Calves

mako shark

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
If you want a reference on extremely large calfs and thighs, mine are 17" and 27" respectively. Don't shoot for that size as it is really hard to find pants that fit...

D_Tintagel_Demondong

Sexy Member
Media
Calves are the most difficult for me too...one thing that I do that helps is put a phone book on the floor and put you toes on the book and your heels on the floor and lift your self up on your toes about 30 times in three sets. It helps and it's easy. then add leg weights in a week or so and keep adding weight so you get a burn with the workout!

I use the standing calf machine at the gym. I have tried the Ottawa phone book, but it ends up shifting too much. I now use regular plates when at home.

What phone book does somebody in Dear Lake Wyoming use?

Guill

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Try running on your toes. I got vibram fivefingers for trying to run "barefoot" or as close as i can. The only way not to ruin you knees is to stay on your toes as a cusion which forces your calves to do most of the work. I couldn't really walk for a couple of days after that.

B_WER25

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have good genetics for my calves, they're just naturally big. They've always been powerful too. In college, I developed the best calf workout for me, I think it works well(because really, my legs are the part of my body I workout the most). I usually do about 5 miles of running first, then I do 4 sets of 15 calf raises at about 500 lbs (the max on the machine, I wonder what my actual max is), then I do 3 sets of 20 leg presses at 500-750 lbs, then jog for about 20 minutes to cool down.

Anyway, this is what works for me. Remember, though, you have to have good leg genetics to have the huge ones that you like. I don't know if those numbers are high for normal people, and I am by no means a musclular person, but these are what I personally do. Just figure out what is best for you.

Wish-4-8

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Another tip is changing the angle of the lift when doing calf raises. Pointing the toes in or out is one way. Also, raising yourself up from the big toe side will supposidly give you a that "diamondhead" look.

The calves are the most difficult muscles to develop and I will not go into the why of it here. Bodybuilders know this and dedicate extra time to these. The "Govinator" being one of them.

I got great calves, but I worked on them the way I described above.

Wish-4-8

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Anyone notice that asian men have the best calves, and naturally too. they always look pumped and well defined. Guess it IS genetics ????

I dont like talking about stereotypes, but...

Genetically speaking, I read that black people generally have the hardest time developing them. Actually that is not true. They do develop them, but they are higher up. For bodybuilding, they need them lower for balance. But through hard work, it can be achieved. Remember, bodybuilding is more about how something looks then strength.

(and I read this in one of the bodybuilding mags)

D_Sir Fitzwilly Wankheimer III

Experimental Member
Media
I dont like talking about stereotypes, but...

Genetically speaking, I read that black people generally have the hardest time developing them. Actually that is not true. They do develop them, but they are higher up. For bodybuilding, they need them lower for balance. But through hard work, it can be achieved. Remember, bodybuilding is more about how something looks then strength.

(and I read this in one of the bodybuilding mags)

you read it in a bodybuilding mag? well hell it must be gospel then. Where evr yopu read that the calves are builot lower for balance is a crack pot. you can't builo a longer muscle you can increase its mass but not it's length. muscle mags they tell you to do box squats too which is the fastest ways f your back or crack a pelvis. calves are the hardest muscle to delelop, has nothing to do with race, but genetics do play a role. do high reps until they burn. If you don't have decent ones to begin with don't expect much.

D_Sir Fitzwilly Wankheimer III

Experimental Member
Media
I have good genetics for my calves, they're just naturally big. They've always been powerful too. In college, I developed the best calf workout for me, I think it works well(because really, my legs are the part of my body I workout the most). I usually do about 5 miles of running first, then I do 4 sets of 15 calf raises at about 500 lbs (the max on the machine, I wonder what my actual max is), then I do 3 sets of 20 leg presses at 500-750 lbs, then jog for about 20 minutes to cool down.

Anyway, this is what works for me. Remember, though, you have to have good leg genetics to have the huge ones that you like. I don't know if those numbers are high for normal people, and I am by no means a musclular person, but these are what I personally do. Just figure out what is best for you.

do less weight and sets 50+ until they burn. i gaurantee you won't be able to walk the next day. calves resont to reps rather than weight. unless your like me deadlifting 700+, then you'll feel the there too.

shanehall

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
My calves are my best asset. Funny to say but TAP dancing, competitive speed roller blading, and bike riding (long hours of all of the above) are a guarantee for that nice upside down heart shape calve we all love to look at. Too bad mine are behind me and facing someone else. LOL Genetics may play a part. My parents have nice legs but do not compare to mine. HEHE I get loads of compliments on them. Too bad the rest of me doesnt match up. Oh well.

Meniscus

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Anyone notice that asian men have the best calves, and naturally too. they always look pumped and well defined. Guess it IS genetics ????

I don't know about Asian Americans, but in many parts of Asia they use squat toilets. Americans and Europeans travelling in Asia generally find them strange and uncomfortable to use--using one requires good balance, so if you don't have well-developed calves, you may have to hold onto something to keep your balance, and your legs will be burning when you're done. Advocates of squat toilets claim that sit toilets cause weak, underdeveloped calves. Maybe that's why Asians have good calves. (Honestly, though, I've never noticed.)

Meniscus

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
This is somewhat off topic, but yesterday I saw a guy with huge calves...

For those of you with a manhunt account, the guy in question is "notnate." Although his profile doesn't include a pic of his calves, there are a couple of pics that partially show his legs, enough to get an idea of how big his calves are. (From the back, they look even bigger.) He's also got a pretty nice bulge.

b1gm3

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Badminton players have the best calves..then again most are asian. Genetics may be a factor.