Can you believe this?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by nakedwally, Jul 7, 2007.

1. nakedwally

Gold Member

Albums:
  2. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Wally, if I may ask... is First Christian Church a liberal/progressive church or is it (as I suspect) a much more conservative, fundamental church? I have a theory going on here...

3. Hryblkone

Hryblkone New Member

Have you seen the video of the parishoner attacked by a predator while she was sitting in the pew praying? The police eventually caught up with him.

4. nakedwally

Gold Member

Albums:

it's non-denominational church, a mixture of conservative and liberal. I attended there for 12 years, I am bisexual and they accept me, they never make an issue out of it they accept me for who i am. the minister's two sons there are 100% gay

5. Male Bonding etc

Gold Member

I think this stuff happens just about anywhere, probably more of a social issue than just a conservative religious one. Still, I am curious about your theory, DC.

6. Kassokilleri2ff

Why bother to go to church and be a priest if you obviously dont believe in your own religion. If they did you would think they wouldn't do these things.

7. nakedwally

Gold Member

Albums:
    i still am curious about this theory too

8. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

:biggrin1: Thanks for destroying my theory! It seems like it's usually the more sexually repressive churches that create the most & worst deviants.

Sorry to hear that it happened, especially if you know anyone involved.

9. nakedwally

Gold Member

Albums:
    well i know it happens everywhere i am mostly shocked cause i have been a member for over 10 years

10. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

it's called seeking out a position of power / access - it happens in all institutions where adults have control over kids - not just religious institutions.. sad, sick behaviour

11. nakedwally

Gold Member

Albums:
    completely agreed MB

12. nakedwally

Gold Member

Albums:
    well i met the guy that committed the crime and i got a bad vibe from him i met him a few months ago while visiting Florida, and yes there are a lot of old time conservatives who attend the church, but it is pretty liberal progressive congration so whatever your theory was you may be partially right

13. Principessa

Gold Member

I remember that! It was just a few months ago in New York. I was equally bothered by the fact that the church needed to put a video camera in the sanctuary at all.

This is a terrible thing to have happen anywhere; it doesn't matter what denomination it is.

I am glad that you escaped unscathed Wally.

14. D_Harry_Crax

D_Harry_Crax Account Disabled

Who said churches were safe? They have been damaging people's minds for centuries.

15. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

Agree'd.... church isn't safe for anything... never was.

16. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

For those of you who have asked, my theory is both simple and complex: the more you attempt to repress someone's sexuality, the more likely they are to develop dysfunctional sexuality. A much more "uptight" religion or society will tend to produce more molesters and extreme fetishists; a much more open and relaxed society will produce more normative citizens. Pile on the guilt, and they pile up the dysfunctions. Make sex a healthy, comfortable topic, and the adjustment is much easier.

I know that there will always be some aberrations, but I have to believe that a healthy upbringing produces healthy people.

If you teach someone that their hunger urges are "bad," that person is likely to have eating disorders. If you teach someone that their sexual urges are "bad," they are likely to have sexual disorders.

17. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

Very valid point, we see it time and time again. Tell a girl that their vagina's are secret places, and you have sexually repressed girls because they think that pleasure is bad...

I like your thinking DC.... I'm going to have to pick your brains on some topics when they come up.

18. Principessa

Gold Member

I agree with you DC_DEEP.

Though a strict religious upbringing can sometimes backfire in the opposite direction. My dad's family is mostly Baptist and Pentecostal; there are 3 generations of women that were reared very religiously and within 3 semesters dropped out because they were pregnant. Sometimes that prudish restrictive environment is an indicator of future wildness.:redface:

19. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Witness the organized cover up of pedophilia in the US Roman Catholic church that went on for decades with the knowledge of the senior higher ups who swept the problem under the rug for the sake of expediency.

Those same higher ups now half heartedly admit culpability and have the chutzpah to ask forgiveness from parishoners while simultaneously declaring bankruptcy to stifle lawsuits against the church.

It just doesn't get any better than that.

20. D_Herin_Ghan

D_Herin_Ghan Account Disabled

For the first time, I completely agree with everything you say. Repression in all its forms ends up messing with the human mind.

Draft saved Draft deleted