Can a Sociopath Be Cured?

By the requirements you have listed a great many people are sociopaths. I believe it to be another case of a P.H.D. back in the day Taking a rather gruesome person looking at their relative traits and then listing them as the symptoms.

Also everyone has the potential to do terrible things the exact same way as a "Sociopath" does they are just pushed far enough over to actually do it.

Having dealt with a bunch of each, I say no. These people just are missing something in their brains. They're not fully human, really.
Missing something in their brain or simply using part of it the the majority of the human population doesn't?

Nemo_Steampunk

Sexy Member
Media
By the requirements you have listed a great many people are sociopaths. I believe it to be another case of a P.H.D. back in the day Taking a rather gruesome person looking at their relative traits and then listing them as the symptoms.

Well, again, the DSM doesn't work like that. It isn't a list of things that if you have, that means you must be this and that disorder. All of the criteria have to be of a significant seriousness that it causes disruption to "baseline" life. So, someone who hears voices isn't necessarily schizophrenic or in a psychotic episode. The voices have to be disruptive and of a duration. Someone hearing voices that tells them they're popular, attractive to others, powerful and an all-around nice person aren't being disruptive... Unless the behaviour that results from those voices are disruptive. On the flip side, a voice that tells them teh CIA or MI5 are coming to kill you in your sleep, and therefore, the client never sleeps, that would be an indication of a mental health disorder.

Mental health works just like physical health or car mechanics. People tend to not go to either unless there's something causing significant disruption to the "baseline" of life or the car.

So, looking at the criteria for AsPD, all of them would require not just a single instance of bad behaviour, but an ongoing pattern that is disruptive to the person's life. Simply running a red light or punching a guy int eh face at a bar doesn't meet Criteria 1.

Also everyone has the potential to do terrible things the exact same way as a "Sociopath" does they are just pushed far enough over to actually do it.

True. We all rationalize. We all have employed deceitfulness. And you're right, we all have the power to do terrible things. What makes a 'sociopath' different from 'normal' is that their "tipping point" between socially normative behaviour and socially aberrant behaviour is set much lower than 'normal' people.

Last edited:

Enid

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
This is a bit off-topic but CBT (cognitive behavior therapy) has worked for me with a decent amount of success. I have Tourette's (vocal/motor, no coprolalia/praxia/graphia) with the comorbid symptoms OCD and ADD. I have been medicated for all 3 but thankfully I am no longer on medication. In the last decade the most disruptive issue I have is my OCD. Since I despise the medication I tried CBT and have definitely improved. The tics I can hide and only those closest to me would know, amongst those who know me in person.

I have no idea if it (CBT) works consistently for those who are APD or other related disorder, not personally. It appears to help in some cases -- have larger studies been done?

Last edited:

B_quietguy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay

Very true! Every human has the capacity to harm others. It's just that most of us would feel remorse for having done so, but 1% (the sociopaths) don't care if they harm anybody else as long as they get what they want.

crossy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The main question should be why do so many diagnosed sociopaths/psycopaths have an abnormal preoccupation with their sexual organs? (See Hervey Cleckley "The Mask of Sanity") Can't quote Cleckley exactly. But when the sociopath does his/her lying and bad deeds they usually masturbate to relieve the anxiety, tension they live with.

ATTENTION this is definitely not a crossy bullshit post.

A professor of mine 45 years ago (think he is still alive) David Lykken Ph.at the Univ of Minnesota is an expert on this subject (published many books)
Bottom line. Like pedophiles, etc these folks can't practically be treated!

How do you avoid psycopaths on LPSG? Frankly, everyone I post with/to and correspond with have been fun and kind and a few acerbic, brilliant, like me sometimes!

Symphonic

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

So my question is this: Can a sociopath be cured via therapy and medication? :confused:

So let me get this straight, you had the sense to look up the definition but didn't have the sense to just look up the diagnosis and treatment?

Fuck, you're dumb.

crossy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
So let me get this straight, you had the sense to look up the definition but didn't have the sense to just look up the diagnosis and treatment?

Fuck, you're dumb.

The treatment (of what I've read something about) sociopaths (more likely an environmental aberration viz a viz psychopaths (more a genetic aberration) is very discouraging at best. I really don't know how they fix it, to answer your question.
Prof Lykken, who passed away I learned,studied twins who exhibited antisocial personality also psychopaths and lie detectors. I miss his lectures in Abnormal Psychology.

IF you Mr Symphpnic, ,G-d forbid, get hooked up with one, RUN don't WALK. These people can devestate you, financially, emotionally,...

Please, apologize to NJQT. Don't think you meant "fuck, your dumb".

Last edited:
D

deleted257218

There are a lot more sociopaths than you might think and they're not the murderous sort you'd think they are either. It's just a relative term used for anybody who disregards other people's feelings and wellbeing for own personal gain. For example a lot of big moneygrabbing businesmen are sociopaths.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
There are a lot more sociopaths than you might think and they're not the murderous sort you'd think they are either. It's just a relative term used for anybody who disregards other people's feelings and wellbeing for own personal gain. For example a lot of big moneygrabbing businesmen are sociopaths.
When looking at the DSM-IV there are many crossover symptoms between personality disorders. Some alleged sociopaths such as Joey Buttafuoco may appear to be sociopaths but I think he may actually be a Narcissistic Personality Disorder.

:261: As for not having the sense to look up an answer perhaps you should try Google or the search function, before posting a new thread. :irked:

Inane Question
Vaginal Stretching
Veiny Cocks
Which Ethnicity do you think is Best?
Penis Size and Exercise

Fuck, you're dumb.[/
You call me dumb, yet you are the one who is unsure about his sexual preference at the age of 20. I don't think so buddy. :no:

Enid

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Crossy, I am mildly shocked and pleased you mentioned Cleckley. If I am not mistaken, he says...

The behaviours identified in antisocial persons are virtually the same as those described by developmentalists, only negatively stated: internalization of some social norms without apparent affective understanding of their meaning, particularly in regard to deceiving others; habitual lying; lack of repentance; incapacity for shame or remorse; inability either to foresee the consequences of their actions or learn from experience. Since an objective (allocentric) reality does not exist in egocentric consciousness, socially-constructed concepts like lying are meaningless.

Do I have the same guy as you mean?

Last edited:

my college psych prof would say that the middle eastern blower-uppers are more likely dissocial, a subset of anti-social personality disorder also found in gang bangers and the like. IOW they extend the circle of value to their associates, and everybody who is not "with them" is "against them."

sangheili90

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
my college psych prof would say that the middle eastern blower-uppers are more likely dissocial, a subset of anti-social personality disorder also found in gang bangers and the like. IOW they extend the circle of value to their associates, and everybody who is not "with them" is "against them."

Why did you post on a thread that hasn't seen any action in 6 years?