can not add hardwear to Windows Vista oem :(

B_Marius567

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I was going to buy the OEM copy of Windows Vista but if I add any new hardwear windows vista will stop working :(

Im going install Linux on my new computer so I can save up the 200.00 for the retail copy of windows vista.

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Before you know it another version of Windows will be out anyway. What Windows computers I have are still XP and virtually all of them dual boot to Linux, which is what I use at home 99 % of the time. The other percent, I actually use XP and OS X on a rare occasion.

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I was going to buy the OEM copy of Windows Vista but if I add any new hardwear windows vista will stop working :(

Im going install Linux on my new computer so I can save up the 200.00 for the retail copy of windows vista.
What version of Windows are you running now? Pending that answer Linux is a very good (and much lighter) program. Go for it.

B_Lightkeeper

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
what does OEM mean? i just got a new laptop with vista, and i'm loving it. i dunno why so many peoples dis on it

I bought a new desktop with Vista (couldn't find one I liked that still had Windows XP) and here are just two reasons I don't like it.

I cannot use all the functions of my HP Scanjet 3570c scanner (which worked great with Windows XP) nor can I take advantage of AT&T's "accellator" service with Vista. I only have dial-up in my area which is s l o w as hell.

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight

I'm confused...how do you know this if you didn't already try to install it?
DId you borrow an OEM install disk and try to overlay it on top of what you had?
What's the scenario?

OEM software products are generally produced for the Main PC manufacturers and re-distributors.

They are generally branded with Dell, HP, Compaq, Sony, or Toshiba or any Original Equipment Manufacturer. An OEM software product will come with the disks, and a license code or Product code for installation. Activation is required, Free, and easy to do.

You can purchase Windows Vista Home Premium Retail Student Edition for about $77.00 on Pricewatch.
A full copy of Home Premium runs around $110.00
You can also purchase the Upgrade. Both HAVE TO BE INSTALLED 100% FRESH.

If you have Devices that are not recognized, are you SURE that they have updated drivers available for Windows Vista??

Many hardware suppliers and Older hardware is not supported by Vista. Trying to install old drivers into Vista will only make it unstable.

Load XP and run the Vista compatability tool on Microsoft's website.

To run WIndows Vista, you should have 1GB or more of memory, a 800+MHZ CPU/memory front side bus, a 128MB video card bare minimum, and a 3.0GHZ CPU

It's a memory/resource HOG. If you don't have the hardware to run it, I would recommend Windows XP Media Center Edition.

Last edited:

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

That is incorrect. What you have misunderstood is the level of change trigger that will prompt re-activation. Changing say a Graphics card or adding RAM etc will not, but changing a mainboard or changing the drive on which it's installed will.

It doesn't break it, it merely requires you re-activate it (although in the case of the Mainboard, there are circumstances under which a charge may apply - as it's no longer strictly OEM). If it's a legit copy you will have no problems doing so. Have a read about Vista OEM licensing.

Sound plan, but at least do it based on the facts, not a misunderstanding.

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The problem may be because the OEM version thinks your trying to install it on a second machine. You will probably have to add the hardware and do a complete system restore or repair. Put you machine into boot from cd mode and start the machine with the disk in the drive and choose repair it might restore any setting that let the computer remember the old configuration. Good luck

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The problem may be because the OEM version thinks your trying to install it on a second machine. You will probably have to add the hardware and do a complete system restore or repair. Put you machine into boot from cd mode and start the machine with the disk in the drive and choose repair it might restore any setting that let the computer remember the old configuration. Good luck

Your advised actions would achieve nothing other than waste time. The reason for the misconception is based on the reactivation provisions built into Vista. These are a well published and intentional (if irritating) attempt to circumvent piracy.

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I think your wrong only because I have added hardware to my vista install and also have already used the repair option when I messed up my registry trying to install a patch for the simultaneous connections limit. OEM is not like the purchased versions that have these snap shots of your system to stop you from installing on multiple machines. This happened when you verify your OS within 30 days of installation, this should not be needed for the OEM OS system.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I think your wrong only because I have added hardware to my vista install and also have already used the repair option when I messed up my registry trying to install a patch for the simultaneous connections limit. OEM is not like the purchased versions that have these snap shots of your system to stop you from installing on multiple machines. This happened when you verify your OS within 30 days of installation, this should not be needed for the OEM OS system.

Adding new hardware can in some circumstances invoke a need to reactivate, I said that already so I don't know what you're disagreeing with. This was the core of the OP's misunderstanding.

System recovery snapshots have nothing to do with preventing multiple installs. A repair installation after goofing up your PC isn't at all the same thing as a repair installation to evade an OEM licensing issue; the former would only rarely invoke a reactivation, the latter very well might - depending on what has changed, hardware wise.

But yes, OEM copies often don't require activation, or rather are in effect 'pre-activated'. Sometimes they do however, depending on a number of factors.