have my master's degree in English literature, so the majority of the material I study on a regular basis was printed in the UK. I don't consciously differentiate between the two spelling conventions: it just comes out that way. Also remember that English is not my native language, so I didn't grow up seeing English spelt one way or the other.
[post=310921]Quoted post[/post]​
Why I didn't realize that English was not your native language is beyond me. I knew you came here at age 15. I should have realized that Spanish is your native language. I noticed all the languages you can speak. My mother studied Latin in high school. And I have known others who studied Latin as well. All the people that I have known that studied Latin have a stronger understanding of English especially verb usage. My mother says that some of the conjugation of verbs in English make much more sense if you understand Latin.

You are a brilliant person, but still it is a shame that a person who doesn't speak English as a native language knows more about it and can speak it better than many who have college degrees and English is their native tongue.

Here in Redneckville, it is the double negatives that get to me; as in "There ain't no reason why" and "I don't have no pencil." All efforts in my classroom to get the students to say "I have no pencil" or "I don't have a pencial" fell on deaf ears for the most part. The answer I got was, "It don't sound right." Then I said, "You mean it doesn't sound right."

Finally I took this approach. I called proper usage "standard English" and told them they would have to use "standard English" on written assignments" throughout all their schooling and in certain business circles they would have to use "standard English" to succeed. But what they spoke with their friends or at home was their business.

Outside the classroom, I never correct people's English. Their improper use of English doesn't give me permission to be rude and to correct someone in public is rude in my book.

I make mistakes myself. And DMW I found one mistake in all your writing which is awesome. It made me feel human and know that it is impossible to never make a mistake in English. And I know you have found many on mine. I just hope I haven't hit 100 mistakes yet, though I probably have, especially in spelling or typo mistakes.

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by Freddie53@May 14 2005, 07:59 PM
Here in Redneckville, it is the double negatives that get to me

Consider yourself lucky: I hear triple and quadruple negatives at school that are like fingernails scraping against a chalkboard to me. The one that stopped me dead in my tracks was, "Ain't nobody 'round here don't got no Allen wrenches" ... of course, 'wrenches' is pronounced 'reeenchiz'. I think I broke out in a cold sweat over that one sentence. It hurt me! Needless to say, such constructions are not allowed in my classroom, and my students have surprised themselves by finding that they actually have at their command a more formal language when the occasion calls for it. They really had no idea that they could learn how to use their language correctly. They say, "I sound like I'm in a movie!"

I just hope I haven't hit 100 mistakes yet, though I probably have, especially in spelling or typo mistakes.

I really don't keep a running tally on people's linguistic errors here: that was actually part of my point.

UgotMales

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Damn boys I did not know I was turning this in for a grade. lol Maybe I should have started a thread about the propper use of puncutation. Any who glad to see you boys riled up about something.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Originally posted by DoubleMeatWhopper@May 14 2005, 12:33 AM

[post=310921]Quoted post[/post]​
Besides which, Americans were the original l33tz. In fact, s2z and c2k are still typical l33t5p33k.

They also did a lot of PC work. They hated the word "master", so they borrowed the Dutch word for master, baas.

In other words, every intentional means of mutilating the language to annoy your English teacher has been going on for at least two centuries.

shleevo: Some personal liguistic pet peeves.

#1 "I could care less." So, you do care some? It should be "I couldn't care less."

#2 "Vetran's Day, fedral and vetrinarian" should be "Veteran's Day, federal and veterianarian."

#3 "Dethaw" should be "defrost OR thaw."

#4 "Collectables" should be "collectibles."

#5 "Bald face lie." What is that? For the non-bearded?

The list goes on and on...

steve319

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Oh, but that's just FUN! Until you remember this person probably votes...and reproduces...

(Hey, how did you do the bullets? Do they cut and paste in from Word?)

Prepare to cringe....are you guys ready? Hold onto your seats....

"Estelle, if I'd a knowed you'd a want to went, I'd a seed you'd a got to get to go."

*shudder*

For those of you who haven't seen it yet, check out Dave Barry's column from the 8th here.

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by steve319@May 15 2005, 06:15 AM
Hey, how did you do the bullets?

