Can Gay Guys Help Straight Guys Hook Up?

erratic

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Can a straight guy have a better chance of "pulling" if he has a gay friend with him at a bar? Does a straight guy have improved chances of going home with a girl if he brings a gay guy with him as a cheerleader and coach?

I've had multiple straight friends rope me in to this and it never works. Why? Women have been much more interested in getting a gaybff than a boyfriend. I'm not trying to sound conceited here; that's how the shit went down in real life for me. My guess is it's way rarer for a woman to find a fun gay dude in a bar than it is to find a lonely straight dude.

And, like I said, don't get me wrong. I've done this with multiple men, and I've usually done my best to look less attractive and act less fun than them. I'm not saying I'm some kind of ironic chick magnet. But I've gotten all the attention every time.

I'm wondering if some gay guys might have a better handle on how women think...and could advise a straight guy on what to say...or what not to say.

Well, yes and no. (Again, this is from my experience; other homos may tell a different story.) I think gay men are just less likely to see women as mysterious hard-to-understand creatures. We also get straight-talk (pardon the pun) from women because we're, you know, not interested in them. So we get their opinions unfiltered by that societal bullshit - laugh at all his jokes, don't be smarter than him, blah, blah, blah. So I just see women as people and when a guy asks me what to do about a woman I don't answer with any of that "playing the game" bullshit.

Anyway, my picking-up advice is pretty simple every time. Be confident. Be gentlemanly. Be proud of yourself, but don't brag. If she asks you what you're looking for in a "girl" make sure you use the word "woman" when you answer. It shows respect.

Gay guys might also be able to act as a booster to talk-up the straight guy to women in a way that maybe straight guys...and other straight women...might not.

Oh, totally. We are more likely to cut through the bullshit than straight guys, from what I've seen. I love these books and TV shows on how to pick up. They're ridiculous. If there's one thing that gay men understand it's that women are not some strange creature from Venus (if I could erase that "Men Are From Mars..." book from history, I would) with inexplicable rules. They're just people who have been as fucked-over by society as we have. Treat a woman as your equal and give her something to be attracted to.

D

deleted3782

I've had multiple straight friends rope me in to this and it never works. Why? Women have been much more interested in getting a gaybff than a boyfriend...

Thanks for all of your insights! Very cool stuff. I have wondered if the type of gay guy makes a difference in the ability to influence a hook-up situation. I would imagine a relatively quiet guy (like me) would have a lesser impact than an outgoing guy..especially in terms of potential gaybff material...and might also be a less effective spokesperson and/or distraction.

And what's this bizarre talk of women not being some strange creatures from Venus? They totally confuse the hell out of me! I guess that disqualifies me from being a straight guys lucky underwear. *kicks dirt*:mad:

Thanks again for all the thoughtful posts from everyone so far. :smile:

I'd say it probably would help - but it depends on the kinda str8 guy, and also the type of girl you were interested in.

I've always hated the wingman kinda thing...it puts most girls off, and makes them think you're an arsehole. Quietly chatting seems to work better, and not trying too hard. Having a gay friend to help (especially with a good sense of humour) would probably work a treat.