Can a relationship survive different tastes in music?

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by Penis Aficionado, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Penis Aficionado

Gold Member

2. Principessa

Gold Member

Speaking as a Jersey Girl who has seen Bruce Springsteen in concert 6 times. I don't understand why she would date, let alone live with such a classless troglodyte. I wouldn't have taken the pills but I totally understand her "brain snap."

3. Penis Aficionado

Gold Member

You rock, NJ. I have never been lucky enough to see him, but I just got the CD of Bruce & the E Street Band live at the Hammersmith Odeon in London, 1975, which is fantastic.

I think I could have only limited relations with a person who truly disliked Bruce Springsteen. Like I said I've known several girls who hold that opinion, and they are always the prim, upper-middle class types, who seem very wary or ashamed of their own emotions. I don't usually get along with people like that.

4. Principessa

Gold Member

In NJ there are only two types of people. Those who love Bruce and those who don't, there is no in between. By law I think it's illegal for these people to marry. :biggrin1:

5. Tristessa

Tristessa New Member

I love Bruce too

An ex and I used to fight over REM/U2, but it never got that out of hand :eek:

6. LeeEJ

Gold Member

Albums:
    Besides Springsteen (njqt, we're incompatible; he's nothing special to me.. ;) ), my last relationship saw us with mostly different tastes in music. We joked that if we put our CD collections together, we wouldn't have many duplicates.

But then again, most of the music we liked didn't really annoy the other person, either. There was still plenty of music that neither of us liked at all.

I think that a relationship can survive different musical tastes depending on how far apart the tastes are and whether the they take music too seriously.

7. SuperStud

SuperStud New Member

I don't make a big deal about music in general, but if a girlfriend wanted to move in with me and thought she was going to play that country music shit in my place, there would be problems.

8. B_Artful Dodger

B_Artful Dodger New Member

I can get on with anyone as far as music is concerned... i like it all :amile:

9. Penis Aficionado

Gold Member

You mean over which band was better?

10. Tristessa

Tristessa New Member

Yes, he was a drummer and utterly obsessed with U2, and I have a childhood affinity for REM. There has been a lot of feuding between those two bands, and it spilled over to our relationship when he couldn't stop making cracks about REM that were simply unfair :tongue: So I started bashing U2 (I think their music is okay, but not great) especially his view that their drumming is fantastic (I find it formulaic).. you can see where this went, sort of.

11. sargon20

Gold Member

No
    It would take a trained experienced therapist to get a couple through it all

12. Penis Aficionado

Gold Member

Back in the '80s my high school and college pals would debate which band had a bigger influence on the underground music scene in America -- I would probably give REM the edge on that because every college town had at least a dozen bands that sounded like them.

I'd have to agree with your boyfriend though -- U2 is one of the greatest bands of all time. REM, at their best, is just really good.

13. Magnum Excel

Magnum Excel New Member

"The national news agency, Australian Associated Press, reported that the Supreme Court in the city of Brisbane sentenced Karen Lee Cooper to eight years in prison."

wtf? 8 years for murder over a difference in musical opinions?? I mean, I like The Boss too, but DAMN. I guess musical preference is GIGANTIC Down Under, and it's not really a big deal to kill someone over it...

14. B_DEATHbyCARROT

B_DEATHbyCARROT New Member

I gotta admit my music is really important to me. Sometimes it's the only thing that can cheer me up if I'm down. So yeah if a woman hated my music it would be a serious issue for me. I usually am just ok with a woman being indifferent to my musical tastes, but I dated a woman a few months back who actually LIKED my music and that was the first time that happened. It was great! As a Black dude who likes pretty hardcore rock I do sometimes feel like it's something that maybe I shouldn't talk about for a bit because it's sometimes a shock that I would rather blast Sevendust than TI...

15. Magnum Excel

Magnum Excel New Member

I hear ya. I don't think I'll ever be lucky enough to be in a relationship with a woman who shares my love for BOTH rock and hip-hop (the styles I like, anyway).

16. Apollo1

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Wow. I think this is proof positive that fanaticism has the potential to lead people to horrific extremes.

Blessings

17. B_DEATHbyCARROT

B_DEATHbyCARROT New Member

Yeah it sounds like we have the same tastes. My last gf and I could find some common ground in hip hop (which I like also), but the hardcore metal I listen to she wasn't into. So we listened to a LOT of Kanye :biggrin1:

Makes me wonder how it would have worked if we lived together and all I wanna do when I get home is blast something heavy when I get home, but I can't do it with a clear conscience because I know she would hate it.

18. sexplease

Gold Member

Albums:
    I used to complain about the music until I met a deaf person.

19. whatireallywant

Gold Member

Most people I've known have had different tastes in music to mine. Mine is all over the place but most of the people I knew had very limited taste, and it was limited mainly to the few bands I hate. :biggrin1:

I'd prefer someone who has my adventurous taste. We won't agree 100% on ALL of it, but I'd like someone who is open to listening to different and new things, not just the same old same old.

My longest term relationship happened to be with the guy who shared the most of my tastes in music (open to different things, taste that varied and not limited to just one genre...) but of course we didn't agree 100%.

20. Principessa

Gold Member

:eek:
    That's a pretty harsh attitude. I don't find country that reprehensible. But I could not date someone who loved hip-hop, rap, reggae or calypso music.

Agreed.

Draft saved Draft deleted