Hold down the alt key and type 0149 on the number pad.

"Estelle, if I'd a knowed you'd a want to went, I'd a seed you'd a got to get to go."

Gee, thanks for scaring the hell out of me! :blink:

ashlar

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by DoubleMeatWhopper+May 15 2005, 02:08 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DoubleMeatWhopper &#064; May 15 2005, 02:08 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-steve319@May 15 2005, 06:15 AM
Hey, how did you do the bullets?

"Estelle, if I&#39;d a knowed you&#39;d a want to went, I&#39;d a seed you&#39;d a got to get to go."

Gee, thanks for scaring the hell out of me&#33; :blink:
[post=311187]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

who the fuck is estelle?

dolf250

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Originally posted by coolioc@May 14 2005, 07:46 AM
As for the original post, I figure if you are going to even bother to start a new thread, you must communicate enough information to illicit a response. .
[post=310917]Quoted post[/post]​

Three pages and counting...

(I suppose, to be fair, most of the three pages are not responses to the information provided in that first post, but rather to the lack of punctuation.)

Before anybody says anything, I realize that my punctuation often sucks. I am the first to admit that throughout my life I have been guilty of writing many, many run on sentences. I now wish to take a moment to apologize to all of my old English teachers for my poor sentence structure as well as horrid hand writing. (Everybody here should count themselves fortunate that they do not have to decipher my scrawl. I have been told that based solely on my handwriting skills I ought to have become a doctor.)

steve319

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Originally posted by DoubleMeatWhopper+May 15 2005, 03:08 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DoubleMeatWhopper &#064; May 15 2005, 03:08 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Hold down the alt key and type 0149 on the number pad.[/b]

Oh, that&#39;s a simple and memorably intuitive process. Don&#39;t tell me you have that memorized.

It warms my evil heart to know that you guys are going to lose sleep over that one. Why should I suffer alone? :evilgrin:

<!--QuoteBegin-ashlar
@May 15 2005, 04:11 AM
who the fuck is estelle?
[/quote]
No idea. I&#39;m pretty good at the apropos-of-nothing post. Clearly she&#39;s a friend or relative of someone with scary usage habits. (It&#39;s from the Barry article.)

ashlar

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by steve319+May 15 2005, 10:08 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(steve319 &#064; May 15 2005, 10:08 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by DoubleMeatWhopper@May 15 2005, 03:08 AM
Oh, that&#39;s a simple and memorably intuitive process. Don&#39;t tell me you have that memorized.

It warms my evil heart to know that you guys are going to lose sleep over that one. Why should I suffer alone? :evilgrin:

<!--QuoteBegin-ashlar
@May 15 2005, 04:11 AM
who the fuck is estelle?
No idea. I&#39;m pretty good at the apropos-of-nothing post. Clearly she&#39;s a friend or relative of someone with scary usage habits. (It&#39;s from the Barry article.)
[post=311267]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

Oh ok ... I think we should start a thread to scare the hell out of DMW on a regular basis, because it&#39;s fun.

Ya un&#39;too?
Aiiight.

ashlar

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by dolf250@May 15 2005, 03:24 PM
now y wood u scar the hell out of dmw- his a niece parson&#33;
[post=311364]Quoted post[/post]​

Agreed, but he&#39;s fun to taunt and tease. It&#39;s the sadist in me. ;)

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by dolf250@May 15 2005, 10:48 AM
I suppose, to be fair, most of the three pages are not responses to the information provided in that first post, but rather to the lack of punctuation.

As you have, no doubt noticed, a post at LPSG is likely to take on a life of its own and stray in unforseen directions. It&#39;s the nature of the beast&#33;

Before anybody says anything, I realize that my punctuation often sucks. I am the first to admit that throughout my life I have been guilty of writing many, many run on sentences.

But you at least use punctuation, Dolf. That&#39;s your saving grace&#33; And your punctuation is actually better than most.

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by steve319+May 15 2005, 03:08 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(steve319 &#064; May 15 2005, 03:08 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-DoubleMeatWhopper@May 15 2005, 03:08 AM
[/b][/quote]

I have all the codes for the Unicode Latin-1 Supplement characters memorised. How anal is that?&#33;