Can you survive 75?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_Hickboy, Feb 7, 2012.

1. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

2. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

I did. It was wonderful. Those were the days. She speaks the truth. She is also very funny. Thank you for that.

3. molotovmuffin

Gold Member

I was 15 in 75. The biggest inconvenience ever was have to go to the library to make fucking copies. And let us not forget that you always had to change on hand to use the fucking pay phone.

4. D_Dick_S_Lapp

D_Dick_S_Lapp Account Disabled

I would like to think i could but know theres no way lol.

5. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

I like the present. For me, it is full of love, romance, family, prospects of a lovely future, and wonderful toys.

#5 B_Hickboy, Feb 8, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  6. Hoss

Gold Member

Albums:
    It was a good year I turned 25 that year and was in marriage 2 or 3 or maybe it was still the first:confused: I was drinking alot so I don't remember most of it. Television was better back then you could just plug it into the wall and a grainy picture would come in even if you didn't have an antenna and watching it was free except for the electric which was much much cheaper.

7. D_JohnQPubic

D_JohnQPubic New Member

Funny routine! I like it but there are some innacuracies. These was cable TV. Not many channels but it was a far better signal that the antenna on the roof or the rabbit ears on the set. There certainly WERE drive ins. And the waitresses came to YOU in your car!

But the best thing about 1975? It's the year I first got laid. I can still remember how it felt, how tight she was, how she said "I feel so full!", (she was not a virgin), and how fast I came. Luckily, stamina improves with practice and age!

I loved 1975! But I like it better now. Technology is great and how else would we all be here sharing our love of LPs? And I don't mean 33 RPM.

8. molotovmuffin

Gold Member

Psst...she said "drive threws" but there were those as well...just not as many and mostly micky d's. Drive Inn's had been all the rage since like in the early 50's if not earlier than that. Cable was a luxury that most couldn't afford and only if you lived in the big city. Rural peeps were just shit out of luck on many, many things.

9. D_JohnQPubic

D_JohnQPubic New Member

Good points. And I love how you spelled it "threw" to capture her wonderful accent.

I just thought of another interesting fact about 1975 - we hadn't landed on the moon in three years!

10. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

Don't start! :biggrin:

11. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    To be put into a world without cell phones, home computers, CDs, DVDs, ATMs, digital cameras, and so on, would certainly cause me some disruption, but I think that I could adapt to it, as I was an adult in a world without those things. The one thing to which I do not think that I could adapt would be the quality of the coffee available in the US at that time. There's no way that I could ever drink Folger's or the like. I would just have to give up coffee and go back to drinking tea--though even for good tea I remember we used to have to make trips to Canada.

12. spoon

Gold Member

Albums:

I graduated from high school in 1974. Watched Nixon on on a portable t.v. in history class--the famous: "I am not a crook" speech. He resigned in Aug. 1974.

So, yes I would survive 1975. I've done it once. No cell phone-no problem. I turn my phone down allot. Nobody needs to get hold of me 24/7.

13. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

Amen.

14. hud01

Gold Member

Believe it or not some of the earliest cable TV was in rural areas. They put a huge antenna on a mountain and piped it into the surrounding areas.

15. hud01

Gold Member

Where did you live? There have been several great tea shops in NYC since the 20's. There are also several great coffee shops in the west village, but I don't know if they were there in the 70's, but I think they might have been.

16. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    Well, not everybody can live in New York City, poor saps that we are. I grew up in Seattle. For good bulk tea we had to go to Murchie's in Vancouver, BC.

17. molotovmuffin

Gold Member

I take it you're not from the midwest. :wink:

Isn't that about the time the vhs came out? I still had a stereo system that played LP's and a fancy smancy real to real too!

As I recall, there was a pay phone on every corner and you could actually call someone, hear them talk and then have to put your quarter in. But then, I remember when pay phones were a dime too.

Anyway, one thing from way back then that you kids of today would know how to use is the type writer, although you may not know how to send it using the USPS. :cool:

18. aninnymouse

Gold Member

I thought Seattle was Coffee Town, USA? Me, I grew up on Hills Bros, So all the Starschmucks and what have you is no biggie to me.

I'd love to try the whole 1975 thing. Be a bit of a culture shock, but I definitely think we depend too much on technology nowadays.

/Born in 1976, still remember the old school phones with the bell ringer, the cable tv "Remote" that had only 37 channels, each with an individual button, connected to the box with a wire. Also remember the old Atari 2600, and the great games like Space Invaders, Pitfall, and Pac Man.

19. AquaEyes11010

AquaEyes11010 Active Member

Albums:
    Yeah, yeah, yeah -- you are all so tough. Now try surviving 75 CE.

Who's crying now?

hehehe

:p

20. hairyversmuscle

hairyversmuscle Well-Known Member

Albums:
    Half the people today couldn't survive 95!

Draft saved Draft deleted