Can I Please Introduce Larele Masse?!

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
When I was growing up and first was introduced to music from days gone by (I already was a 50s guy) I wanted t find people that at the time were performing older music. This was the 70s and even to there was a huge 50s revival then there was nothing on the radio but disco, I finally found a 'new' band called the Manhattan Transfer. I was IN LOVE w/them and all they did. They spoke to my sensibilities and interests. WOW what a revalation it was to find them.
YouTube - The Manhattan Transfer-On A Little Street In Singapore #126-*T*O*T*Ps*70s*

The MT spent most of their early years dancing around 40's and 50's music at a time that really wouldn't have spun them into the stratosphere of musical superstardom but they managed to snag what at the time was know as the Summer Series on tv. Imagine my delight as could see all this vintage deliciousness ever week.
YouTube - JAVA JIVE/MANHATTAN TRANSFER WITH LAUREL MASSÉ.
Most folks wher I grew up thot I was weird because only ole things appealed to me. I'd still rather shop at Goodwill instead of Macy's. I love an old suit!
Anyway the MT had a HUGE hit record w/the Twilight Zone around the same time that Bernadette Peters scored a top 10 w/her endition of Gee Whiz.

YouTube - THE MANHATTAN TRANSFER WITH LAUREL MASSÉ
In the band of 4 members, all awesome artists/singers individually. Laurel Masee stood out for me.

YouTube - BLUE CHAMPAGNE/MANHATTAN TRANSFER WITH LAUREL MASSÉ That's her w/the band.

After she was replaced w/Cheryl....I finally found here solo wotk. Damn I was glad. Gone was the stuf I loved but I really her jazz. Even tho I was moving into more of rockabilly I really loved her music. This is when when I was a teenager I really got into vocalists. YouTube - LAUREL MASSE MEMBER OF MANHATTAN TRANSFER (1972-1979)
YouTube - LAUREL MASSE/LUSH LIFE/MANHATTAN TRANSFER WITH LAUREL MASSÉ.

I often wonder what I could say to people who are my fave singers who are still alive. I wish I could tell Laurel what a great chunk of goodness she's brought to my life just by simply hearing these songs.
YouTube - MANHATTAN TRANSFER WITH LAUREL MASSÉ.

I wish I could find more clips of her solo stuff to convert you too but I can't.
Ok this was just my idol diary for an artist!

Yeah It's My Party and I'll post if I want to!

Last edited:

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
YouTube - MANHATTAN TRANSFER WITH LAUREL MASSÉ.

Yeah It's My Party and I'll post if I want to!

When I was 9 or 10 (you must have been in your early 20's then, Hells), my beloved grandmother took me to the Schubert Theatre to see Manhattan Transfer. It was a total revelation. It was so retro it was completely hip...and why they've faded, I have absolutely no idea. Strangely enough, in complete counterpoint, I wouldn't be surprised if they made a comeback now in the age of Obama, as opposed to Bush who probably would have liked them except that it would have been obvious that he was trying too hard. *sigh* Again.

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
When I was 9 or 10 (you must have been in your early 20's then, Hells), my beloved grandmother took me to the Schubert Theatre to see Manhattan Transfer. It was a total revelation. It was so retro it was completely hip...and why they've faded, I have absolutely no idea. Strangely enough, in complete counterpoint, I wouldn't be surprised if they made a comeback now in the age of Obama, as opposed to Bush who probably would have liked them except that it would have been obvious that he was trying too hard. *sigh* Again.

LOL ok Mr Revisionist. I was not in my 20s when u were 9. lolol. The great thing about the MT is that they are always in demand on tiours. They never stop.
But this thread is aboiut Laurel. She really is amazing!

Media
But this thread is about Laurel. She really is amazing!

It needs to be noted that Laurel Massé was replaced by Cheryl Bentyne because of a horrible auto accident, and while the loss of this original member was great, Cheryl was an excellent addition to the group.

In the summer of 1972, they did a summer TV show with the original group. There were four hour long shows featuring many of their early hits. I have been a fan ever since. The YOU TUBE "Java Jive" link is from that summer show.

Thanks for bringing up this wonderful artist and this wondefrful group.

Their tribute song to Ella Fitszgerald on the Symphony Sessions recording could have easily been decicated to Laurel Massé.

As you said: "she really is amazing.":smile:

pym

Just Browsing
Media
Back in the early 80's i was adding alot of Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs L.P.'s to my collection. One of them is MANHATTAN TRANSFER LIVE.
I think i have only played it once. I'll have to dig it out for another listen.