Canadian dollar equals US dollar

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Customers have told me it is to fund the national health system. Is that the case?

I don't think it's quite that simple (but it may be).
Most alcohol taxes go into provincial coffers, and the provinces pay for well over half the health care system's cost.
But I'm not aware that alcohol taxes are dedicated to that end. (They'll certainly in large part go there, because it's all one pot, at the end of the day.)
Maybe in some provinces they are.

rexcasual

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
There a lot of Canadians who live right along the international border and now it's quite apparent how local businesses are over priced. The current excuse is inventory purchased as long ago as 12 months cannot be marked down. It's bull. I expect to see a lot of cross border shopping develop until the local merchants get their prices in line. People can save thousands of dollars on an identical car purchased south of the border and that just ain't right.

Internet shopping is going to increase hugely and walk in stores will be forced to offer incentives. I can't wait.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I don't think it's quite that simple (but it may be).
Most alcohol taxes go into provincial coffers, and the provinces pay for well over half the health care system's cost.
But I'm not aware that alcohol taxes are dedicated to that end. (They'll certainly in large part go there, because it's all one pot, at the end of the day.)
Maybe in some provinces they are.

Thanks for the native perspective. I usually get them when they are mad about the price difference so the convo isn't as informative as it is ranting. :smile:

simcha

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Actually what it shows is what a terrible disaster the USA is heading into. The Fed just increased rates, which means our dollar is becoming like the Mexican Peso. It's on its way to becoming worthless. That means what for we the American consumer? It means run-away inflation. That means that the greenbacks we earn from our employers (slavers) will buy less and less. That means that we won't be able to keep our financial heads above water.

On the other hand, it makes our exports ridiculously cheap. Too bad our manufacturing complex is destroyed and we make nothing but meaningless paper and electronic information these days, or "Would you like fries with that?" And our debt could be devalued immensely because our debt is measured in dollars.

This also means that people outside the USA who hold other currencies could come to the US on vacation and fiind amazing deals.

And what they will find is more homelessness, poverty, and a society headed toward 3rd. World standards of living...

rexcasual

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm no economist but our dollar devalued to the mid 60 cent range in recent years and it didn't spell the end of civilization (such as it is in Canada :tongue:) and the climb back to parity hasn't been all roses. One sector of the economy flourishes as another dwindles.

It's not necessarily time for pessimism. Canada and the USA do more trade with each other than anywhere else. Many Americans don't realize that we are your largest trading partner and have been for a long long time.

But is scary when massive changes occur. We are a huge resource based economy and have struggled to secure value added manufacturing through all of our existence. This will intensify. More manufacturing jobs will likely flow from us to you or Mexico. Except where our plants are proved more efficient. Dollar sensitive industries like the Film biz are going to be dinosaurs here unless they can reduce costs with pay cuts and add more incentives. Wood will be cut here but made into paper elsewhere. Trucking and shipping will intensify.

It's a rapid change, and rapid adaptation is the key to success.

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Finally, currency equivalence. A dollar should be a dollar, the difference should be the cost of products and services in terms of quality, not with the legal tender you pay with. Everyone on the planet should use the same denominations of currency.

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
Canada is a G7 country, well resourced, well educated diverse people - why shouldn't she be successful?

I am afraid the US Gov has put the country and her people in the Pawn shop.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Everyone on the planet should use the same denominations of currency.
ROTFLMAO, yeah that will happen right after GW Bush admits he lied about his reasons for starting this damned war.

When are you going to start exporting Candian penises? I for one would like a couple.
You and me both! they do seem to have more than their fair share of big, pretty penii.

Actually, it just shows you how much our natural resources are in demand now (and will continue to be in the future).
Which natural resources are you talking about? Cause so far it seems like only deepwader and I are interested in Canadian Cock. :tongue: Which as far as I am concerned is your most important and valuable natural resource. :wink:

YourAvgGuy

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
With the ever increasing need of the natural resources produced and refined in Canada, it would not shock me for the country to continiously climb the economic ladder.

This is especially good for me now, considering I might be moving to Canada to take a Dean position. :)

YourAvgGuy

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
So you're a top, YourAvgGuy?
Shoulda known it.:cool:

You will forgive my ignorance, but care to elaborate on this, please???

As for "DEAN," I was referring to an academic appointment. I am hoping that is what you were likewise referring to... if not... uhmmm.... no, I'm not a top.

Wrey

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Canada is beautiful country and there is a lot the world could learn from some of Canada's policies and environmental management in some areas. To call Canada a knock off America is so untrue. Canada has it's own way of doing things and I think this is a sign the world is recognizing it and taking greater stock in a great country.

I agree with you completely! My point was that for too long Canada (especialy to the average U.S. citizen) has been perceived as this, when in fact Canada has its own rich and long cultural heritage.

I can tell you that here is Puerto Rico the average individual may be academicaly aware that Canada is a soverign nation, but when Puerto Ricans refer to 'the outside world' (that's really how they refer to all places not Puerto Rico :confused:) Candada gets lumped in with the U.S.

Strange but true....

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
One reason Canada is doing well economically, is that government borrowing and deficit spending were brought under control in the 90's. Just as it was in the U.S. (remember the 90's?), until the Bush cadre took over and the Republicans went wild with the money again. While cutting taxes on the wealthiest and their corporations.

Also I don't think that Canadian banks are being hurt as badly as the U.S. banks in this junk mortgage investment problem we are having now.

Just a thought.. I'm not a banker or economist.

rexcasual

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Our smaller exporters will probably be crapping themselves if it climbs any higher. They view a lower dollar as a key to competing in the marketplace.

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
ROTFLMAO, yeah that will happen right after GW Bush admits he lied about his reasons for starting this damned war.

It's not so far fetched a concept, if a Canadian dollar bill and US dollar bill trade for the same, what difference does it make where it was printed, by whom ? The Euro is a common scrip that European nations have adopted.

Take the Euro, all we need is for the world to figure out that it's divided into sub units of 100. In coins that's a penny US and paper, a US dollar. If traded one for one, what's different from a Canadian dollar or penny ?

lokican

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Hey if the US starts to invade Iran, I say thats the sign the US empire has begun it's decline (don't be sad, it happens to all civilizations) therefore all the LPSG.org members, should move to Canada. It's a win/win situation. All you guys get to enjopy our clean air, universal health care, mary someone of the same sex (if thats what your into) and Canada wins by having our national average Penis size go way up ;)

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
This has been coming for a while - it's true that the US$ has deteriorated quite a bit versus most currencies, the C$ has been on a steady climb since '04.

Odd that no one has mentioned the side effects - a high C$ hurts Canadian manufacturers who sell to the US, because their goods are much more expensive in US$.

Conversely, a low US$ helps US exporters, and might someday help dent the US trade deficit. One does wonder what the Japanese and Chinese, as holders of hundreds of billions of US$ debt, think of Bernanke's rate cut and the incredible shrinking dollar.

titan1968

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I agree with you Lokican, my fellow Canuck. As a gesture of our goodwill, why don't we ask our Minister of Foreign Affairs to grant honourary Canadian citizenship to the LPSG members who wish it? :biggrin1:

Hey if the US starts to invade Iran, I say thats the sign the US empire has begun it's decline (don't be sad, it happens to all civilizations) therefore all the LPSG.org members, should move to Canada. It's a win/win situation. All you guys get to enjopy our clean air, universal health care, mary someone of the same sex (if thats what your into) and Canada wins by having our national average Penis size go way up ;)