Canadian masculinity vs. U.S. masculinity

D_Harry_Crax

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
What do you think are the DIFFERENCES in how Canadian men are perceived versus U.S. men, and how Canadian men perceive themselves versus how U.S. men perceive themselves? This is a serious question, not a joke. Thanks.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
What do you think are the DIFFERENCES in how Canadian men are perceived versus U.S. men, and how Canadian men perceive themselves versus how U.S. men perceive themselves? This is a serious question, not a joke. Thanks.
Uhm, never gave it much thought until a friend mentioned that French Canadian men were wimps and known to have small dicks. As for the rest of Canadian men I honestly never think about them. I can't imagine they waste anytime thinking about American men either.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Oh Ruuuuuubi, you are a masculine man.

And you are just the right toi for a masculine man, hootz.

@NJ:
About Quebecois men lacking something in the plumbing department ... first of all, I have no idea ... second of all, I don't believe in stereotypes on this kind of matter ... but third of all, the stereotype that does exist would give them every advantage (allegedly and probably falsely) enjoyed, say, by the Italian gent.

Nrets

Experimental Member
Media
I think one canadian man is extremely masculine in his red dress.

This reminds me of an anecdote about Iggy Pop.

Somebody once exclaimed to Iggy, "OMG, you are wearing a woman's dress!"

Iggy apparently shot back with the punkest retort I have ever heard, "hhhhmph, excuse me, but this is a MAN'S dress!!"

The Dragon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
World veiw on men in Canada-
Rifle slinging, beer swilling, Truck driving, sports watching, sexist, card carrying homophobes.

World veiw of men in America-
Rifle slinging, beer swilling, truck driving, sports watching, sexist, card carrying homophobes.

World veiw of men in Australia-
Rifle slinging, beer swilling, truck driving, sports watching, sexist, card carrying homophobes.

I guess that cover almost all bases.

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Canadian, U.S., German, Greek, Irish, Croatian-I will have to go on a world tour and find out (and compare them to all others as well).

D_Harry_Crax

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I would say that no one has taken this seriously yet. For example, there are social/cultural reasons why gay marriage is legal in all of Canada but only in three U.S. states. There's a difference mix of sports played by amateur and pros between U.S. and Canada men. There's probably a significant difference in the percentage of U.S. men versus Canadian men who are military veterans. This isn't about "stereotypes." It's about all of the factors that result in "masculinity" being different in one country than another. And while masculinity worldwide has certain commonalities, there also are a lot of differences--for example, do you think that Japanese men and U.S. men have the same self-conceptions of masculinity or that their societies demand the same of men.....

Media
I suppose we have run out of things to discuss here. Having said that, I have been to Canada 3 times. Each visit has been 3 weeks minimum. I have been to Toronto, Ottawa, London and a few other places. The men in Toronto looked similar to me but were very handsome.

The men in Ottawa were varied as the stars in the sky just as they are here in Orange County and in Los Angeles. I see no difference, regionally they may be of fare complexion because of the weather and more resilient to cold weather but that's about it IMO.

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
kiwis?

World veiw on men in Canada-
Rifle slinging, beer swilling, Truck driving, sports watching, sexist, card carrying homophobes.

World veiw of men in America-

World veiw of men in Australia-

I guess that cover almost all bases.

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it's not so much a difference in masculinity as it is in overall culture which is in turn shaped by the media.

Bear with me.

Canadian news stories are presented in more of a "something you should be aware of" format, where many American news broadcasts are presented in a "Look out!" tone.

Being innundated with this on a regular basis would lead to a higher threat perception even when there isn't a threat but merely a difference.

A gay advance to a hetero male with a lower threat perception would more likely be treated as, "You're gay, I'm not. Now we both know." But a guy with a higher threat perception might respond with, "No way! You're not going to ass rape me!"

I think that North Americans, because of the continents physical isolation, are more xenophobic than people of other continents. Where Canada has retained ties with Britain we've siphoned some of that European blending attitude. America, having forcefully separated itself from Britain, has not, possibly leading to a different = threat posture.

Another aspect of the media is the perception of role models. When I was young westerns were all the rage. Men were strong, silent and kill or be killed (threat perception) was a way of life. Women were few and far between and had very little influence on decision making in these films. Watching shows like this as a youth can make a serious impact on identity. While Canadians watching American programming would be equally exposed to these role models we wouldn't have identified with them to the same degree because there was no question that the situations portrayed were of the American wild west.

We... well, we had Anne Of Green Gables.
Perhaps enough said.

OR

Canadian men are too busy keeping themselves warm to worry about perceptions of masculinity.

D_Tintagel_Demondong

Sexy Member
Media
I agree with everything that you wrote, Gillette.

I have to add that the American media has also changed, perhaps skewed, the traditional macho ideal.

To me, a real man is a guy who is honest, decent, hard-working, nurturing, sincere, observant, rational and fair. It has nothing to do with his sexual prowess or size.

I think that some Americans tend to see machismo in a more physical sense--the big, virile, strong, silent type of guy.