Can You Trust Someone Who Doesn’t Like Music?

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I used to feel that way about country and then I got into Pasty Cline, Johnny Cash (check out his version of NIN's "Hurt"), always loved KD Lang, then it just kinda went from there.

You’re speaking my language, dude.

Squirrel1

Worshipped Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I used to feel that way about country and then I got into Pasty Cline, Johnny Cash (check out his version of NIN's "Hurt"), always loved KD Lang, then it just kinda went from there.

Cash's version of Hurt is enough to take your breath away.

lms28

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I like Busker music. It's a combo of folk, blue grass a some ragtime. It's my current favorite genre. But I like everything from Jacques Brel to Ministry

Would G. Love & Special Sauce fit in the Busker genre to you? When they debuted, they referred to their style as “Rag Mop”, a term I always loved.

Reactions: Nexolaris

Squirrel1

Worshipped Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I don't know what it is, but I can't do country. Actually I know exactly what it is. Just the general sound, it makes me grind my teeth.

I support what country originally stood for and I respect the genre, I just can't stand listening to it. Even the old shit, my man loves Johnny Cash, but I can't get into it. That song you posted is one of my dad's favorites... But I just get it stuck in my head and I just can't stand it.

A lot of people feel the same way about my taste in music though, I like Horror-Core and Death Metal. Lots of folks I know find everything I enjoy to be complete trash music, but I fucking love it.

To each their own.
I'm not a super big fan of country...some if it I do like. What surprised me, though, is that my 20ish sons told me some of their friends listen to it.
What I can't do is rap and hip hop. Does nothing for me.

Nudistpig

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Cash's version of Hurt is enough to take your breath away.

I bawled like a baby the first time I heard it/saw the video. June Carter Cash had just died, my own father was deeply ill and Cash was his go to singer. Trent Reznor apparently said he would never sing the song again when he heard this version.

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I bawled like a baby the first time I heard it/saw the video. June Carter Cash had just died, my own father was deeply ill and Cash was his go to singer. Trent Reznor apparently said he would never sing the song again when he heard this version.
Me, too. Cash reminds me of my dad. And our relationship was so complicated. I had goosebumps, then I just sat and cried as I played the video over and over again.

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I hired a kid once who didn't like music. I say kid, he was maybe 22. But he swore he didn't like music.

I asked if he listened to metal or punk. No. Rap? Nuh uh. So nothing? Talk radio. Uh oh.

I told him my husband was a musician. He asked "so what does he do for a living?"

Some of the staff complained about him. They said he was just weird. OK, everyone is weird in some way, but he truly was weird like staring at people or standing stock still waiting to be told to do something.

I had assumed he might be on the autism spectrum, and he may well have been, but he wasn't typical of anything at all. He could hold a conversation quite well, and he would hug me back. We're big huggers here. He was one of two men working in the office. He would sometimes join in on discussions, but rarely voiced his preference on a topic.

I always have music playing in my office, but I used to turn it way down when he came in. He wouldn't talk if it was on. According to him he thought I was listening to the music and not him, so he wouldn't talk.

Finally, I asked him if he was happy working here. He said not really. So I told him that he was free to leave if he wanted to. And he did. And I never saw him since.

Did I ever trust him? I cannot say that I ever did.

englad

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
No, I couldn't trust someone who doesn't like any music.

Music is what got me through school, it can take me off into my own little world, one which I enjoy. I love having it play in the background, it connects memories. I can't imagine never listening to it, where's the emotional connection to any art if you can't like music? It seems really odd to me.

I'm completely fine with someone having a very different taste in music, but no music at all. Nope, that's too strange for me.

Nudistpig

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I hired a kid once who didn't like music. I say kid, he was maybe 22. But he swore he didn't like music.

I asked if he listened to metal or punk. No. Rap? Nuh uh. So nothing? Talk radio. Uh oh.

I told him my husband was a musician. He asked "so what does he do for a living?"

Some of the staff complained about him. They said he was just weird. OK, everyone is weird in some way, but he truly was weird like staring at people or standing stock still waiting to be told to do something.

I had assumed he might be on the autism spectrum, and he may well have been, but he wasn't typical of anything at all. He could hold a conversation quite well, and he would hug me back. We're big huggers here. He was one of two men working in the office. He would sometimes join in on discussions, but rarely voiced his preference on a topic.

I always have music playing in my office, but I used to turn it way down when he came in. He wouldn't talk if it was on. According to him he thought I was listening to the music and not him, so he wouldn't talk.

Finally, I asked him if he was happy working here. He said not really. So I told him that he was free to leave if he wanted to. And he did. And I never saw him since.

Did I ever trust him? I cannot say that I ever did.

Quick little note. ASD here, recent diagnosis, but life with it as a kid was pretty hellish. I loved music. It was a huge part of my life. For people on the spectrum who don't, it's nothing to do with music. It's sound period. The sensory intensity of much sound is overwhelming for some ASD folx (nausea, panic, existential dread, dizziness). It could be a pipe organ, tympani, or the garbage truck dropping a dumpster, it has nothing to do with music. Sounds.

We deal with a lot of issues in this community, one is diagnosis from non-ASD folx whether we have it or not, and the other is no diagnosis or support from professionals. It's helpful not to make that assumption about someone (no prejudice, I don't know what you do as a job), and especially not related to trust. We are no more or less trustworthy than anyone else, and just as diverse. I was called weird, stupid, ugly and a whole host of other things as a "kid".

We perceive the world differently. No one was there to tell me the things I saw in the room with me when some music played were real for me (synaesthesia), just to tell me they were not. So I shut up about it, and learned to repress what is in fact a gift. The ability to see sound is a gift, although not everyone experiences it that way, and it's not that for everyone. Textures (like polyester) set me on edge, still do, always have, although not like they used to.

I want to stress that I'm not upset with you (and I hope you don't take offense as we don't know each other here very well), just wanted to share my perspective on this issue, as it's important.

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Quick little note. ASD here, recent diagnosis, but life with it as a kid was pretty hellish. I loved music. It was a huge part of my life. For people on the spectrum who don't, it's nothing to do with music. It's sound period. The sensory intensity of much sound is overwhelming for some ASD folx (nausea, panic, existential dread, dizziness). It could be a pipe organ, tympani, or the garbage truck dropping a dumpster, it has nothing to do with music. Sounds.

We deal with a lot of issues in this community, one is diagnosis from non-ASD folx whether we have it or not, and the other is no diagnosis or support from professionals. It's helpful not to make that assumption about someone (no prejudice, I don't know what you do as a job), and especially not related to trust. We are no more or less trustworthy than anyone else, and just as diverse. I was called weird, stupid, ugly and a whole host of other things as a "kid".

We perceive the world differently. No one was there to tell me the things I saw in the room with me when some music played were real for me (synaesthesia), just to tell me they were not. So I shut up about it, and learned to repress what is in fact a gift. The ability to see sound is a gift, although not everyone experiences it that way, and it's not that for everyone. Textures (like polyester) set me on edge, still do, always have, although not like they used to.

I want to stress that I'm not upset with you (and I hope you don't take offense as we don't know each other here very well), just wanted to share my perspective on this issue, as it's important.

First, I want to thank you for that information. I did not mean to denigrate a syndrome or illness. I simply could not place this young man, but I did not want to try too hard. I wanted what was best for him.

And as just an FYI, the not liking music thing was minor. There were a few other episodes involving him, which kept some of the staff on edge. I would never attempt to "straighten" him out or even counsel him on how he should conduct himself outside of work. But there are expectations in an office and warehouse environment that must be met. Unfortunately, he was not able to meet the minimum.

Not trusting him for not liking music? That would make me very superficial.

Nudistpig

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I posted that more for the folks who are reading, I get the sense that you're not that way from reading your posts, and that's why I responded the way I did. Also, for the record, normally when women speak about males and trust and gut feelings, I am 100% on board with it because overwhelmingly, they are right.

twoton

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I’ve never been more than ambivalent about country. Just not my culture, not my people.

But I like pretty nearly everything else. Except contemporary Christian. Country music and contemporary Christian are the two I just can’t get interested in.

Reactions: Nexolaris