Can you respect someone you don`t like?

dude_007

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I don't like Sarah Pain, or what she represents in American politics, but I respect that she is a woman with power and a huge flock.

I don't like a woman in a particular group I am part of but I show respect for her as another human being. Besides, the people who I (and you) do not like say more about me (you) then the person who evokes this emotion in me (you) so I (you) should always be respectful of others.

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
There's a woman who works with us professionally who I respect because she does a good job, but personally I dislike her and we've had passive aggressive conflicts in the past. I feel like we don't trust one another, but because of circumstances and the fact that we're each aware of how the other one feels, we both walk on eggshells around each other, which shows respect. I would replace her but I feel obligated to be loyal to her because of her dedication to her work, even though I hate the tension between us so much that I would have loved to have found a way to replace her for my own comfort, but I can't do that.

That's an example of not liking someone, but respecting them.

B_prettyswinggirl

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
There are many people in the industry I work in that I can say I respect, but I definitely don't like. I respect my father, but I will probably never like him. Think hard ass retired army officer who is way too tough on those around him...never bending an inch or even trying to get to know his grandchildren. Hmmm, maybe I don't really respect him afterall...

My answer is still yes, I can respect someone without liking them.

The Dragon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
If it's reached the point where I don't like someone anymore then my respect for them dies.
Hell...they can go play in traffic or walk out in a electrical storm with an aluminium golf club for all I care.

august86

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Absolutely.

Liking or disliking someone could be because of certain subjective personality clashes, but if you can see beyond that subjectivity, if there's anything to see, then some people might actually have respectable characteristics, which implies objectivity.

Sometimes we have to be mature enough to be objective... that being said, I dislike most people, some for valid reasons, but if there's something to respect then I shall.

luka82

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The reason I've asked this is because I know a guy and, ugh, we can`t even say hello to each other without making that face ' Not you, again'! But we are in the same circles, we have a lot of the same friends. I don`t like him, he doesn`t like me ever since we have met. We have had a lot of heated arguements in the past, both trying to make the other one look stupid. His views are just too radical for my taste. But he has a really serious medical condition, and he has been fighting it for a very long time, he is a SURVIVOR, he is strong, and I respect that.

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
^ I totally get that. There are some people I respect, but I won't shed a tear when they're gone. There can be elements that I respect, but have zero affection for that person. I frequently respect work ethic, and have no regard for the person.

wallaboi

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
^ I totally get that. There are some people I respect, but I won't shed a tear when they're gone. There can be elements that I respect, but have zero affection for that person. I frequently respect work ethic, and have no regard for the person.

Yes, just because I don't like someone, doesn't mean that I can't respect particular characteristics that person may have...creative talent, intellect, sporting ability.

Also, even if I don't like someone doesn't necessarily mean that I dislike them.

Kotchanski

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I can respect someone I'm indifferent towards, but if my opinion of them as a person gets to the point where I actually dislike them then I find it impossible to have any respect for them. If I could find something respect worthy, I'd not dislike them, I'd be indifferent.