Can you masturbate someone else?

raquetball1980

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
The verb "masturbate" is generally defined as to stimulate one's own genitals, yet there seems to be some common usage of the verb to also describe manually stimulating another person's genitals. I always thought it was kind of a contradiction in terms to talk about masturbating someone else, but I'm curious now about the common usage. Shouldn't we say something like "manual stimulation" when talking about stimulating someone else?

brinzaulsschwul

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The verb "masturbate" is generally defined as to stimulate one's own genitals, yet there seems to be some common usage of the verb to also describe manually stimulating another person's genitals. I always thought it was kind of a contradiction in terms to talk about masturbating someone else, but I'm curious now about the common usage. Shouldn't we say something like "manual stimulation" when talking about stimulating someone else?

No it's not. See www.oxforddictionaries.com: masturbate - definition of masturbate in English from the Oxford dictionary

lapdog2001

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

brinzaulsschwul

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'll stick to the Oxford English Dictionary definitions because the Oxford is the definitive dictionary for the English language. As a matter of interest you can see the same definition in the Cambridge English Dictionary.

I can give myself a hand job, I don't need anyone else to do that for me. I can also give and receive a hand job.

ManchesterTom

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Masturbation is to stimulate the sexual organ to achieve pleasure and possibly orgasm, this is achieved without intercourse. Could be a hand or any other object which causes sexual arousal / pleasure / orgasm

sykray

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Languages and words evolve and the connotations shift faster than the denotations. I think most people would understand and use "masturbation" to describe the manual stimulation of another person, as well as oneself.
The rather archaic "manustrupation" (hand + debauch) may be a more exact word. "Masturbation" has an uncertain derivation beyond the Latin "masturbari". The latter part refers to disturb but it is not certain if the "ma" is a contraction of manu (hand) - if so, then the too words are more truly interchangeable. Let's not get pedantic - we know what we mean.

blakebrent

Expert Member
Media
I am not concerned with the verbiage or the definition of the word " is " is.
I masturbate , you masturbate , we all masturbate.
Call it what you want.

raquetball1980

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I just find it interesting linguistically; "masturbate" primarily brings to mind sexually stimulating one's self (a reflexive verb, "I masturbate" means "I masturbate myself") -a solitary activity. But at the same time it can also have the meaning of sexually stimulating someone else, yet not denoting sex, because the stimulus is generally manual. I guess you could, however, masturbate someone with your feet, other body parts, or some tool. So we end up with this somewhat strange definition of masturbation as sexually stimulating one's self (primarily), or another person, but only so long as the stimulation of another person is done manually, with a tool, or some other body part that is not the anus, mouth, vagina or other orifice. Perhaps the meaning of masturbation is more about the pleasure of one party as opposed to the pleasure of all parties involved -regardless of the number involved. Or put differently, the "one way direction" of pleasure; thus one can masturbate 2 people at once by manually stimulating them, but other sexually activities would be defined as group sex. (Congratulations to anyone who actually read the entire post)