Can you respect someone you don`t like?

Hoss

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Also, even if I don't like someone doesn't necessarily mean that I dislike them.
Huh?

Back to Luka's question my answer is yes.

Examples

I can't abide a few in the medical community, they're bedside manner sucks they are however very well informed medically and can treat & heal their patients so I respect them but don't like them.

When I was in school (Public Cave 34) there were teachers that were diffiicult & gave very hard assignments, I detested them but when I had completed my work I was able to respect ther ability to teach me new things.

My neighbor is an arrogant clown yet he has raised very well mannered children and has kept 3 sex offenders out of the area and I respect the way he maintains his garden, I dislike him but have respect.

There are several more that I respect for many reasons but I don't like them.

B_stanmarsh14

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Yes.

Perfect EG is from my FME forums, one of the ex layout creators.

Whilst he is fantastically skilled at game mock up's and associated stuff, he is a massive attention seeker, and has gotten some fellow members in trouble with their employers.

Unfortunately, his mannerisms got that bad, it over shadowed his good work, he was eventually forced to leave FME for his own good.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It is impossible for me to like someone that I don't respect. However as has been said in the thread I can respect someone that I don't like or am indifferent toward. In most professional realms I'm not interested in being friends, I'm interested in the job at hand and care more for others professionalism and capacity to do what they are being paid to do.

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I respect people I don't like for the one or two good qualities they may have. Also there are people I instinctively like for absolutely no good reason, which is always suspicious.

The reason respect and like are two different words is because they can be combined, but quite often they are not. Some people only like others that they feel superior to, or are not afraid of. Some people only like those they can admire from below, or who scare them somehow. We are such complicated beings.

D_Relentless Original

Cherished Member
Media
It is impossible for me to like someone that I don't respect. However as has been said in the thread I can respect someone that I don't like or am indifferent toward. In most professional realms I'm not interested in being friends, I'm interested in the job at hand and care more for others professionalism and capacity to do what they are being paid to do.

QFT, exactly my opinion too.

D

deleted15807

Absolutely. They can be masters at their profession and have zero people skills.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
When I was in my early 20s I worked for a terrible, horrible man: a sexist, racist homophobic bully with a big mouth. At one point he provoked me so badly that I responded to one of his brain farts with a sarcastic remark that made him very angry, saying "If you can't respect the man, respect his position".

As someone with a life-long contempt for unfair or arbitrary exercises in authority, I think that taking what he said to heart really helped me grow up. I can think of countless people (bosses, landlords, etc) whom I have disliked but whose position I respected.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
^ Exactly.

"Like and "respect" and commodities we all might aspire to, but certain environments/situations/settings sometimes make it difficult to have both.

Put yourself on the receiving end. If the situation were such that you could only get one or the other: "like" or "respect" - which would you rather receive?

I'd prefer the latter. :cool:

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
My dear Helgs, I think we are quite SIMPLE, yet we are very capable of making things complicated!
Shouldn`t love be the least complicated thing in the world?
(totally off topic, sorry)
Luka, it's your thread so you can steer the topic all you like, you cuddly thing!

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
An addendum to what I previously wrote. If you are good enough friends with someone you can tell them that you disrespect something that they have said or done but if you are really friends it does not change the friendship; as real friends can tell each other what an acquaintance or someone who really does not care will not.

D

deleted3782

I can respect almost anyone unless they are evil. I just limit my exposure to those I don't like.

ManofThunder

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yes, you can. I respect a lot of people for a lot of different things even if I don't like them. An example which springs to mind is Muhammad Ali. I don't hate him by any means but when I watch old interviews he always comes across as very arrogant - yet at the same time I can see that his heart is in the right place, so I respect him for that. I also respect him for his sporting ability even though I'm not a fan.

luka82

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
An addendum to what I previously wrote. If you are good enough friends with someone you can tell them that you disrespect something that they have said or done but if you are really friends it does not change the friendship; as real friends can tell each other what an acquaintance or someone who really does not care will not.
Well, I agree there NY. I have a very open relationship with my friends, they are allowed to tell me what they think I have done wrong, I only ask it to be done when we are alone or with other friends. I think I`m allowed to do the same. But friends are friends, they wouldn`t be your friends if you didn`t respect them. And talking about friends, I think I have been really blessed with them.
You can hate your boss or superior; but still show him / her the proper respect that their position holds.
But that`s not the same, Ron. A position is not a characteristic, it`s not part of your personality. Sometimes, unfortunately, it can shape your personality for the worse.
Oh, I wish you were my boss, I want to call you-SIR! :biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1: