Can you tell someone is gay?

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
But there's the double standard: Star Trek is sarcosanct, even if Chakotay's obviously a stereotype. It is funny when he gives Janeway and Torres the writers' flawed image of a male puberty ceremony. First things first, I had no idea Kathryn and B'Elana were eleven-year-old boys. Secondly, no drugs, just fasting. Third, not all the visions involve animals, and they really relate to finding one's place in the community.

Of course, the name Chakotay sounds Turkish, so it probably makes sense that he's clueless about such things.

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Originally posted by jeepwranglerboi@Feb 9 2005, 05:23 PM
This is ridiculous! Saying that you can look at someone and tell if they are gay or straight is like looking at someone and guessing their ethnicity, or what city they are from, or if they are an only child, etc. It's all a stereotype. Get over the stereotypes and evolve a little. Not that we don't all do it a little, I'll be the first to admit that I do but let's get real people. Golly! :wacko:
[post=281538]Quoted post[/post]​
I was getting concerned readng this posts. Jeep came to the rescue. Off course all of this mannerisms, looking at the picture and can tell is complete and total bunk.

What you can tell sometimes if a person is attracted to another person. Sure if a gay guy comes in and is totally attracted to this other guy, an observant person can tell. This is especially true if the gay guy is putting out "invitations" to the other guy that he is interested. It is the same as with boy/girl relatiionsips. But this is the only way you can tell if a guy is gay is to see him interacting with another guy and coming on to him either through actions or words. Deliberate or uncontrolled vibes being given off.

It is possible for a gay person to be attracted to a person of same gender and hide it to the point that no one ever knows or suspects, the same as is done all the time in the straight world. Granted, it may take some action on the part of the gay person to hide it. But it can be hidden.

woskxn

Experimental Member
Media
and incase some of you misunderstood..I am asking, not saying I think this.

As I said, sometimes you can tell, but of course we cant be that shallow to think that most gay people act a certain way just as we wouldn't assume straight people acting a certain way. Having said that, I feel I have good gaydar and always notice something (usually the looks some guys give me..that straight guys would not I dont think)

believe me I would not be making fun of gays, I am one myself.

Pene_Negro_Grande

Experimental Member
Media
Great examples of this would be the current Real World on MTV...There are 2 gay guys - 1 no one had any idea he was gay...The other - come on you definitely could tell from his first introduction...But like I said people are people - who cares if it doesn't interfere w/you...

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Oh, I forgot to add, in my experience, if they wear anything by International Male, my gaydar goes off.

dcwrestlefan

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
my gaydar sucks. ;-) and i jam other gaydars, cuz i drive a pickup trick, and prefer wearing a baseball cap, flannel and faded jeans over something trendy looking. i can't cook. my apartment is not tastefully decorated. i feel cheated to be gay and not have the cool traits that go along with it. haha.

"queer eye for the gay guy" needs to pay a visit here.

D_Barbi_Queue

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Some people I can look at and it's obvious....those are usually the people that chose to make it obvious.

Others I have to talk to or "know" for a while. I had one guy pegged years before he admitted it to himself. He's a really good friend of mine that I've known all my life. When my husband first met him 8 1/2 yrs ago, he said right off that bat that he thought my friend was gay.

My friend is 34 and had his first experience at 30. He "came out of the closet" to me late last year. My first words to him were "It's about damn time" - which shocked him a bit....I think.

I've even told him about this site and hopes that he hops on some day. He's embracing his new found life very well, but living in south Texas around a bunch of "rednecks" (and I can say that b/c I'm describing myself too ^_^ ) doesn't give him much opportunity to talk freely about it among larger groups of people like him. He still has yet to tell his parents.

Pene_Negro_Grande

Experimental Member
Media
Yeah - living where I live - I have definitely seen gay rednecks - in fact I have been hit on by a couple (LOL) - which is funny to me...Also seen a large group of gay bikers hanging out w/a bunch of straight bikers in all there leather, harleys and tattoos - I thought that was pretty interesting and something that I have not seen before...

dcwrestlefan

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
being a "gay redneck" is fine if it does not mean they are racist. where i grew up, that was the definining trait of one. and being drunk, loud and sloppy 3/4 of the time.

jeff foxworthy's comedy stuff is coming to mind.

1) if you have an entire set of salad bowls that say "cool whip" on the side, you might be a redneck.

2) if you don't have to take the marlboro out of your mouth to tell the state trooper to kiss your ass, you might be a redneck.

3) if you have ever cracked a beer open at a eulogy, you might be a redneck.

4) if you've ever gone to a family reunion to look for a date, you might be a redneck.

----------------------------------------------

what has 40 legs and 40 teeth? the front row of the movie theatre in nacogdoches texas.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Usually redneck means rural members of the proletariat. Unfortunately, the last couple elections have shown they're more "prole" than "proletariat".

RunnerSF: I've found my gaydar is pretty good. However, like most people here, I've been surprised on both sides - some I thought were gay weren't; some I thought were straight, weren't, etc. These days it is indeed getting harder as more men/women are comfortable with their sexuality and don't feel a need to conform to stereotypes. Viva La Difference...

hungthick

Experimental Member
Media
in my experience like someone said it is in the eyes. a str8 man has eyes that are tougher and more serious whereas a gay man has eyes that are softer and more vulnerable--check it out.

also, someone said you can tell if a guy stares just a bit longer than a person that isnt interested in the same sex should....i agree. for the most part if a dude stares at a guy longer than a few seconds he is suspect. now my grandma used to say, 'how do u know that the guy isnt wondering why you are staring at him.' she was right.

a woman can pick out a lesbian easier than i.
i can pick out a gay man easier than a woman.

my 2cents. (i have been fooled before--and many wonder about me, so go figure).

zzorus

Just Browsing
Media
I had a nice experience the other day. I was at a scenic lookout above a beach.There was another level below where I was standing. There were amongst the other people a male couple in their 20's, who looked very straight butch surfer types to me. I did not pay much attention, then I noticed that one was taking photos of the waves ( as I was doing). The other guy put his arm around the photographer's waist, and started caressing him in an affectionate way.
I thought that this lack of inhibition was just so good to witness.

Royal_T

Just Browsing
Media
I think it totally depends on whether the person wants general people to know. If theyre realyl cautious, then it depends on how good they are at concealing it. Some people can hide just about anything. Most people on the street would be suprised at just how many things people hide every day:

Alcoholism, clinical depression and/or anxiety, bi/homosexuality, etc.

If someone has good instincts about these things, I guess its basically comes down to an 'arms race' between the hider and the perciever. ;)