Can Obama and Clinton repair the rift?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Osiris, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Osiris

Gold Member

The media this morning is making an issue of the close quarters encounter of Senators Obama and Clinton at last night's State of the Union Address. Obama and Clinton ignoring each other. Clinton and other Senators reaching over Obama to shake hands and Obama turning away and being engaged by Senator McCaskill.

Do you think that all this rangling about the race issue and the nasty tone both campaigns have taken can be mended for the better?

I think it can, but it is going to involve Bill Clinton shutting his fat mouth. Mind you I worked for the man and generally respect him, so for me to say he is being a moron in this, is a step for me.

I will also say if I was on the fence before, I am not now and the wind blows Obama for me. Clinton be damned.

What say you?

2. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    I think this incident may be being overplayed by the media.here's a report from a reporter who was in the chamber:
    David Axelrod, on MSNBC, offers an alternate explanation for that awkward moment on the floor:
    I don't think he snubbed her at all. First of all, they acknowledged each other as they entered the chamber. But I think he knew that Senator Kennedy and Senator Clinton were friends. This was obviously an awkward day from that standpoint, and I don't think he wanted to stand there while Senator Kennedy was greeting Senator Clinton. And I think that was an appropriate sentiment. Unfortunately, the camera caught it in a different way, and so it got interpreted that way. And that's the kind of environment we're in right now. It's a very competitive race, so every little thing is going to be interpreted in that way. But it was really a matter of letting Senator Kennedy have his own conversation, his own greeting with Senator Clinton without him hovering over them.

...I think it's understandable that he would not want to stand there with Senator Kennedy as if he were lording it over her. You know, I understand that.

3. rob_just_rob

Gold Member

The Dems aren't being subtle about throwing this election AT ALL.

4. Industrialsize

Albums:
    Senator Mcain and Governor Romney have not exactly been paragons of civility over the past few days.....

5. B_houugadunor

B_houugadunor member

I am sure some part of this is media hype and over analysis of a situation that is most likely completely innocent!

6. swordfishME

swordfishME Member

Speaking as someone from the media, you can bet your bottom dollar on it

7. Osiris

Gold Member

My thoughts exactly.

True, but the attacks of Clinton on Obama have been a bit more personal in nature. Not to mention when race comes into it, it's going to get personal.

True. Afterall it is the nature of the beast to beat down each other until the candidate is picked and then everybody is friends and smiles and sucking up to be the #2. I'm just not sure how much of this got personal and will they be able to look past t and run the country effectively. If they are given the shot I mean.

8. swordfishME

swordfishME Member

Isn't the Dems Reason-de-atre to blow a sure thing?

9. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

I'm confused... isn't this politics as usual, being played the way it is always played? During the primaries, the "two parties" basically ignore each other, and demonize their competition within the party; once each party has winnowed it down and selected a final candidate, it closes ranks and demonizes the competition from the other party.

Right now, of course, Clinton and Obama are pretty much at each others' throats, calling each other the worst possible names, each claiming the other isn't fit to run for dog catcher. After one of them wins the nomination, of course, the other will change his or her tune, and claim the candidate is the greatest thing since sliced marble rye.

I just can't believe the sheeple fall for it again and again, over and over, year after year.

10. Osiris

Gold Member

Ordinarily I would say you are right, but there is something different with these two. I can't put my finger on it, but the air between these two is different than others in the past. And it goes beyond being female or black and running.

11. swordfishME

swordfishME Member

Obama wants to change all of that. He wants to run a clean campaign.

12. dong20

Gold Member

I agree, but let's hope you don't come to regret that choice of terminology.:cool:

13. swordfishME

swordfishME Member

Mostly because each seems to have developed a massive sense of entitlement for the nomination and the presidency.

14. Principessa

Gold Member

I noticed that as well a few weeks ago. To use an 80's phrase I think they both have "the eye of the tiger". They are both running their campaigns as if it's winner take all. I think they need to step back and realize that they will need to pick a running mate and Edwards or even my personal pick Kucinich is probably not going to provide a winning ticket.

Does he? Does he really? Or has he temporarily lost site of that?

15. Industrialsize

Albums:
    I think he did lose his sight for a week, But he has it back now......Just heard President Clinton give a speech for his wife, and wonder of wonders, he spoke only of her and G.W. Bush!

16. swordfishME

swordfishME Member

He has not lost sight of it. He is just agitated that everyone else does not want to play the game by his rules

17. jockbod

jockbod New Member

Albums:
    i think Kennedy is supporting a needed change in politics. while I do like Hillary, her electability is of concern to me. Obama I think is more electable at this time.

If I stand to be corrected...let me know

18. swordfishME

swordfishME Member

Kennedy supporting a change in politics? Irony or ironies

19. rob_just_rob

Gold Member

There are a significant number of voters who will never vote for a black man.

There's also a significant number of voters who will never vote for a woman.

Thus my comment about throwing what looks to be a very important election.

20. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

A lot of it may be all hype, but one thing I have noticed is that Democrats have this nasty way on inadvertently destroying themselves. Both Obama and Clinton want to be President so badly, that they're willing to get a little too dirty with the politics. The verbal bashing and personal attacks are bound to turn off a lot of undecided voters.

One thing I do give Republicans credit for is how they manage to rally behind their candidate. Even if they don't win the nomination, they all support the one that does have it. They realize that in the end, all they want is a Republican in office for that would mean they would have a better chance in having their conservative voices and opinions heard. Keep in mind, this is the ONLY thing I give Republicans credit for. :biggrin1:

I just hope that after the smoke clears, the Dems can put aside their differences and focus on the real prize. I'm more than ready to vote for either Obama or Clinton, as soon as they can figure out who they want to lead the party.

Draft saved Draft deleted