Can someone explain college to me, please?

Nrets

Experimental Member
Media
I want to share my perception of college since I am now a senior, and I know exactly what you are talking about. I recently "figured" college out. I feel like college is a microcosm of the world. Everything we do in this world for a living or for a hobby or for any reason at all complies to a system so that things can run smoothly. How the rules are made are completely arbitrary. What the things are and how they came to be are equally arbitrary.
In college you have two years of basic education where you learn entry level things in all sorts of fields. The actual knowledge from the classes helps make you a well rounded citizen.
More importantly, is how you learn to get things in by deadlines, and learning communications with others in the class and with professors so that you can make things easier for yourself when you ultimately have to deal with others in whatever you end up doing in life.
At some point in college you may realize that you don't have to study as hard.
That is because so many things are connected, and answers will come easier to you if you spend considerable time as a student
This makes many things in life easier.
Anything from being able to differentiate what the media tells us from the truth to figuring out what a manual really means.
And as you get to higher level classes, you realize that the professors are only human and they are the ones, in many cases who wrote the books.
So you may begin to realize that your answers are just as valid as their answers.
At this point college is paying off.
One of the fields probably was more interesting than any other.
You can finish and get a degree that will show that you had the aptitude to finsih and you learned some basic skills which are needed in white collar work.
Or you can continue on in your field of interest so you have a specialized degree.
Whatever the case, the work that you did getting your 4 year degree pays off because things that are interesting to you will be easier to figure out with the connections you inevitably make between subject matter.

B_henry miller

Expert Member
Media
Thanks. Great response. This is what I'm coming to realize: that I am putting too much emphasis on grades. If they grade me down based on a personal bias, so be it.

The only thing I don't agree on is my cock. It's not big, lol. But thanks for saying it is. :wink:

You know... if you think your professors are intimidated by you now, based on your knowledge and skill at whatever it is that you do... imagine how they'd feel if you whipped out your huge cock and flopped it on their desk! Probably send some of those professors into early retirement!

By the way here's a quote for ya...

"Those who can't do, teach. Those who can't teach, teach gym."
-Jack Black in "School of Rock"

If you're great at what you do, do it! Don't worry what anyone else thinks... including your teachers. Enjoy your time at college. Explore some new things. Meet some interesting people. Create some connections that will stay with you for the rest of your life. It's not all about the classes and the content. It's more about learning to wade throught the beaurocratic nonsense and developing social skills. Before you know it, it'll be over and you'll be on to your next challenge... looking for more answers to questions that cannot be answered. Just have fun.

alex8.5

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I have college and University degrees coming out of my ass. I used the degrees to help me work that I found not to be pleasurable at all, mostly in Social work and psychotherapy. I found that college and university only teach you how to learn things and how to become a better thinker. Now I'm a successful author, and really the only thing I put my degrees to is to be smart on how to research subject matters.

B_henry miller

Expert Member
Media
By the way, great quote.

My challenge in this situation is not making it clear to my teachers that I see this. What intimidates them is that rarely do students with as much experience as me end up going back to school. They are used to dealing with people who are just now being introduced to this subject in college, whereas I have 20 years of experience. I've been struggling to find a way that they are my superior. The only way they are my superior is in the most basic way: that they have degrees and teach the class.

By the way here's a quote for ya...

"Those who can't do, teach. Those who can't teach, teach gym."
-Jack Black in "School of Rock"

B_henry miller

Expert Member
Media
I think I need to talk to you further. Sounds like we have some things in common.

I have college and University degrees coming out of my ass. I used the degrees to help me work that I found not to be pleasurable at all, mostly in Social work and psychotherapy. I found that college and university only teach you how to learn things and how to become a better thinker. Now I'm a successful author, and really the only thing I put my degrees to is to be smart on how to research subject matters.

LeeEJ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The only way they are my superior is in the most basic way: that they have degrees and teach the class.

That's really the only qualification they need, too. Someone's going to teach the class, and it's not gonna be a student, even if it's you.

In the few instances where I knew more than the professor, I still kept my mouth shut, and only offered advice or opinions if I was asked or if I was put into the proper position.

That didn't happen all the time, though, but I felt it was no big deal. Let them do their thing and teach the class, and let me get my easy A. If I really had a problem with what they were doing, I'd talk with them about it, but nobody else in the class was going to find out what I thought.

They already put their necks out there on the chopping block every time they step in front of a class. Don't make it any worse for 'em.

B_henry miller

Expert Member
Media
Yes. Not in college, but in high school. As I mentioned earlier, one teacher actually had a bit of an outburst when, after class, I asked him to clarify correction he made. He got defensive and started by saying, "I know you've had a lot of training...." Which made it apparent to me that he thought I had an attitude or something.

Another thing to take into account is that in these rarified art worlds, egos are fragile and easily hurt. There is suspicion from one style to another, jealousy, etc. Actually, earlier someone mentioned a teacher on a campus who had a cult-like following. This is common in the art world I'm in. It's common for a student to pick ONE teacher or school and not associate with any other, often looking down on and ridiculing the other teachers and schools. (And there was a time when any student who took from a number of teachers and schools were looked down on, called "school hoppers.")

It's a prickly, snobby, rarified world. That's the way the art world is.

But -- are you really? Have you gotten worse grades from professors who have called you arrogant even if you've done quality work?

B_henry miller

Expert Member
Media
Your tone is so hostile that I shouldn't dignify it with a response. If you remain hostile I'm not going to respond further.

The only thing I'm missing is a degree -- because I want to have the option to teach at a university, and you NEED A DEGREE for that.

I DID have a solid career in this, but it is a career that wanes with aging and you have to leave the field or teach it.... and that brings me back to needing the degree.

If you're such a pro at this, you would have that career already. You are missing something, and there is something you need to learn, otherwise you'd have that career. It's possible that what you need to learn isn't the subject matter of the courses, but how to socially interact with people in your profession, how to create important connections that will help you in your career, and precisely what to do with your life and this profession.

B_henry miller

Expert Member
Media
Thank you for this response. This is what I've learned to do. I just keep quiet as much as possible.

That's really the only qualification they need, too. Someone's going to teach the class, and it's not gonna be a student, even if it's you.

In the few instances where I knew more than the professor, I still kept my mouth shut, and only offered advice or opinions if I was asked or if I was put into the proper position.

That didn't happen all the time, though, but I felt it was no big deal. Let them do their thing and teach the class, and let me get my easy A. If I really had a problem with what they were doing, I'd talk with them about it, but nobody else in the class was going to find out what I thought.

They already put their necks out there on the chopping block every time they step in front of a class. Don't make it any worse for 'em.

Guy-jin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
Your tone is so hostile that I shouldn't dignify it with a response. If you remain hostile I'm not going to respond further.

The only thing I'm missing is a degree -- because I want to have the option to teach at a university, and you NEED A DEGREE for that.

I DID have a solid career in this, but it is a career that wanes with aging and you have to leave the field or teach it.... and that brings me back to needing the degree.

I promise you I wasn't being hostile. That's all I can really do. It's hard to convey tone and physical gestures with text alone.

And I'll reiterate: If you had everything you needed, you would have that career. If you were a professional at teaching whatever it is you're talking about, you'd be doing it. You need to learn something. That's what college is about. It isn't just getting a piece of paper.

It will sometimes be the case that you're forced to take classes about things you already know. But saying you knew literally everything you needed to to get that career, and the only thing you had holding you back was that you didn't have a degree is just not believable.

B_henry miller

Expert Member
Media
I've already addressed your concerns above. You just didn't listen. I'm not interested in repeating myself, and I'm not interested in reading you repeat yourself. Consider this issue dropped, okay? I'm tired of our dialogue. (And I'm sorry to break the news to you, but there are some instances where college IS only about a piece of paper.)

Guy-jin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
I've already addressed your concerns above. You just didn't listen. I'm not interested in repeating myself, and I'm not interested in reading you repeat yourself. Consider this issue dropped, okay? I'm tired of our dialogue. (And I'm sorry to break the news to you, but there are some instances where college IS only about a piece of paper.)

Who's being hostile now, sir?

I, for one, never said that the things you had to learn were the subject matter of your classes (in fact, I said I believe you that you probably know all that already).

And consider, as well, that I certainly never said that you're currently learning anything.

I will say that I am of the opinion that if you're going to college solely for a piece a paper, then you're wasting your time. That piece of paper will not open significantly more doors for you unless you've learned a lot in the process of earning it. And because of that, I have a great deal of difficulty believing you know "everything." Perhaps it will take some years before you realize that you've learned many things. Or perhaps, after those years, you'll realize you wasted your time with college because you learned nothing and only ended up with a piece of paper at the end of the day. I, for one, hope it's the former, because that much time wasted would be a great shame.

I'm sorry if I wasn't more gentle in expressing that to you. As all of us are, I am still learning many things in my life, including how to express my opinions over the Internet without stepping on any toes.

LeeEJ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
And I'll reiterate: If you had everything you needed, you would have that career. If you were a professional at teaching whatever it is you're talking about, you'd be doing it. You need to learn something. That's what college is about. It isn't just getting a piece of paper.

The thing is, you can't teach in a public institution without that piece of paper. Unless you have a teaching certificate, you won't be allowed to wield that grading pen.

lesmeljos

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I have read and re-read your original post. You maintain that you have "nearly a 4.00..." Are you in your first year of college, or second or final...? Have you taken any courses in English?
If this is what "nearly a 4.00..." exemplifies, I am indeed amazed...

LeeEJ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Another aspect of college:

I have read and re-read your original post. You maintain that you have "nearly a 4.00..." Are you in your first year of college, or second or final...? Have you taken any courses in English?
If this is what "nearly a 4.00..." exemplifies, I am indeed amazed...

Dealing with dickheads who'll pick on you despite the trash spewed by everyone else.

Guy-jin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
The thing is, you can't teach in a public institution without that piece of paper. Unless you have a teaching certificate, you won't be allowed to wield that grading pen.

As well you shouldn't. Because you need to go to school to learn how to teach.

And if you're a teacher at a public institution by profession, you ought to know just how much knowledge that entails. And I'm not just talking about knowledge of the subject matter.

LeeEJ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

As well you shouldn't. Because you need to go to school to learn how to teach.

And if you're a teacher at a public institution by profession, you ought to know just how much knowledge that entails. And I'm not just talking about knowledge of the subject matter.

Right. And judging by what he's written so far, he has enough knowledge to pass on to classes of students, and has had plenty of career experience "in the field" -- but still doesn't have that piece of paper that the state requires.

So, for the most part, he's still going to college mainly for that piece of paper.

Guy-jin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
Right. And judging by what he's written so far, he has enough knowledge to pass on to classes of students, and has had plenty of career experience "in the field" -- but still doesn't have that piece of paper that the state requires.

So, for the most part, he's still going to college mainly for that piece of paper.

Career experience in the field isn't enough to make someone a good teacher. Any good teacher can tell you that.

That's what the piece of paper represents: That you learned how to become a teacher. Nobody with any sense goes to college knowing everything already because it's a waste of time.

LeeEJ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Career experience in the field isn't enough to make someone a good teacher. Any good teacher can tell you that.

That's what the piece of paper represents: That you learned how to become a teacher. Nobody with any sense goes to college knowing everything already because it's a waste of time.

On the other hand, I've had teachers who had no experience with what I wanted to do, and it showed. I had to learn that stuff on my own, though my own sources.

Good thing I was in college.