Can You Trust Someone Who Doesn’t Like Music?

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I hired a kid once who didn't like music. I say kid, he was maybe 22. But he swore he didn't like music.

I asked if he listened to metal or punk. No. Rap? Nuh uh. So nothing? Talk radio. Uh oh.

I told him my husband was a musician. He asked "so what does he do for a living?"

Some of the staff complained about him. They said he was just weird. OK, everyone is weird in some way, but he truly was weird like staring at people or standing stock still waiting to be told to do something.

I had assumed he might be on the autism spectrum, and he may well have been, but he wasn't typical of anything at all. He could hold a conversation quite well, and he would hug me back. We're big huggers here. He was one of two men working in the office. He would sometimes join in on discussions, but rarely voiced his preference on a topic.

I always have music playing in my office, but I used to turn it way down when he came in. He wouldn't talk if it was on. According to him he thought I was listening to the music and not him, so he wouldn't talk.

Finally, I asked him if he was happy working here. He said not really. So I told him that he was free to leave if he wanted to. And he did. And I never saw him since.

Did I ever trust him? I cannot say that I ever did.
Its weird, right? Talk radio. Well, that ain’t music. I mean, I listen to podcasts, but....

Music expresses how I feel, transports me, changes my mood, I cannot imagine not loving music. I hold super concerts in my car all the time!

Nudistpig

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Its weird, right? Talk radio. Well, that ain’t music. I mean, I listen to podcasts, but....

Music expresses how I feel, transports me, changes my mood, I cannot imagine not loving music. I hold super concerts in my car all the time!

When I drive it's not far off "Wayne's World".

Enid

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Who the fuck doesn't like music?! I'm sorry, can't get on board with that. I also can't get on board with people who say stuff like "I like everything except rap and country." OR people who don't like instrumental music or world music that is in languages they don't understand.

I can understand not wanting (or being used to) music in the car while driving, because I spent the last 9 years or so with an old car without a working stereo. Now I have a new used car and it has a working radio. I pretty much never turn it on. I'm almost always in the car by myself, and I'd rather just talk to myself like I'm used to than have music playing in the background. It kinda stresses me out. Weird but I guess it's what I'm used to now.

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Who the fuck doesn't like music?! I'm sorry, can't get on board with that. I also can't get on board with people who say stuff like "I like everything except rap and country." OR people who don't like instrumental music or world music that is in languages they don't understand.

I can understand not wanting (or being used to) music in the car while driving, because I spent the last 9 years or so with an old car without a working stereo. Now I have a new used car and it has a working radio. I pretty much never turn it on. I'm almost always in the car by myself, and I'd rather just talk to myself like I'm used to than have music playing in the background. It kinda stresses me out. Weird but I guess it's what I'm used to now.
I’m with you there. Good music is good music whether it’s country, rap, instrumental, in another language or whatever. I like what I like. But I do drive with the radio or my iPod on at full volume. I just have to sing!

Enid

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I’m with you there. Good music is good music whether it’s country, rap, instrumental, in another language or whatever. I like what I like. But I do drive with the radio or my iPod on at full volume. I just have to sing!

I used to be like that. I guess after nearly a decade without, I've developed anxiety if music is playing while *I* drive. But bring it on when I'm a passenger in my sister's car (LOVE satellite radio) or my bestie's car (Van Morrison all the way, baby)!

I'll never understand it when people act shocked I love world music just because some of it is not in English and that's my native tongue. Uhh hello. Good music is good music, people. I had someone saying something to me yesterday about it because I was listening to Cafe Tacuba and I'm not Hispanic and they are. They were giving me grief and saying I can't possibly thoroughly appreciate the music when I don't speak Spanish. Seriously?

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Jesus Christ Superstar is my favourite musical. Although I’m a bit iffy on the John Legend version. Hair is legendary, the music is great. Rent, Wicked, Sweeney Todd, My Fair Lady...

Life is a musical. I have a soundtrack for my life!

Jablackanese

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
Pansexual
i can trust ppl who don't like music, but I've found that they are often just too dry/basic/conventional for me to ever really have a lot of fun with or enjoy being around.

usually when someone says they don't like music, they have a kind of shallow/underdeveloped personality. also, there's a diff between ppl who don't like music at all and ppl who prefer/demand peace and quiet, if that makes sense?

Reactions: Nexolaris