Can we be friends?

softblack

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Simple question - Can you be friends with the opposite sex without wanting to have sex?

In my opinion no matter how much you deny it there is always that fleeting moment when you think about it.

ConstantComment

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I can. guys whose personality I like but can't fathom sex with are put in the Friends Zone. I have since come to terms that this rarely works. So I have fewer male friends and I work on keeping them as shallow as possible.

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Simple question - Can you be friends with the opposite sex without wanting to have sex?

In my opinion no matter how much you deny it there is always that fleeting moment when you think about it.

I definitely have had many female friends.

If I am more than a little sexually attracted to them, then it gets more complicated.

softblack

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I can. guys whose personality I like but can't fathom sex with are put in the Friends Zone. I have since come to terms that this rarely works. So I have fewer male friends and I work on keeping them as shallow as possible.

Classic!

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

Classic!

Hmm, "100% straight", the original post, and the quoted portion ^^^^^^^^ don't seem to jibe.

:confused:

Redheadchi

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I have plenty of girl friends that I don't want to have sex with. Sure I've thought about it but thats as far as it goes. It might just be me but for most of my girl friends I value their friendship more than having what would most likely be a one time thing.

Last edited:

D_Cateryke Cheesysmell

Experimental Member
Media
Why must we never think of a platonic friend sexually? I do not understand the need to deny the impulse. I certainly think it is possible to have a friendship with a woman without (even subconsciously) seeking a sexual relationship with her. I have female friends who are both lovely people and so utterly unattractive as to never cross my mind as sexual partners. I have female friends who are lovely people and hot as hell but the friendships were still completely platonic. That doesn't mean wanting to fuck their brains out doesn't cross my mind from time to time but if they're not interested, so be it. I don't buy the notion that an acknowledgement of their sexuality somehow forever "taints" our future friendship. I, and they, have more self control than that.

dongalong

Mythical Member
Media

Yes - if you know that they have some STD, if you know that they are jealous as fuck or have other psychological issues, if they are ugly and in every other way incompatible.

Some people are really good fun to be with but unless you seek problems, intimacy is best avoided.

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Cap and I have discussed this many, many oh so many times before. We are just wired completely different. That's all there is to it.

I have many male friends that I would never ever entertain the thought of having sex with them. It's just not in the realm of possibilities.

Cap has already confessed years ago to thinking my own Mum is sexy. He said if something ever happened when me and my Dad were out of the picture... well. I think it's icky, but she is a very attractive woman.

I think given the opportunity he would revert to his old ways and "do" every female that came across his path. I've fantasized mostly about unattainable people like stars and such. My friends are my friends. There's no "taking it to another level." That, to me is another world, and they couldn't breathe in that atmosphere. Makes sense? To me it does.

pcghabsy

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Yes - if you know that they have some STD, if you know that they are jealous as fuck or have other psychological issues, if they are ugly and in every other way incompatible.

Some people are really good fun to be with but unless you seek problems, intimacy is best avoided.

If they have an STD - well, the desire will still persist. As for the other conditions, if we were that incompatible, we wouldn't bother being good friends. Or even acquaintances.

L_Lynn

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay

Yes. I have a male friend that I ballroom dance with unbelievably well, but have absolutely no attraction to him whatsoever. None. Zilch. Uh-uh. Ain't never gonna happen, baby.

Then I have the male friends who are undeniably sexy, sweet guys I adore. And yes there are moments when we might stand a little too close when we are a little too drunk and the thought flits through my head, "We could so have sex right now." but we don't act on it.

If I am more than a little sexually attracted to them, then it gets more complicated.

And then there is SilverTrain. Hmm...

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Yes. I have a male friend that I ballroom dance with unbelievably well, but have absolutely no attraction to him whatsoever. None. Zilch. Uh-uh. Ain't never gonna happen, baby.

Then I have the male friends who are undeniably sexy, sweet guys I adore. And yes there are moments when we might stand a little too close when we are a little too drunk and the thought flits through my head, "We could so have sex right now." but we don't act on it.

And then there is SilverTrain. Hmm...

Meet me 'round the back, you sultry _____...................

:biggrin1: