Can you see the Stars?

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
Tonight I have the most amazing view of the night sky and a billion billion stars.

Many times I am in places where I cannot experience this and I feel the less for it.

How about you?

It's lovely - can't at the moment, but if I drive down the valley I can. ;)

Got a nice view of the moon on the sea tho. :D

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Funny you should bring this up as we were just talking to pals about it last night. So many clear nights are marred by light pollution.

We've decided to take a drive to the Teide National Park one night soon to be above the cloud cover and many miles from any lights. We've done it before and the star gazing is unsurpassed. :smile:

D

deleted3782

I'm close to Hick, and he is right...its too hazy here in the southeastern US to see many stars. We also have a great deal of urban sprawl...with lots of light pollution. Stargazing sucks here.

The most amazing night sky I have ever seen was outside Braidwood, NSW in Australia. I was shocked by the number of stars that you can see when the air is dry and light is low.

Cougar

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I normally live where there is no light pollution, where I can leave my keys in my ignition and my house unlocked. Not being able to see the stars or the milkyway would be sad.

Mastur

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Yes, it's clear tonight, but this is a seacoast town and it's perpetually hazy here. It's lovely to go out to the beach and see the sky meet the horizon out on the Atlantic. But on a mountain above 2000 metres is the best place I've ever stargazed.

Oh, my word! Who are you and what have you done with Hickboy...?

Viking_UK

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Clear skies last night so could see plenty of stars, but it was too cold to stay out for long. That was definitely one thing I missed when I lived in London.

Up at home, the only light pollution comes from the occasional aurora. That's a sight worth seeing.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Without a doubt this is the lowest light pollution area I have ever lived in - it is rare not to be able to clearly see the milky way, something I rarely saw from Dublin. In fact only a bright full moon renders it invisible. Oh, and clouds of course :smile:

The absolute best place I have ever been for star gazing though was the Sahara desert. I had no idea there were so many stars visible from Earth. It seemed there were more stars than sky. Breathtaking.

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
The absolute best place I have ever been for star gazing though was the Sahara desert. I had no idea there were so many stars visible from Earth. It seemed there were more stars than sky. Breathtaking.

Definitely; I can add the plains of the Masai Mara, and then generally being at sea. I have this urge now to sail around Polynesia, Melanesia etc etc, maybe end up in Hawaii :smile:

I' d love to go to the Sahara...and other deserted places... :frown1:

Plus the Masai Mara and Africa in general. :)

witch

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Living in a big city what with the light pollution, I’m lucky to see the moon, but I went camping in our mountains and ‘really’ saw the Milky Way for the first time .... it was so magical that I cried :redface: