Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Look at the OP's gallery and you will see she is a 'brown person'. Would you call me (a honky) racist if I started talking about 'pink people'? :rolleyes:

if you were to say you wanted to go somewhere where there were plenty of white people, yes, i would consider it a somewhat racial thing to say

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
if you were to say you wanted to go somewhere where there were plenty of white people, yes, i would consider it a somewhat racial thing to say

Racial and racist are not the same thing. I'm going to assume you meant racist because the very mention of race is, of course, 'racial' - but there is no implied negativity in the word racial.

I thought you were objecting to the phrase 'brown people', which is why I made the 'pink people' comparison. From this post it seems you are objecting to the fact the poster voiced a need to see / be around black people and that maybe you'd feel the same about the comment had she used the phrase 'black people' (?).

I'd agree with you that in an American or European context that me, a white person, making a similar comment about wanting to be around white people would be racist, or at least potentially so. However the context is key - in America or Europe white is the majority and there is a history of discrimination of non-whites. For a black person to want to go to a place in America with cultural diversity and a black population seems, to me anyway, far more reasonable.

The only parallel I can draw in my personal life is being Irish in England. The vast majority of the English people I met / know have no problem whatsoever with Irish people - but just occasionally there were times when the 'stupid Irish', 'drunk Irish', 'terrorist Irish' jokes (or so-called jokes) came a bit thick and fast and I felt like I wanted to be in a place where there were more Irish people around and less chance of feeling like a minority, an outsider. I didn't know many other Irish people but found that hanging out with the Asians and black people I knew was similarly beneficial. Of course the key difference is that no one discriminated against me or made 'jokes' based solely on my appearance - that's why racial discrimination is worse than the kind of thing I have experienced, because a black person doesn't have to open their mouth or give any background information to be perceived as 'different' by the kind of people who seem to believe in the significance of such differences.

So while I see your point, and agree it is more valid than the point I thought you were making, I still don't think there is much negative about an American black person wanting to be around other black people in America. I wish that weren't true - I wish it didn't matter and none of us ever had to think that way - but unfortunately racism is alive and well in America and there is at least a certain degree of safety in numbers.

bek2335

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
ManlyB - I have just a hunch that bunnylove isn't going to get it. White people that cry racism have no credibility in my book.

bunnylove

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Racial and racist are not the same thing. I'm going to assume you meant racist because the very mention of race is, of course, 'racial' - but there is no implied negativity in the word racial.

I thought you were objecting to the phrase 'brown people', which is why I made the 'pink people' comparison. From this post it seems you are objecting to the fact the poster voiced a need to see / be around black people and that maybe you'd feel the same about the comment had she used the phrase 'black people' (?).

I'd agree with you that in an American or European context that me, a white person, making a similar comment about wanting to be around white people would be racist, or at least potentially so. However the context is key - in America or Europe white is the majority and there is a history of discrimination of non-whites. For a black person to want to go to a place in America with cultural diversity and a black population seems, to me anyway, far more reasonable.

The only parallel I can draw in my personal life is being Irish in England. The vast majority of the English people I met / know have no problem whatsoever with Irish people - but just occasionally there were times when the 'stupid Irish', 'drunk Irish', 'terrorist Irish' jokes (or so-called jokes) came a bit thick and fast and I felt like I wanted to be in a place where there were more Irish people around and less chance of feeling like a minority, an outsider. I didn't know many other Irish people but found that hanging out with the Asians and black people I knew was similarly beneficial. Of course the key difference is that no one discriminated against me or made 'jokes' based solely on my appearance - that's why racial discrimination is worse than the kind of thing I have experienced, because a black person doesn't have to open their mouth or give any background information to be perceived as 'different' by the kind of people who seem to believe in the significance of such differences.

So while I see your point, and agree it is more valid than the point I thought you were making, I still don't think there is much negative about an American black person wanting to be around other black people in America. I wish that weren't true - I wish it didn't matter and none of us ever had to think that way - but unfortunately racism is alive and well in America and there is at least a certain degree of safety in numbers.

I agree that it shouldn't matter what the racial population of an area is for someone to enjoy themselves there and want to be there, hence me taking offense to the statement.

bunnylove

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
ManlyB - I have just a hunch that bunnylove isn't going to get it. White people that cry racism have no credibility in my book.

I'm 7/32 Cherokee Indian. I'm a cornchip, not a cracker. I'm not "crying racism." I'm taking offense to someone saying that they desire to go somewhere with "more brown people."

bek2335

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Well, it seems you reacted without considering the context. Just because someone wants to spend time with certain kinds of people doesn't mean they have something against other kinds of people. I too am part Native American and part African-American, but you probably wouldn't realize that just by looking at me. I just look like an overweight, middle-aged white woman. I'm confused about the 7/32 thing, though...not about your being ethnically mixed, but how you came up with that particular fraction.

bunnylove

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Well, it seems you reacted without considering the context. Just because someone wants to spend time with certain kinds of people doesn't mean they have something against other kinds of people. I too am part Native American and part African-American, but you probably wouldn't realize that just by looking at me. I just look like an overweight, middle-aged white woman. I'm confused about the 7/32 thing, though...not about your being ethnically mixed, but how you came up with that particular fraction.

my great-grandmother was full-blooded cherokee, and my great-grandfather was 3/4. my grandmother was 7/8. my father was 7/16 because my grandfather was 0%. my mother was 0% as well, making me 7/32.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
I agree that it shouldn't matter what the racial population of an area is for someone to enjoy themselves there and want to be there, hence me taking offense to the statement.

But the context is all important - and that is the part you are (intentionally?) ignoring.

Have you ever been the only black person in town? I haven't either, but having grown up in mono-culturally white Ireland and known one or two black people I have been given an insight into to how it must feel. Lonely, and that's just for starters.

It matters not a fig that you have some Indian blood - 7/32 is not perceivable and you will never have been treated as anything other than white. You have no way of understanding that other than empathy - which you appear to be lacking. There's not much for me to say beyond that. I hope you never have a life experience that directly teaches you what it feels like. We white folk don't know how lucky we are.

bunnylove

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
But the context is all important - and that is the part you are (intentionally?) ignoring.

Have you ever been the only black person in town? I haven't either, but having grown up in mono-culturally white Ireland and known one or two black people I have been given an insight into to how it must feel. Lonely, and that's just for starters.

It matters not a fig that you have some Indian blood - 7/32 is not perceivable and you will never have been treated as anything other than white. You have no way of understanding that other than empathy - which you appear to be lacking. There's not much for me to say beyond that. I hope you never have a life experience that directly teaches you what it feels like. We white folk don't know how lucky we are.

I've been the only white person in my entire class, and one of few in an entire school. Did it matter to me? Not at all. I don't care what color people are as long as they're good people. I don't "identify" with any specific cultural/ethnic group. I'm a diverse person. For you to say "we white folk don't know how lucky we are" seems like an ignorant observation. For instance: because I'm white, I can't take offense to a person of color saying they want to be around more people of color. I'm not allowed to look at it as "why can't you just enjoy the people you have around you?" How does that make me lucky that I can't think what I please nor say how I feel about said situation because of my skin color?

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
I've been the only white person in my entire class, and one of few in an entire school. Did it matter to me? Not at all. I don't care what color people are as long as they're good people. I don't "identify" with any specific cultural/ethnic group. I'm a diverse person. For you to say "we white folk don't know how lucky we are" seems like an ignorant observation. For instance: because I'm white, I can't take offense to a person of color saying they want to be around more people of color. I'm not allowed to look at it as "why can't you just enjoy the people you have around you?" How does that make me lucky that I can't think what I please nor say how I feel about said situation because of my skin color?

In a world where all things are equal I would agree with you. But all things are not equal, bunny - I believe I have made that point already.

*snip*

*snip*

Blacks have good reason to feel uncomfortable around whites and the inverse is just generally not true.

I'm glad skin colour doesn't matter to you - it doesn't matter to me either. If that could undo hundreds of years of abuse and oppression that'd be fine and dandy. But it can't. If you think there is 100% equality in your country, and that everyone is safe to be whoever they want to be regardless of where they are and what they do, you are sorely mistaken.

Now - it is clear you are not going to take my point and that you want to stay in la-la land where black people can't still be feeling the effects of all that nasty inconvenient history. I've made my point, you can take it or leave it. I am bowing out as we have derailed this thread enough.

bunnylove

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Blacks have good reason to feel uncomfortable around whites and the inverse is just generally not true.

I'm glad skin colour doesn't matter to you - it doesn't matter to me either. If that could undo hundreds of years of abuse and oppression that'd be fine and dandy. But it can't. If you think there is 100% equality in your country, and that everyone is safe to be whoever they want to be regardless of where they are and what they do, you are sorely mistaken.

Now - it is clear you are not going to take my point and that you want to stay in la-la land where black people can't still be feeling the effects of all that nasty inconvenient history. I've made my point, you can take it or leave it. I am bowing out as we have derailed this thread enough.

So, I'm supposed to cater to people having hurt feelings over something that happened over a century ago that didn't even happen to them? My ancestors were enslaved before theirs, and I'm not butthurt because of it.

CutestLittleEvil

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Could you come up with any more racist way to say that?

OMG. I leave for a week on holiday and my post has become a tirade on Black on White Racism.

Thank you all for your insight and understanding of my post. Several of you who posted clearly understand what I am saying.

And I didnt say I didnt like White people, or that I was witholding anything, cause I love 'em. My best friend is White. (Cause you know, can I be more cliche?)

Which is another reason I need to be around some Brown people, few of the not brown people here (in Vermont) "get it".

Oh and when I say brown people, I mean brown people. Not just Black. Everyone. Latinos, Indians, First Nations etc.... All people of color. I just like the rainbow all around me.

Oh wait. Addendum to the Brown.
I would like to duly apologize for omiting the Asian population.

I did withhold inclusion, and that would be the definition of racist. So for that. I apologize.

So can we get back to topic.

I would really like to be fucked by a great old sequoia of a cock, OF ANY COLOR.

Last edited: