Candidate VP picks.

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by D_Kaye Throttlebottom, May 21, 2008.

1. D_Kaye Throttlebottom

For Obama?

For McCain?

Any idears who you think either candidate will pick as their Vice President?

2. D_Fiona_Farvel

D_Fiona_Farvel Account Disabled

Obama
    -Richardson
    -Edwards
    -Webb
    -Feingold
    -Clinton

Clinton
    -Edwards
    -Obama
    -Webb
    -Feingold

McCain
    -Sununu
    -Elizabeth Dole

3. ktrout1981

ktrout1981 Active Member

Albums:
    For Obama:
    -Nunn
    -Bayh
    -Webb
    -Bloomberg

For McCain:
    -Pawlenty
    -Romney
    -Sanford
    -Lieberman

4. WifeOfBath

WifeOfBath New Member

Hmmm, an independent for Obama and a non-party affiliated democrat for McCain? Is that even possible?

5. B_jacknapier

B_jacknapier New Member

McCain- Condy Rice

surefire republican winning strategy

6. D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp New Member

Edwards presumptively turned down Obama.
    Obama turned down Clinton.
    Rice turned down McCain.

7. D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp New Member

Edwards essentially turned down Clinton as well, since he said he doesn't want to run for VP at all this year.

8. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    :rofl:

People still talking about VPs for Hillary...that's so cute...

I'd very much like to see Russ Feingold on the ticket with Obama, but I don't see that happening realistically.

9. D_Tintagel_Demondong

Lieberman, huh. He may have publicly supported McCain back in December, but I don't think that being a former Dem VP hopeful and an Orthodox Jew would help him on any GOP ticket.

Hillary for Alderman!

10. fallon2

fallon2 New Member

Obama . .. Clinton

Mccain . . .Tom Ridge . . . remember you read it here!

11. Northland

Gold Member

Obama ought to grab hold of Bill Richardson-it would help secure that Hispanic vote which Hillary claims Obama is unable to get on his own.

Clinton would do well to take Ed Rendell (Pennsylvania Governor), he is a strong supporter of her and although I don't believe half the rubbish flowing from his lips, he has a way of convincing people that he's really looking out for your best interests (much like Clinton does).

McCain might do well if he brought in Mike Huckabee. Huckabee would bring in some of those Conservatives who are unsure of McCain.

According to this (which has already eliminated Clinton from the running): Exclusive Poll: Ed Rendell Strong V.P. Candidate - Local News Story - WCAU | P the following has been found-

McCain-Huckabee vs. Obama-John Edwards: Obama, 50 percent; McCain 40 percent.
    McCain-Huckabee vs. Obama-Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius: McCain, 45 percent; Obama 42.
    McCain-Huckabee vs. Obama-Rendell: Obama, 47 percent; McCain 40 percent.
    McCain-Huckabee vs. Obama-Sen. Chuck Hagel (D-Neb.): McCain, 42 percent; Obama 40 percent.
    McCain-former Massachusetts Gov. and presidential candidate Mitt Romney vs. Obama-Edwards: Obama, 52 percent; McCain 37 percent.
    McCain-Romney vs. Obama-Sebelius: McCain, 41 percent; Obama, 40 percent.
    McCain-Romney vs. Obama-Rendell: Obama, 48 percent; McCain, 39 percent.
    McCain-Romney vs. Obama-Hagel: Obama, 42 percent; McCain, 41 percent.
    McCain-Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty vs. Obama-Edwards: Obama, 52 percent; McCain, 35 percent.
    McCain-Pawlenty vs. Obama-Sebelius: Obama, 41 percent; McCain, 38 percent.
    McCain-Pawlenty vs. Obama-Rendell: Obama, 49 percent; McCain, 37 percent.
    McCain-Pawlenty vs. Obama-Hagel: Obama, 42 percent; McCain, 36 percent.
    McCain-Sen. Joe Lieberman (ID-Conn.) vs. Obama-Edwards: Obama, 50 percent; McCain 38 percent.
    McCain-Lieberman vs. Obama-Sebelius: Obama, 42 percent; McCain, 41 percent.
    McCain-Lieberman vs. Obama-Rendell: Obama, 48 percent; McCain, 39 percent.
    McCain-Lieberman vs. Obama-Hagel: McCain 41 percent; Obama 40 percent

12. D_Fiona_Farvel

D_Fiona_Farvel Account Disabled

Once the democratic candidate is set, everyone may reconsider their positions. I think if guaranteed an active, participant role, Edwards would surely accept Obama's VP request. One reason being, Edwards wife just seems to like a higher profile, would she get that if he accepted a cabinet position? :shrug:

Rice is so ineffective. Hopefully McCain never seriously considered her for any role in his administration. I like Dole, Sununu, or a very conservative Midwestern or Southern politician for McCain.

:rolleyes: Hillary is trying to repeat '92, allow some of us (me) to support her delusion.

If Obama and his advisors are as politically savvy as they seem, there has to be awareness that Feingold would be a good addition to his 'change' ticket. Only downside to that match up is losing out on the populist angle.

13. B_boynextdoorkpt

B_boynextdoorkpt New Member

Its clear you hate Hillary, but I hate to break it to you, Obama has never turned down Hillary. As a matter of fact, look at the NY times, insiders in the Obama camp are saying that she is the only choice if he wants to keep the blue collar white man vote, which makes up most of the country, as well as the woman, latinos.

14. B_boynextdoorkpt

B_boynextdoorkpt New Member

I think Rice would be a good choice for McCain, would make the election very interesting.

15. OCMuscleJock

Gold Member

Albums:
    Obama/Clinton would be the GOLDEN ticket for Democrats. Plus it would add experience to Obama's corner. And how cool would it be to have two firsts in one election...a black president and a woman vp. I hope this is the way it would go...but who knows.

DEFINITELY not voting for McCain.....

*personally i'd rather have it Clinton/Obama :) but that doesn't seem possible now :)

16. hotbtminla

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'd be surprised if either Obama or McCain pick a sitting Senator, particularly if its a Senator from a state with a governor from the opposite party.

A Governor is most likely for both of them. Or a notable former senator/governor/etc, or one who is retiring. Obama could pick a general. Either of them could tap someone from outside the political spectrum. But I think a Governor is most likely. I also think McCain might pick someone who is not a white male.

Obama:
    Richardson has to be toward the top of the list. Will solidify his base in the West, bolstering CA, NV, CO, NM, and could ensure TX is in play. Foreign policy out the wazoo, etc. He's dull as dishwater but whatever. I also wouldn't be surprised if he asks Gore.

Other likely candidates could be Warner (though he appears poised to win election to Senate), Napolitano (who is well positioned to give a McCain a run for his money for Senate in a couple years), Ritter or Sebelius. He could also pick a Clintonite to help mend the fence, in which case Strickland, Bredesen or Gen. Clark. I also wouldn't rule out Bloomberg or Hagel, but I wouldn't put money on them either.

Edwards wants (and will get) AG. Webb would be a great SecDef, but will depend upon what the Senate looks like after the election.

McCain:
    Charlie Crist would be a shrewd choice, since he's a Latino from a massive swing state. But rumor has it he might, uh, swing a little too much for the GOP base. :cool: Rice would interesting, but would make arguing the Bush's third term thing more difficult. Linda Lingle is a possibility (but is poised for a run for Inouye's Sen seat when he retires), as is Jindal. Pawlenty or Sanford are probably under consideration.

If McCain really has totally sold out then Romney. Possibly Huckabee or Giuliani. He really hates Romney, but stranger things have happened.

17. D_Kaye Throttlebottom

Well... my thoughts on Obama's picks for VP... (McCain, I'm not too vested in - unless he picks Condoleeza Rice and it would take that choice for me to consider a vote for a republican ever).

In the meantime, for Obama...

Edwards (said he wouldn't run as anyone's VP - but he can chage his mind if had a hand in appointing a cabinet position to tackle the issues on poverty that he cares about). He also won that voter demographic over Hillary in Iowa before he dropped out of the race - he can pick up that under 50K working class vote that Hillary claims as hers.

Wesley Clark: Former General of US Army, graduated top of class at west point - Vietam hero, injured went back for a second tour in Vietame anyway. Wesley was a former Allied NATO commander/EUCOM commander for the US Army during Kosovo Air campaign and has been critical of the execution of the war in Iraq. I'm skeptical about his criticism of Iraq war - given that at the cease fire of Kosovo - he wanted boots on the ground in Kosovo to stop Russia from moving in ahead of UN brokerage of peace territories - but the Brits refused. ... that's beside the point. Wesley would be a good counter to McCain's service record as a war hero, and Wesley would fit Obama's call for chage, as military foreign policy expert - but is not an elected official. Wesley did make a run for President in 2004 but withdrew. (drawback -Wesley doesn't connect as charismatically with voters and what voter demographic would he bring in?). Politically he fits w/ Obama's mantra for change and has a military background that doubted the planning and execution of Iraq and he can appeal to other nations to get in the same "tent." He's also a good-looking guy.

Gov. Richardson. This guy has a gobsmack amount of foreign policy experiece, diplomatically, etc. He endorsed Obama. He could help Obama with another voter demographic - hispanic/catholic vote.

Other names that have been throw out - Ted Strickland (PA), Evan Bayh (Indiana), Jim Webb (VA). I don't know ...

18. B_jacknapier

B_jacknapier New Member

I'm not trying to stir shit, but is her being a black woman what makes the difference for you?

19. D_Kaye Throttlebottom

shit-stirrer, noted.

No. her 25 years in Intelligence for starters - outlasting Rumsfeld (he quit Secretary of Defense - when she became Secretary of State) and graduating from college when she was 19 ... oh her being a dean at Stanford...

So what's next - she's an elitist for her accomplishments.. been there and heard that too. At least she's not making bullshit stories about dodging bullets

20. B_jacknapier

B_jacknapier New Member

Nobody was accused of elitism for their accomplishments. I'm sure you understand why Obama got that label, at least for many rural Pennsylvanians.

But as I said, I'm not trying to stir shit. I was simply curious.

Draft saved Draft deleted