Can you meet some one at a bar that could develop into a long term relationship?

rrkrd

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Personally I have met a few for a one night stand and only two that I dated for approx two months.

What has been your experience? Have you met someone at a bar that was relationship material?

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
For the most part I would say no. There is an old-ish saying that goes; "What you find in a bar, you loose in a bar." I would never say never but when I was going to bars I was not looking for a relationship that lasted any longer than a weekend. But hey you never know.

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I think I'm the only person I know who hasn't met a partner in a bar!

I prefer meeting people in coffeeshops after work. They're usually reading, a good sign, and it's not too loud to converse.

HiddenLacey

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I hate bars. I doubt that I would give any man I met in a bar a serious thought. I do not belong in a bar and I do not want to spend all of my free time hanging out in one with a partner. When I go it is because I am there supporting a friend, with a partner, or drug there forcefully by friends who think I NEED to experience barlife and live alitte. I am not trying to say that everyone thats in a bar wants to hang out there all of the time, but he would have to tell me otherwise for me to be interested.

That being said I have one friend who loves bars. She met her husband in a bar. They hang out in the bar every weekend together, they are both bar people.

Last edited by a moderator:

Incocknito

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Bars are not good. Internet is not really that good. Maybe I should start going to wherever submissivegirl goes :tongue:

DrStrangelove

Just Browsing
Media
I haven't and can't imagine I ever would, but that's only because the whole bar/club scene doesn't appeal to me. The few times I've gone to bars were when I was dragged along with friends. It's not a place I'd go to meet people for a relationship because it'd seem somewhat disingenuous to me since; if my sole purpose in going to a bar was to meet someone, then after I'd found someone and decided I liked them well enough to get involved with them I'd have to reason to desire to frequent those places anymore, whereas they might not have been looking to meet anyone but were there because they liked that environment, that lifestyle.

So, provided you're both at the bar because you enjoy drinking, playing pool or darts, watching sports, listening to the music, dancing or whatever, then there's absolutely a chance of it developing into something more, because you share that common interest. And that's how you should go about meeting people for dating/relationships: engage in activities or join groups where you're doing something you love, not necessarily looking for someone but letting love find you as a possible relationship develops out of shared interests or hobbies.

HiddenLacey

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
And you're far, far away! Thanks for the love though :smile:

I guess that bars have the same success rate as other places. Its not as if one place is any more or less likely to find you a boy/girlfriend...is it?

IDK I have always met my partners through a mutual friend. The only interest I have ever found in any type of bar is the dancing. I'm not quite sure where someone would look for a boyfriend/ girfriend. I do have a friend that dates guys off of the internet and another friend who meets guys in bars. Neither of them are in relantionships. Maybe that is why? They are both looking for permanacy. However I doubt I would really meet someone else if I wasn't with this partner, most of the things I like to do involve being alone places except for hiking. And I'm not to keen on meeting a strange guy in the woods!

Last edited by a moderator:

tchmango

Experimental Member
Media
met in a bar she was working in. Twenty years later we still have laughs about some of the crazy nights. Neither of us was looking for anyone. We met and it just stuck.

Incocknito

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
IDK I have always met my partners through a mutual friend. The only interest I have ever found in any type of bar is the dancing. I'm not quite sure where someone would look for a boyfriend/ girfriend.

I don't go to anywhere for dancing! That's the probably the one thing about "going out" that I hate. Especially crowded places.

I go to the pub just to play darts and pools but that's hardly a chick magnet since mostly guys play pool/darts :tongue:

Maybe I need to be on the lookout and more proactive instead of waiting for women to come over and talk to me.

HiddenLacey

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I don't go to anywhere for dancing! That's the probably the one thing about "going out" that I hate. Especially crowded places.

I go to the pub just to play darts and pools but that's hardly a chick magnet since mostly guys play pool/darts :tongue:

Maybe I need to be on the lookout and more proactive instead of waiting for women to come over and talk to me.

Well women are all different. I like darts and pool... but I REALLY suck at both. I also like to play airhockey. That stuff is fun, more like a pool hall than a bar to me. When I think of a bar I mostly think of going in and sitting around drinking and being surrounded in a cloud of digusting cigarette smoke.:rolleyes: That is why I do not frequent those establishments. Dancing with my girlfriends is the only thing I like about bar/ club places.

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Jeez, I just realized I told a lie! I have met guys I dated in a bar! I just wasn't thinking of it as a bar! That's funny...

Incocknito

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
There is a lot of confusion over pub and bar at least between the Americans and English I think.

To me a pub is a place that serves beer and has your standard darts and pool table.

A bar is basically a nightclub. Most bars won't have a dartboard. And IMO any place that doesn't have a dart board is not a proper but. That's how you tell the difference.

Also...do people still smoke in public places in America? :tongue:

Here smoking is banned in all enclosed public places. The air is a lot cleaner, especially in pubs.

HiddenLacey

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Smoking has been banned in some places in America. I think they just past it for my state this year. Ugh, people smoking in resturants and stuff is disgusting. Take it outside!!!!!!!

IDK I'm confused now as to what is actually a bar. I'm thinking of a place to drink.

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Let me guess, a pool hall, billards, etc? LOL, I haven't dated guys from those places but I've definitely flirted with my fair share. :tongue:

My neighborhood bar. Tiny hole in the wall place, never advertised, known only to the regulars. One of two bars I drank in when I turned 21, the other one being a local gay bar. I moved a few blocks from it and it was on my regular jogging route, just before I went past the museum and over the bridge going over the river, wave high at friends standing around outside and on the balcony, drop by at 11pm four nights a week to watch The Daily Show upstairs with friends, a fun regular ritual. I think of bars as places where you're surrounded by strangers. That place was like a friend's living room, so when I think "bar" I just don't twig on that as fitting the bill.

thebuck

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I think you can meet a good person anywhere. I never went to a bar looking for the person of my dreams but looking to go out and have a "good time". Good luck but don't ever give up.