Can anyone tell me about HPV?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bigsam, Jan 6, 2006.

1. bigsam

bigsam Member

I just got a call from my ex girlfriend that she tested positive for atypical cells on her PAP smear and that she thinks she got it from me. I've only ever had protected sex except with my frist girlfriend who was a virgin.

My ex and I were sexually active for about 7 months but always used a condom, her only other sexual encounters were about 3 years ago with 2 different people (1 time only each) and didn't use a condom either time.

What is the likliehood that I do have this and what can I do about it? Is it true that there is no treatment and what should I do to prevent spreading it further if so?

I'm a little freaked out here everybody...I could certainly use some support.:frown1::frown1::frown1:

2. college22punk9

HPV, genital warts. hmmm.. good luck. j/k. There are treatments that help, but since its a virus, it doesn't necessarily "leave" your system. You might have it. warts in general spread very easily through direct skin contact, so even though you might have had protected sex, if ya'll were rollin around naked, that would be the skin-skin contact that it needed to spread. Some people don't have any or many symptoms. You need to know what to look for... there are probably some good resources online. *anyone feel free to correct me where i'm wrong, i'm no expert on this subject* But really though, sometimes the warts present in such a way that they are VERY small, and in weird locations, so you might not notice them, especially if you dont shave down there. As far as her results, atypical cells in a PAP can come from a few sources. Did she specifically say and they DR said HPV? I would check yourself out... then I would go see a doctor if you find anything suspicious. Apparently studies say that you can get "infected" with HPV, but not show symptoms until months after exposure, so its hard to say wether you had it, or wether she had it previously but is now showing symptoms in her tests....

HERE IS MY ADVICE... obviously there is a CHANCE you have this, but I dont know how big of one. you need to check yourself out (seek out a professional medical site online, if you are too uncomfortable to go right to your DR).... but you really should go to your DR (or free health clinic and ask for a STD screen, and you might as well get all the other tests in the meantime). You need to KNOW, and if you do have it, you definately need to know the proper ways from spreading it to other people, becuase some people have horrible outbreaks whereas others dont show many symptoms, and I know you would feel horrible if you spread it to someone else.

3. B_horribleperson

B_horribleperson New Member

a very good friend of mine got the same call from his girlfriend. what it mean is that she got a weird result on her pap smear test and it could mean she has warts or cervical cancer. now she should be goin back for another test and if she has warts or cancer then they will get the same result but in most cases she will get a normal result and you will live happily everafter.

4. madame_zora

Gold Member

HPV is Human Papilloma Virus, and MOST people at some point will be exposed to it. I think it's about half of men and 75% of women. Except in rare cases, it doesn't progress to further complications. Women find out about it through PAP tests, but I don't think there is a test for men.

Here is some info which I only scanned briefly, but I wouldn't worry too much unless you are experiencing sympotms yourself.

http://www.cdc.gov/std/HPV/STDFact-HPV.htm#common

5. mehgah

mehgah New Member

I think the safest thing your girlfriend can do is to get a second opinion, fast. In my opinion, it doesn't sound like anything overly serious (especially if you had protected sex all the time: this may be something she got before the two of you met.. then again, it may not.) Only a second test can tell you for sure that the test wasn't a fluke, and until then you shouldn't concern yourself too much. People get bad test results all the time for a variety of tests (I've even heard of people showing HIV positive the first time and negative every other time, which would be enough to drive one crazy).

Just be sure that when your girlfriend gets her second opinion, that she asks all the questions you both may have.

6. bigsam

bigsam Member

I haven't ever shown any symptoms and still am not. She is going back for another test and I'm praying that its all going to be ok...point is, I've always been very safe with my sex and I'm kind of heartbroken that I could give this to someone else. I'm also going to have to live with the possibility of giving it to others...

Thanking G-d its not the kind with warts...

7. college22punk9

ummm you mean you are praying that it isn't?? cuz HPV is the kind with warts, becuase it IS warts. lol just didn't know waht you meant by that.

8. averagepeck

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    My GF and I discussed this about two months ago.I had never heard about it before then.She's a nurse.This is what she's told me:

1) 4 in 5 men likely have it
    2)Thereis no way to test men for it
    3)You can get it from other sexual contact besides intercourse
    4)The likelyhood that you've come into contact with someone with it if you've had several partners is HIGH
    5)It won't really impact men in any way,but it could result in cervical cancer in a female

9. fri2219

fri2219 Member

Human Papilloma Virus == HPV

A papilloma is a fancy name for a wart, which is the least of the problems it can cause. Make sure you and your GF have plenty of follow-up care, and have your health care provider explain the details of HPV is to the both of you. You don't have to have skin eruptions to have it. ('It' being one of the 700 or so papilloma viruses that infect primates. They're very common and there's a pantload of variants.)

Click on the link for some info from the Centers for Disease Control. The nurse mentioned by averagepeck did not supply completely accurate information. (She would have flunked my section if she'd written that in an essay.) It is possible for men to be tested, however, but the tests require a great deal of techinical skill and aren't economically feasible for a run of the mill hospital to conduct.

As an aside, giving medical advice to people you haven't personally examined is considered unethical in the medical profession, so people in the field shouldn't give you advice beyond 'get tested' or 'see a doctor'. (This isn't meant to chide anyone, just explain why you can't get medical advice in forums like this.)

10. rawbone8

Gold Member

Albums:
    I could be wrong, but I seem to recall reading that HPV can affect anal tissue as well and can in some cases lead to serious problems (like cancer). So the warning was that it's not just an STD risk for heterosexuals engaged in vaginal intercourse. I thought that it mentioned that there was a test that was like a pap test for anal tissue cells.

Also, I seem to recall that medical science is has already discovered a cure for the virus that could be delivered by innoculation.

Does anyone have any accurate info on these points? (My memory sucks)

11. fri2219

fri2219 Member

There's a vaccine currently in trials. So far, so good, but you never know what's going to jump up and bite the patients in the ass- just because it is effective on a small sample of people doesn't mean it will be effective or safe on the population as a whole. (Effective and safe require different analysis, they're two different issues- arsenic is incredibly effective for treating quite a few nasty parasites, but it isn't safe, since it kills a decent proportion of the people treated with it.)

12. bigsam

bigsam Member

Thanks for the responses everybody...I feel somewhat relieved to realize that its such a common issue and that hopefully she won't have any ill effects, especially since she's young and it was detected early.

13. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

What??? It's a genital wart?? OMG - I thought it was my right nut!

14. racquetballer

racquetballer New Member

You might also want to check with your doctor and see if condoms really do protect against HPV....I know for a fact condoms don't protect against all STD's....just can't remember which ones condoms don't protect against. racquetballer

Draft saved Draft deleted