Can We Praise the Italian Greyhound a Bit?

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Ahhhh. I love this breed. After my last pal of 14 yrs passed and it took like another 2 yrs to get over it.....I started to think of what doggie should I get. I am so anamoured of the IG and their personalities. Unfort. they're also very expensive. Very. I found an IG rescue. If you know rescue organizations as I do you really have to pass their test. They came here after I filled out a 6 page online application. After many phone calls the founders came here to interview me and to make sure my apt. was 'greyhound proof'. These dogs are very active and you really do need to modify yr living space for them. Anyway I had done that. These folks were lawyersthat do the rescue thing. We went back and forth on some dogs and finally I got a call that they had a dog they thot would be great for me. I RAAAAAAAAnnnnnnnnnnnnn down there as fast as I could smiling ear to ear, jumping up and down, upand down, up and down, up and down. I spent a few hours there and met the sweet pooch. I feel IN LOVE. IN LOVE w/this doggie. I gave them my rescue fee after they clipped his nails. The first few days w/him were like heaven. I named him Spider. He was all sinewy and muscley even tho he was skinny and everything I could have hoped for. NOW if you knwo anything about Iggies it's that they are in love w/the people they live with and they're yr best friend for life.
God how did I of all people then find the one IG that had a mental problem. It tried to rip my lip off one nite. Yes in the theatre of the hard to believe....I lucked onto to ONE IG in a million w/issues.
I called the rescue org but they couldn't do anything about it for a few days. Was a weird situation as I had this dog in my house that tried to rip my lip off but he still seemed so sweet and he was I guess and even after that he did the usual IG thing...the followed me everywhere, tried to get under the covers w/me and I let him usually b/c I thot aybe there was hope. The rescue org. thot it would be good to send him to aguy in ersey that works w/Iggies that are forward and aggressive..so atypical for them.
THAT DAY, ack, I brought him down to meet the guy who was to bring him to Jersey. I had aknot in my throat all day. I was so sad. Despite the fact that he did that I wa soooo attached to him from the word hello'. After I dropped him off I went to work. I felt like such a fool. I sat down to run a conference and lost it. I completely lost it. I bawled and bawled. People came up to me b/c they knew how much I wanted an Iggy and this didn't go right and I just cried and cried b/c I really did love Spider despite the fact he ripped at me.
OK moving on.....
Yeah I spent alot of time on that story.....Iggies reall are a great breed and think I'm now gonna try to get a new one. Everytime I see someone walking an IG I make a point to talk to that person. Everyone has nothing but good to say.
My experience was bittersweet, and I still think of Spider all the time, so I hope I can find or rescue another soon. Hopefuly for less than a thousand,,,,,,heeee. Really these are the BEST dogs and when they look you in the eye you CAN believe they speak english and can read minds!

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I know that you are sad about Spider. But when you are ready, there will always be another Italian greyhound. You could get a AKG cert puppy or two. You never know.

Good luck with the next Iggies.

bearonwry

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Dog do stuff like that...I have Min Pins and they are very well behaved but there have been issues from time to time.They have each bitten me but I would never get rid of either of them.How long did you have Spider? Why did you have to get rid of him because of one incident? Butch bites me sever times every winter when he gets salty paws on icy days...I wipe the salt off his paws and he bites me while I get the salt off his paws.But he is in pain he just want the pain to stop...

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I was bitten once whn my lip wa ripped open. I called the rescue org. and they told me they' thake him to that place. At the time b/c it as kinda traumatic I listened to them. In retrospect I think hey wee afraid of being sued so they took him back. They are lawyers after all that run that rescue. In hindsight they didn't even try to get me to 'work' w/him. I prob unfort. listened to them telling me he was a 1 in a million that was aggressive. I won't do that again. PLus working w/a rescue org. is a learnng thing on both sides. Now I know alot more.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Thx Invisi. argghhh. If could ONLY tell you how may hours and hours I spend thinking about it. I can't even explain in a thread really how I feel about these dogs.

Just think the next Iggies you get could adore you as much as you do them...you may get the super well-behaved yet loveable puppy dogs.

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
That would be great. I'm not so concerned aboot super well behaved, tho the iggies usually are despite their atomic energy, I'm sure the next will be good when I get another thousand dollars...lol.

bearonwry

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I am sure it is...there was an IG at the dog park I took my dogs to in Chicago.
He was the only one that could keep up with them.They always had fun when he was there.They are so similar.
That would be quite a shock! (having you're lip ripped open!)

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It was and I'm still sorry about having to give him back. I can't even tell you how much. Having said that. Now I have even more time to devote to one. I hate to soun over the top but I would give anything to have an Iggy now!

Awww......

You deserve a dog that loves and trusts you as much as you do him or her. I hope no other dog will ever need rescue, but if they do, I'm sure any dog would find themselves well loved in your home. Give it time. It's worth waiting for the right dog.

carlton10

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
If you cant find another IG- Try a Whippet. I had one for 15 years and when he died, it was so traumatic for me. Havent been able to get another dog since. They are also very devoted and become your friend for life. I always thought that for me the IG was too small, the Greyhound-too large- but the Whippet was the great in between size.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I've always loved Greyhounds. I've never had a dog, but it is my favorite breed. They seem very regal to me, and also friendly. One time on vacation a guy had a miniature one. I started to pet it from inside the pool. He was a sweet dog, but all I could think about is that it looked like a rat from that angle.:biggrin1:

Good luck with finding an Iggie.

Last edited:

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
the Siberian Husky is one of the pinnacles of creation ... and they are, hands down, always my first choice but, Italian Greyhounds have also been on the short list, as well ...