Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
A portion of "Camp" from Wikipedia...

Camp derives from the French slang term se camper, meaning “to pose in an exaggerated fashion”. The OED gives 1909 as the first print citation of camp as "ostentatious, exaggerated, affected, theatrical; effeminate or homosexual; pertaining to, characteristic of, homosexuals. So as a noun, ‘camp’ behaviour, mannerisms, et cetera. (cf. quot. 1909); a man exhibiting such behaviour". Per the Oxford English Dictionary, this sense is "etymologically obscure."

Symphonic

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

Camp derives from the French slang term se camper, meaning “to pose in an exaggerated fashion”. The OED gives 1909 as the first print citation of camp as "ostentatious, exaggerated, affected, theatrical; effeminate or homosexual; pertaining to, characteristic of, homosexuals. So as a noun, ‘camp’ behaviour, mannerisms, et cetera. (cf. quot. 1909); a man exhibiting such behaviour". Per the Oxford English Dictionary, this sense is "etymologically obscure."
Why, thank you!

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I like the campy guys and the masculine guys.

I don't know why some men have a hard time with each other. If you don't like prissy gay men or prissy straight dudes, you don't have to be around them. Because you hate them, that don't make them disappear. Or by some weird behavior modification is going to make them less femme because you date a MANLY MAN or telling the femme guys that they need to butch it up.

If God wanted more manly peeps...we would have a world full of straight men and butch lesbians. If God wanted more campy peeps...we would have a world full of gay acting straight men and girly women and lipstick lesbians.

God created variety for a reason. To alleviate BOREDOM and create randomness in the scheme of things.

Wait, wait, wait,

Weve totaly got off of the Original Subject. This isn't about liking one type or another, it's about finding them or that characteristic attractive. Like I said in my 1st post, I have some campy friends that I adore. I just don't find them attractive. Two big differences aren't they?

I didn't get off the subject though. I know that some men don't like campy guys. That is a fact. I don't write the guy off because he is femme.

Me. I see things entirely different. I have met many campy guys. I have met many masculine dudes. I like them both. I don't hate if I relate to them. I have met a few guys that were truly amazing to me. I don't like drag culture. I have never done drag. I am a very manly guy...but I have dated some femme guys and a few guys that did drag. I have dated some masculine guys. I have even dated guys who had a balance of those qualities. I kinda like the guys who have a balance of the two. It is more interesting to me.

There are extremes though.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
You aren't a bull rider, are you? You just do the horses, right?:biggrin1:

Rode bulls when I was younger, now it's horses, but I'd sure as hell adapt!:wink:

Awwww. You beyotches get a stable and breed, why don't ya?!!! :rolleyes::biggrin1:

(I started to write "Get a hotel room but they don't allow stud bulls and riders in hotels." :biggrin1:)

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight

It's not obscure, it's Polari. And the OED's refusal to recognize it as such reminds me of the New York Times' refusal to use the word "gay" when describing homosexuality or homosexuals: how can we have any pride in our heritage, history and culture when vanguards of respectibility won't even recognize its existence?

"Straight acting & appearing" sticks in my craw because it seems to validate a lie: that being gay and being masculine are mutually exclusive propositions. If you are gay and "act straight" then you're perpetuating not just one but two stereotypes, one about straight guys and one about yourself. There is nothing more artificial (and ironically, camp) than pretending to be something you are not.

I came out in high school in 1977 and never looked back for a minute. But my gayness doesn't mean I'm swish; I'm not and never really was. But recognizing that I'm gay means living my life as true to myself as possible, not beholden to the expectations and negative judgments of a society that finds me loathsome anyway.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
"Straight acting & appearing" sticks in my craw because it seems to validate a lie: that being gay and being masculine are mutually exclusive propositions. If you are gay and "act straight" then you're perpetuating not just one but two stereotypes, one about straight guys and one about yourself. There is nothing more artificial (and ironically, camp) than pretending to be something you are not.

I came out in high school in 1977 and never looked back for a minute. But my gayness doesn't mean I'm swish; I'm not and never really was. But recognizing that I'm gay means living my life as true to myself as possible, not beholden to the expectations and negative judgments of a society that finds me loathsome anyway.

Amen to that.

D_Jerry_Atric

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm into butch or masculine men.

I very briefly dated a guy who was a femmey queen and I found out very quickly that I wasn't attracted to men who are queens or femmey.

B_Hung Jon

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
There are stereo-typical gay mannerisms that seem to be common in certain circles. But I think sometimes that the heavier affectations are just part of urban gay culture. I've seen gay guys turn it off and on. I think this is common to every minority group, like having certain language, mannerisms and humor.

B_BadBoyBilly

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It's not obscure, it's Polari. And the OED's refusal to recognize it as such reminds me of the New York Times' refusal to use the word "gay" when describing homosexuality or homosexuals: how can we have any pride in our heritage, history and culture when vanguards of respectibility won't even recognize its existence?

Polari is from the UK and it's slang and it does not apply to the US at all. That being said if a guy is femmey or a swishy queen it is totally fake. As far as what you wrote about the NY Times how they supposedly only use homosexual as a word and not gay, please stop being so PC. There is nothing wrong with the use of the word homosexual over gay. What's so wrong with using homosexual to describe someone's sexuality or your own? I use it all the time and it certainly does fit me as I have never been sexually attracted to women or had sex with any.

B_BadBoyBilly

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
There are stereo-typical gay mannerisms that seem to be common in certain circles. But I think sometimes that the heavier affectations are just part of urban gay culture. I've seen gay guys turn it off and on. I think this is common to every minority group, like having certain language, mannerisms and humor.

Being femmey or a queen is a fake act for the most part. Most gay men are not femmey queens at all. Urban homos think that they define homosexuality for everyone else and that we should all strive to move to a gay ghetto and spend tons of money and become femmey queens like they are. :rolleyes: