Canada approves same-sex marriage

Dr Rock

Experimental Member
Media
who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
Sexuality
Unsure
Originally posted by madame_zora@Jun 30 2005, 08:35 AM
Yeah, and that's gotta be true, I think ours is probably the worst in the "civilised" world.
[post=325306]Quoted post[/post]​
nope, the UK definitely wins that prize hands down.

as far as the gay marriage thing goes, don't get too excited. the conservatives have already promised to repeal it the next time they're elected. the only way anyone is gonna get any meaningful "rights" at all is if we slaughter every last motherfucking politician on the planet.

woskxn

Experimental Member
Media
the only way they can turn it back is by using the not-withstanding clause. Which means they would have to go against the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms and the constitution.
Our prime-minister mentioned that yesterday and said that he is comfortable facing anybody in the next election if someone is ready to do that.
The conservatives basically gurantee themself a election loss if they did that..people hate the notion of a govt. clearly stomping on people's rights.

Dr Rock

Experimental Member
Media
who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
Sexuality
Unsure
Originally posted by woskxn@Jun 30 2005, 12:57 PM
the only way they can turn it back is by using the not-withstanding clause. Which means they would have to go against the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms and the constitution.
Our prime-minister mentioned that yesterday and said that he is comfortable facing anybody in the next election if someone is ready to do that.
oh, okay. I don't really know much about the system of government there, no big deal either way.

people hate the notion of a govt. clearly stomping on people's rights.
[post=325333]Quoted post[/post]​
funny, they seem to be loving it in every OTHER country in the world :eyes:

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
In terms of health care, the U.S. is in the same tier as South Africa. The U.S. does spend the most money, though. (Drug companies don't charge as much in Europe or Canada as they do in the U.S. Oh, those poor starving Swedes can't afford health care. LOL)

Alberta's already threatened the notwithstanding clause. For any non-Canadians here, Section 33 of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms reads:

(1) Parliament or the legislature of a province may expressly declare in an Act of Parliament or of the legislature, as the case may be, that the Act or a provision thereof shall operate notwithstanding a provision included in section 2 or sections 7 to 15.
(2) An Act or a provision of an Act in respect of which a declaration made under this section is in effect shall have such operation as it would have but for the provision of this Charter referred to in the declaration.
(3) A declaration made under subsection (1) shall cease to have effect five years after it comes into force or on such earlier date as may be specified in the declaration.
(4) Parliament or the legislature of a province may re-enact a declaration made under subsection (1).
(5) Subsection (3) applies in respect of a re-enactment made under subsection (4).

A slight majority of Canadians are in favor of same-sex marriage, but the ones who are against it are fanatical.

KinkGuy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Originally posted by Bananaman@Jun 29 2005, 07:39 PM
Kink, I know how you feel, but nothing lasts forever. W and his crowd will eventually fade away. Yes, I am an eternal optimist! If that makes me crazy then so be it, but I will never lose hope. Have you looked at W's popularity lately? There ARE encouraging signs out there!

B-man
[post=325202]Quoted post[/post]​

But many more disasters will befall us in the next 3 1/2 years. To say nothing of what-who will follow. I'm scared shitless, so my optimism level isn't very high right now.

Bananaman

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
OK, my friend. I can't blame you one bit for being scared shitless. This is a scary time. DMW says he's positive that gay marriage won't become legal in this country "in the forseeable future" and as much as I dislike it, he has a point. I'd prefer to think of it as in the near future, though, because forseeable covers a lot of ground. However you see it, I'll grant you that it's not easy to be optimistic.

On the other hand, nothing is more sure than change. Mid-term elections are coming up, for example, and the fanatic right is losing popularity steadily. I'm going to remain hopeful that the current trend will be at least stopped by the outcome of those elections, if not even partially reversed. (I know that's probably overly optimistic even for me.) All I'm saying is that I refuse to give up hope. This country does tend to eventually get itself back on the right track even if the timetable is a bit long. The American people have had just about enough of the current stupidity (on it's many fronts), and I have to believe they'll step up and show their displeasure at the polls, both at the mid-term and again at the next presidential election.

Last point, then I'll STFU. You and I will probably never agree on this, but I refuse to believe that we're headed for "many more disasters" in the next 3 1/2 years. All I can say to you is that I sincerely hope I'm right and you're wrong. (Hey, I warned you that I may be crazy!) Whether I am or not, I know which side I'm on!

:hug: hugs--

B-man

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Bananaman, I was plenty optimistic this time last year and all it got me was a punch in the gut. We've been watching all our worst fears come true at the hands of this dictator and his followers for the last four and a half years, if we don't see the changes at the polls this mid-term as you suggest, I see no reason to believe the trend won't continue.
I can only hope enough americans will be sick of attending funerals for their loved ones over a war we can't win (because there's no real "enemy").

Bananaman

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I hear what you're saying, Mme Z., but the pendulum always swings. Sometimes faster, sometimes slower, but never stopping. Just count the times we've seen in our lifetimes, and heck, we're not exactly ready for the old folks home yet! This is what gives me hope.

After swinging so far right, I must believe that the swing left will be significant, if only for the sake of my sanity.

B-man

KinkGuy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Originally posted by Bananaman@Jun 30 2005, 04:34 PM
Mid-term elections are coming up, for example, and the fanatic right is losing popularity steadily.

Last point, then I'll STFU.  You and I will probably never agree on this, but I refuse to believe that we're headed for "many more disasters" in the next 3 1/2 years. All I can say to you is that I sincerely hope I'm right and you're wrong. (Hey, I warned you that I may be crazy!) Whether I am or not, I know which side I'm on!

:hug: hugs--

B-man
[post=325488]Quoted post[/post]​

If there is any justice left, whatsoever................all those assholes need to be removed.

I sincerely, honestly, deep down in my heart hope and pray your are correct. But what if we don't have 3 1/2 years to sit back and wait? Complacency is how we got in this mess in the first place.

One blow job in the oval office and a gazillion nasty, smear tactic media dollars and the course of mankind, to say nothing of just the future of this country has been permanently and forever altered.

I hope I am wrong.

tuvok

Just Browsing
Media
One step in the right direction for Canada, hopefully it'll nudge the US at least a tad in the same direction, though I don't have to high hopes, but I haven't given up on the US yet. Thankfully we got what would prolly best be described as civil unions legalized for gays back in '89 (first country in the world to allow gays and lesbians to be married).

Jumping to the off-topic about health care, what we have in Denmark is pretty good, of course there are some waiting lists but they do try to bring them down, and it really is nice to just hand them the yellow health insurance card, then they know who you are where you live, relatives that may need information, who your regular doctor is, your entire medical history, just by reading the magnetic strip on the plastic. Also it will cover any medical needs, throughout Europe, (Russia till the Urals only though), all countries bordering the mediteranean, and Jordan.

KinkGuy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Originally posted by tuvok@Jun 30 2005, 06:32 PM
civil unions legalized for gays back in '89 (first country in the world to allow gays and lesbians to be married).
[post=325528]Quoted post[/post]​

Let's see. 2005 minus 1989 equals 16 years. 16 years of human, civil and social responsibility and exactly equates with the year your country was destroyed. The economy, marriage and all social constraints collapsed at exactly that time. Fox News just didn't cover it much here in the US since it's now 51 years ago.