Can words really lose thier power? Are they powerful to begin with?

galaxus

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Curse words, N-word, "fag", "gay", "bitch"....... would we still be offended if they were said all the time?

DiscoBoy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It depends on the context in which they are said and the intention behind saying it. If you want it to sound offensive, it will sound offensive.

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Curse words, N-word, "fag", "gay", "bitch"....... would we still be offended if they were said all the time?

It depends on the context in which they are said and the intention behind saying it. If you want it to sound offensive, it will sound offensive.

True... "N-word" is ALWAYS offensive. "Fag" is not offensive if referring to a cigarette in the UK (although it could be argued that cigarettes are offensive, and you wouldn't get any argument on that from ME!). "Gay" is only offensive if someone uses it like "That's so gay" but if someone is just saying they're gay, that's not offensive. "Bitch" is not offensive when it's used during dog shows. :biggrin1: (They have dog shows on Animal Planet and one of my running jokes is that the announcers say "Bitch" a lot but it's still rated TV-G :biggrin1:) Curse words don't bother me too much unless it's every other word. Which is funny because I was raised in a family that was VERY offended by any cursing.

Pendlum

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I know gay guys who say fag and faggot, and call things gay all the time. The N word will probably never be okay, but I'm fine with that. It sounds ugly anyways. It has some of the strongest history backing it. Most racial slurs will never be okay, even if you try to take it back. (Haha.. Clerks 2. It's okay, I'm taking it back.)

Also
Shitty shitty fag fag, shitty shitty fag fag, how do you do.