Can Obama and Clinton repair the rift?

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Well, for starters, there's the Bay of Pigs and Cuban Missile Crisis, the escalation of involvement in Vietnam, the failure to support the civil rights movement...
No explanation needed, from wikipedia;
Robert Francis "Bobby" Kennedy (November 20, 1925 – June 6, 1968), also called RFK, was one of two younger brothers of US President John F. Kennedy and served as United States Attorney General from 1961 to 1964 and a US Senator from New York from 1965 until his assassination in 1968. He was one of President Kennedy's most trusted advisors and worked closely with the president during the Cuban Missile Crisis. His contribution to the African-American Civil Rights Movement is sometimes considered his greatest legacy.
After his brother's assassination in late 1963, Kennedy continued as Attorney General under President Johnson for nine months. He resigned in September 1964 and was elected to the United States Senate from New York that November. He broke with Johnson over the Vietnam War, among other issues.

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
No explanation needed, from wikipedia;
Robert Francis "Bobby" Kennedy (November 20, 1925 – June 6, 1968), also called RFK, was one of two younger brothers of US President John F. Kennedy and served as United States Attorney General from 1961 to 1964 and a US Senator from New York from 1965 until his assassination in 1968. He was one of President Kennedy's most trusted advisors and worked closely with the president during the Cuban Missile Crisis. His contribution to the African-American Civil Rights Movement is sometimes considered his greatest legacy.
After his brother's assassination in late 1963, Kennedy continued as Attorney General under President Johnson for nine months. He resigned in September 1964 and was elected to the United States Senate from New York that November. He broke with Johnson over the Vietnam War, among other issues.

a) passing civil rights legislation means very little if you don't enforce that legislation.

b) regardless of Johnson's later actions, Kennedy was the one to escalate US involvement, in the form of "advisors" and military aid.

It's funny how mamy people idealize JFK (and RFK), despite their failures.

dreamer20

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Correction. The civil rights movement had its greatest successes in the 1960's, especially during LBJ's administration.

I take it the federal government's standing aside while beatings, shootings, arson, and assorted forms of intimidation took place, is now considered a success?

a) passing civil rights legislation means very little if you don't enforce that legislation.

In addition to passing such legislation, both Robert Kennedy and LBJ did enforce it.

African-American Civil Rights Movement (1955-1968) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Whose country? :confused:

Personally, I think that Obama would make a fine president - couldn't be worse than the incumbetent, anyway. However, I also think that many people here are underestimating the number of racists in the USA.

Thank you thank you thank you my thoughts exactly. There are way too many racist people in America today, hell look at how many racist people there are on LPSG :eek:

If you've read my posts on this site you should have no doubt my support of black people (its the dirty jersey in me), hell I defended Al Sharpton a few times here. I have this feeling that is why Bill was dropping the race bomb on everyone, he was basically saying, "If you elect Obama the republicans will win because no swing voters or repubs are ever gonna vote for a black man." Of course, then obama can say the same thing "..are never gonna vote for a woman." And this is now where the democratic problem lies. This election is basically being handed to them (us) and we have a woman and a black guy going up against the republican machine and their racist parts. Is the obama revolution/bandwagon strong enough to overcome this?

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
This election is basically being handed to them (us) and we have a woman and a black guy going up against the republican machine and their racist parts. Is the obama revolution/bandwagon strong enough to overcome this?

*nods head vigorously*

Call me paranoid if you like, but I have a feeling that the Republican smear machine will have a field day with a black candidate, middle name Hussein, who was educated in Indonesia and a crony of Oprah Winfrey.

swordfishME

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
*nods head vigorously*

Call me paranoid if you like, but I have a feeling that the Republican smear machine will have a field day with a black candidate, middle name Hussein, who was educated in Indonesia and a crony of Oprah Winfrey.

But all of that (and a lost election) will not matter because he inspires hope in people :rolleyes:

swordfishME

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Actually for the most part I think Barack Obama has handled himself with dignity for the most part, he had a bad week last week, I think Bill got under his skin and he let it show. But i think he has his feet back under himself now and will probably now be a better candidate.....

And you think that the republicans will not try to get under his skin?

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Getting in late but want to comment on several posts here.

1. Baggage - Hillary may have more baggage than Obama, but all of hers has already been made public, the people are tired of hearing about it. And the Republicans in going back into the 90's will also have to deal with a very successful Clinton presidency. Balanced budget, prosperity and no war. The Republicans may not want to revisit the 90's. Certainly if Hillary can convince the public that her administration will also balance the budget, bring prosperity and bring peace, she will win in a landslide.

Here in Arkansas, enough e-mails have passed around that many people are convinced that Obama is a Muslim. Hillary is not going to attack Obama's childhood. But the Republicans will find anything and if they can't they will create it. I'm sure that for the right price, school mates of Obama will say what they are paid to say in regard to Obama's past in Indonesia.

Those e-mails and more like them are going to continue to circulate. At one point Obama indicated that the Clintons were behind them. I doubt that. I have received several copies recently, all from right wing Republicans who happen to have my e-mail address.

2. The reality is that the Senate records of Obama and Hillary are extremely similar. What they would do has president is almost the same. Therefore, it is difficult for them to run against each other except iob personal issues and convincing Democrats which one would be most effective and have best chance of winning.

3. Winning is about getting your people out to vote more than convincing those who don't agree with you to vote for you. Therefore, if Clinton gets the nomination, I fully expect her to offer the second spot to Obama and i think he will take it. It makes sense. Large groups of women headed to the polls to elect a woman president. Large groups of blacks headed to the polls to elect a black candidate.

I don't think Clinton will accept the number two spot. I beleive Obama will make an effert to get her to take it, but I don't think she will accept it. She might. She is 60. She knows she probably won't get another shot at running for president. She will be 60 if she serves eight years. Obama can get another shot as he is younger.

One extra comment about Obama. Some might think that he would be able to make a breakthrough in foreign policy because his father is Muslim. The reality is most avid followers of some religions despise people who were once with them and now have changed religions.

While I am for Hillary. I am not anti-Obama. There is a vast difference. He is a like able guy. The Democratic nominee will get my vote in November.

It has been a wonderful year for the Democrats as far as virtue goes. The top two candidates are a woman and a black. This is the first election where a woman or a black have had a credible chance at wining the nomination of their party for president. Even if the Democrats lose, they have stood on principle and it will bode will for them in the future.

whatsurflavor

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I think that they can repair their rift. I think when it comes down to it, when elections come around, i think democrats will be united . Demcrats are also coming out in record numbers to all the primaries ect. As an african american, i think that the clintons have used the race card a bit, but so what? The clintons did a lot for blacks in the 90's so its not like thier racist. hell I kinda want Clinton and Obama to be running mates!

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I think that they can repair their rift. I think when it comes down to it, when elections come around, i think democrats will be united . Demcrats are also coming out in record numbers to all the primaries ect. As an african american, i think that the clintons have used the race card a bit, but so what? The clintons did a lot for blacks in the 90's so its not like thier racist. hell I kinda want Clinton and Obama to be running mates!

I'll go on record as predicting that they will be.

frgman

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I agree, OverPlayed. Really I like them both. I think I will vote for Ob unless I change my mind later, I might. Either way, it will be history in the making, don't you agree?

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
this sort of dated thinking does nothing to further your country.
Canada? What does furthering Canada have to do with this discussion?

I'll go on record as predicting that they will be.
I went on record, very early in this thread, predicting that they would "repair the rift." Today's headlines proved me correct.