Can you drive a stick shift car?

mako shark

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Learned to drive a tractor first and they were all stickshift back then as well as the majority of the cars! BTW, real sports car aren't available with an automatic...

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
stick shift or column change
all good no sweat
driving tractors at maybe 7 yrs of age taught me
autos i think a necessity for city living
otherwise prefer the other.

column change where the selectors stuck constantly ha
like the ole tram drivers needing to put the whatevers back onto the power lines..hah

CrookedHalo

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I drive stick shift on the floor or column, no problems either way. I also drive manual shift tractors, and the like, all the way up to a Deere 9300 (not manual). I chase the combine with the grain hauler, and drive it to the elevator, too. No problems there either.

VernalTiger

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
There are different rules for different states in Australia. Some states will put ' auto only' on your licence if that's what you did your test in, but others won't specify. And parallel parking is a mandatory part of your test! Though I often wonder how many people with 10+ years of driving would pass the test today.

I overheard a girl at the hairdressers explain that her new car needed a gearbox replacement after only 7000km, because she still hadn't worked out how to drive manual...

TheBestYouCan

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Wait , Wallaby's and Kangaroos have stick-shifts??? HAR HAR HAR!

Seriously though, I've never found a need to drive a stick. I even worked at a dealership at one point (Porsche, Audi, VW, Mazda) and never ran across an occasion when I needed to drive a stick. Audi Race teams don't even use sticks anymore now that they have the paddle shifting system so perfected. What's the point?!

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I much prefer driving a manual transmission: it's more like real driving than an automatic.

The last car I bought was a Mini Cooper; at my then-partner's insistence it came with a semi-auto: yet another reason why that relationship was doomed; utterly doomed, I say.

Added: the Citroen Deux Cheveaux is an all-time iconic automobile, The world would be a vastly poorer place without them. They figure highly in my memoirs.

Viking_UK

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I remember those from my childhood. Didn't they disappear in the 1970s?

Not entirely. VW certainly used them in some of their vans and minibuses into the '90s. It took me a while to get the hang of it the first time I drove one, but no problem since then.

kenny233

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Both my vehicles have manual transmission. I think it is more efficient and enjoyable to drive.

I can drive either prefer a stick in winter driving better control. Besides a stick anyone still use a steering column shift?

I learned to drive a column shift - it's been years but I'll never forget it. Pull it back and then down for first, back and up for reverse, etc. I wonder if they all have the same pattern?

I have only ever driven manual (UK here) and I only know a couple of people with an auto...

I have alot of friends from Europe, and many of them had never driven an auto until they came to the US. I actually had to explain to some people how it worked. They thought you still needed to shift to neutral at a traffic light. It is funny how you get accustomed to one or the other - driving manual becomes habit and doesn't require any thought after a while.

Are those of us that can, a dying breed?

Only if I fall on my stick and it impales my heart.

Still driving one now and would drive no other, and I be slowly dying earl, like most of us are.

D_Kitten_Kaboodle

Account Disabled
Media
I learned to drive on a column (an old late 60's model Fairlane) - NO! I an NOT that old either... when my uncle died my dad got his car. He let us "practice" changing gears and I drove it a couple of times.

Then I progressed to a VW minivan stickshift..

I've had 2 stick shifts of my own and they are really fun to drive.

But for the everyday getting around, I prefer the automatic.

Tonka

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Everything in the garage and driveway is a standard shift and all past vehicles were standards if I had a choice in the matter.

Got a new truck last summer......the closest one with a manual trans was 1000 miles away. Had it shipped in.

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Yes, I can drive a standard shift - my dad wouldn't let me try for my license until I could shift properly.

I drive a manual now, but do prefer a standard. I feel I have more control over my vehicle with a standard, especially on winter roads. I would have bought a standard, but I had an injury that affected my left leg - couldn't use the clutch.

I do think it's a dying skill though, most of my friends can't drive a standard.

alx

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'd hate to have an automatic. Always had manuals. You want to be able to control the engine speed as you want.

StatusQuo

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
The VW GTI Rabbit was a nice fun ride... zip zip zip...

Yeah, I have a GTI and love it.

Six out of the seven cars I have owned in my life were stick. Only my first car was automatic and that was 24 years ago. I prefer stick to automatic. Ouside of being more fuel efficient and cheaper to purchase than an automatic, I feel like I have more control over the car and it's a lot more fun to drive. My current car is a stick (5 speed). I would like to buy a hybrid or electric car next time because I'm fed up with being held hostage at the gas pump. From what I have seen, they only come in automatic. I hope that's not the case. I don't expect to be in the market for a new car for at least another 3-5 years. My Toyota Corolla is 7 years old now and is so damn reliable! The body is still in great shape as well. It's been paid off for about 5 years now, and I just don't want car payments again until I absolutely have to. Hopefully by then all of the bugs will be worked out of the electric cars that are hitting the showrooms this year (Nissan Leaf, Chevy Volt, and Toyota RAV 4 that I know of). I learned a long time ago to never buy a car the first year it hits the market.

You may want to take a look at diesel. My sister has a Jetta TDI (stick) and she gets over 40 mpg easily. Highway I think she said she gets close to 60.