Can You Look Gay?

D

deleted3782

Findings from a recent study published in the Journal of Experimental Social Psychology suggest we all might underestimate our gaydar abilities based on facial appearance alone.

"The January 2008 study investigated people's ability to identify homosexual men from pictures of their faces alone. In an initial experiment, researchers Nicholas Rule and Nalini Ambady from Tufts University perused online dating sites and carefully selected 45 straight male faces and 45 gay male faces. All of these photos were matched for orientation (only faces shown looking forward were used) and facial alterations (none of the images contained jewelry, glasses or facial hair). To control for context, the faces were also cut and pasted onto a white background for the study. These 90 faces were then shown to 90 participants in random order, who were asked simply to judge the target's "probable sexual orientation" (gay or straight) by pressing a button. Surprisingly, all participants (both men and women) scored above chance on this gaydar task, correctly identifying the gay faces. Even more surprisingly, accuracy rate was just as good when the images were exposed at a rapid rate of only 50 milliseconds, which offered participants no opportunity to consciously process the photo."
The Urban Dictionary holds no punches when describing the attributes of a gay appearance:

"... gay face includes tightness around the mouth from pursing the lips, a facial expression common to gay men and women—but not to heterosexual men. Also, gay men are more emotionally expressive, leading to a general 'tightness' and muscular activation throughout the entire face. Gay face includes an eye expression that is both surprised-looking and predatory. Eyebrows are usually arched higher than that of straight men, and eyebrow hair is manicured. There is often a slightly tan and/or leathery look to the skin, especially among older gay men."
Read more here.

I'd be curious to see how these statistics transfer across ethnic and cultural lines. Can they be reproduced in Japan? India? Brazil? If not, then they are less likely physical attributes and more likely behavioral. If behavior and/or learned, it begs the question: why would gay men behave in a way that made them look gay?

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
sci_lis_harris_bust.jpg

A sever case of what I call "gay face"

LittleDicky

LPSG Legend
Media
I think there's something to it.

"Urban Dictionary" also has this entry for "Gay Eyes":

"A description for the extremely open, sparkly, slightly vacant eyes that some gay men possess.

Lance Bass, Chris Kattan as Corky Romano, and Mario Cantone are a few examples of men with gay eyes."

I've often noted this "look" on openly gay men, and when someone with this look "comes out," I'm never surprised.

(Kattan is supposedly straight, and I am not familiar with Romano. But, the other two? No surprise.)

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I think there's something to it.

"Urban Dictionary" also has this entry for "Gay Eyes":

"A description for the extremely open, sparkly, slightly vacant eyes that some gay men possess.

Lance Bass, Chris Kattan as Corky Romano, and Mario Cantone are a few examples of men with gay eyes."

I've often noted this "look" on openly gay men, and when someone with this look "comes out," I'm never surprised.

(Kattan is supposedly straight, and I am not familiar with Romano. But, the other two? No surprise.)

Romano is a character that Chris Kattan played.

nealin

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I've been out since Jr. high, but am never pegged as gay. After viewing some of the men on here I feel like I could have some of these characteristics. Do I look gay?
(pic in gallery)

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I've been out since Jr. high, but am never pegged as gay. After viewing some of the men on here I feel like I could have some of these characteristics. Do I look gay?
(pic in gallery)

No you don't! But that choice of paint color in your apartment tells another story! (jk)

D

deleted3782

Hmmm, so... Am I inbetween then? Does that mean my left side of my face has arched eyebrows, tanned skin and pursed lips? I must look like a weirdo then...

No...not weird lookin. You are very hawt. :biggrin1:

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
I certainly saw gay face in Japan, and I've seen it in any culture which is strongly influenced by Europe/America. But I've seen it less in guys from countries who's native culture is still relatively intact and the influence of "Gayness" as a phenomenon of European and American culture is less strong.

I've always wondered if I have gay face. I certainly have a very animated face...

B_coldnose

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I think the nazis had definitions of who face shape and size determined a persons intellengence. Gay face.......bullshit.

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
I think the nazis had definitions of who face shape and size determined a persons intellengence. Gay face.......bullshit.

The implication of "Gay Face" isn't that all gay men have a similar face type, it's merely an indication that this face type occurs at some sort of higher frequency among gay men, not in all gay men. That that "Gay Face" occurs among straight men, and indeed women of any sexuality is axiomatic also.

prince_will

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
http://mimg.ugo.com/200906/9864/guillermo_diaz1.jpg

Here's a tough guy actor who i never knew was gay until i read an article about him.

Anyways, i think someone can look 'gay', but that's more based upon a stereotype. But doesn't the idea of 'gaydar' feed on people looking gay?

cklover

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
A hugely funny thread! I think most of what creates 'gayface' is a person's inner thoughts and attitudes being reflected in his expressions. It's true with dykes too...some are stone-faced, dead-eyed machos, some are basic, everyday woman-faces. LOL, with some us gay folks you just can't tell!:rolleyes::confused::wink::biggrin1:...I'm so surprised the pc queens aren't hissing all over the place by now about this thread's topic...lmfao!