Cancer Scare and Uterine Surgery

Discussion in 'Women's Issues' started by D_Rosalind Mussell, Aug 16, 2010.

1. D_Rosalind Mussell

D_Rosalind Mussell New Member

I am in the middle of a cancer scare right now. I had an endometrial biopsy, plus a D&C, both with negative cancer pathology. However, I was diagnosed with hyperplasia w/ atypia and my cervical lining is in a pre-cancerous state. I am facing uterine removal, as it is the only options that 100% guarantees that cancer will not develop.

Has anyone been through something like this? I'm curious to hear what anyone has to say....stories, advice, any input would be appreciated. Thank you!

2. HiddenLacey

Gold Member

Albums:
    No, I have not, but my thoughts and prayers are with you sweet lady. I wish that there was something I could do to make it better for you :hug:

#2 HiddenLacey, Aug 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2010
  3. D_Rosalind Mussell

Aw, thank you so much. ^__^ You are a sweetheart, I hope you know that! You already made my day by putting Metallica in your signature. :biggrin1:

4. molotovmuffin

Gold Member

+1, ditto and likewise.

Good luck to you, I'll keep you in my thoughts amd prayers.

5. helgaleena

Gold Member

Albums:
    Hyperplasia is a temporary condition, but precancerous is not good. It's time to do the whole health makeover of all aspects of diet and lifestyle.

One of my author clients, Myristica, is fighting endometrial cancer and winning. But she did opt to get the hysterectomy and full chemotherapy. Home - Myristica's Page

6. DaveyR

DaveyR Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

I wish you well and good health.

7. MrToolhung

Gold Member

You are in my prayers BBW36.

8. B_ILIW

B_ILIW New Member

Sorry to hear this. :frown1:

Keep positive, it will work out in the end. :smile:

9. Belly_Dancer

Belly_Dancer Member

I'm sorry, BBW36, I haven't been through anything as severe as that. I have no advice to offer, but my heart goes out to you.

10. B_infid3l

B_infid3l New Member

Oh, all my best wishes for you to be well and stay that way. :hugs:

- Kristina

11. D_Rosalind Mussell

Thanks for the link, Helga. It's inspiring to know that the fight can be won. Cancer runs on both sides of my family so it's always been a concern of mine. I've been making lifestyle changes for a while now, this situation is giving me the drive to push it to the next level. Change takes time, but I'm not going to stop. My heart and prayers go out to your friend and her fight.

Thanks everyone for the kind words, I appreciate it so much! On the inside I'm a mixed bag of emotions, but aside from feeling scared I feel lucky. I don't know if this is some defense mechanism at work, but I feel like I'm dodging a bullet here. I refuse to count my chickens before they hatch, but my feeling is that this is going to work out for the better. I'm more determined now than ever before to keep making changes. They say everything happens for a reason....who's to say that this didn't happen to keep me moving in the right direction?

12. B_subgirrl

B_subgirrl New Member

Sorry to hear this BBW36. It can be quite a traumatic experience.

My mum had much the same thing happen to her in the late 90s. She had precancerous cells and was advised to get a full hysterectomy. She, like you, felt scared but lucky. The hardest thing for her was the thought that she would never have any more children (even though she had three teenagers and her tubes had been tied for 15 years).

She ended up going through with it and they removed her uterus, cervix and one ovary (they left that so her hormones would stay reasonably normal). I just asked her if she has any advice for you and she said 'Tell her it's the best thing I've ever done!' Before the surgery she had extremely heavy periods that left her largely house bound for one week a month (except for work). Afterwards, this problem was of course solved. They removed hers entirely through the vagina so she didn't even have a wound/scar to deal with.

Good luck! You seem like a very strong woman so I'm sure you'll be fine :smile:

13. D_Rosalind Mussell

Thank you for asking your mum about this and relaying her story! I've heard other positive stories as well and it's very encouraging. I found out that two of my friends had their uterus' removed when they were younger than me. They both had their ovaries left behind as well and they said the same exact thing your mum said. I have experienced the heavy periods and being house bound as well, it really interferes with everyday life in a big way. I started my period when I was 11 and I've always had severe pain that would take me out of action at least 1 day a month. I'm so glad that your mum's outcome was positive. I definitely relate with her on that feeling of loss, being unable to bear anymore children. I didn't plan on having anymore anyway, but there is still that feeling of finality one has to deal with. Thank you and your mum for sharing, I appreciate it so much. ^__^

14. B_subgirrl

B_subgirrl New Member

You're welcome :smile:. I'm beginning to wonder if there is a link between heavy periods and precancerous cells - I might do a journal article search if I get the chance today.

My mum's periods were terrible. All through my childhood and teens going shopping at that time of the month was always a disaster. Mum would always end up feeling faint from blood loss and nausea, and we'd have to go and sit down to let her recover. During the worst times she'd be going to the loo every hour to change tampons. She's said many times that if she'd known what a difference the hysterectomy would make to her life, she would have done it years earlier. So it seems there are definitely big bonuses to having it done, although the associated emotional/psychological aspects are traumatic.

Draft saved Draft deleted