Can't be alone

porter111

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hey guys,

I have a relative who always has the need to be in a relationship, hes a guy to, usually when you hear about this its a female. Why is it that some people always seem to jump from one relationship to the next, its like they can't just be alone for 6 months or a years time. Anyone know the phsycology behind this?

Porter

cdarro

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Don't know the psychological term(s), but I have more than a few friends like this, can't seem to spend any time alone at all. Seems to be fairly common.

Rugbypup

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I think being alone is the default setting for some/most people.

We all must learn to live with it.

Finding someone and being in a relationship is something very special and rare, but spending life chasing that can be as sad as never having anyone.

cdarro

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Plain and simple loneliness?
Needs a partner in order to "feel complete"?
Needs a partner who gives attention/compliments/validation?
Needs a partner for regular sex?

All of the above, I guess; and others as well. As for me, I need a fair amount of "alone time" even in a relationship.

D

deleted405852

Yeah I have a friend that is like that, some kind of "serial monogamist".
She ends a relationship and goes on to the next guy with no space or grieving process.

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
my kid sis can't do alone.
but i do alone wonderfully.
as long as she doesn't expect me to like the losers then i can deal with it just fine.

freeballer24

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
coming from a guy that does't like to be alone... I love to be i realtionships i've had 3 from the time i turned 18 and i'm 24 now. I'm all about long term relationships. The reason that I hate to be alone is that, there is this deep lonliness I have inside of me. which came from my childhood, my mom had five kids. my mom and dad got divorced when I was real young so I never had a relationship with him and my mom was adopted so we knew none of our famliy, And my mom was very religious and spebt most of her time in church so I didn't get much attention from her either... when the pastor of the church found out I was gay she kicked me out and then made my mom kid me out the house, I was only 17!!!!

So my reason for no liking being alone is that I need attention that I never received as a kid. I work on this everyday, just trying to enjoy my own company and loving myself.
BTW, for everyone that will look at this and think i'm throwing a pitty party, I'M NOT. I just wanted to share why I hate being alone.

D_Jared Padalicki

Account Disabled
Media
Hey guys,

I have a relative who always has the need to be in a relationship, hes a guy to, usually when you hear about this its a female. Why is it that some people always seem to jump from one relationship to the next, its like they can't just be alone for 6 months or a years time. Anyone know the phsycology behind this?

Porter

Some people can't be alone, and need the affection/attention of another person. that is why they immidiatly have another gf when they break up with the last one. Some of my collegefriends have this issue badly.

MrMXYZPTLK

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Whether it's male or Female, I call it the Prince Charming Effect.

I know a couple of people like this.

They just always need to be in a relationship. They always want to have a significant other around. To show off and brag about. They think them having a significant other gives them a step up on everyone else.

If they break up, they are with someone new within 4 days. It's really really wierd to me.

But GUY OR GIRL, they seem to want the happy brady bunch family, white picket fence life. For some reason they think it's a race and want to get to it before everyone else.

Just REALLY wierd to be, Always wanting to be with someone else.

Pendlum

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
coming from a guy that does't like to be alone... I love to be i realtionships i've had 3 from the time i turned 18 and i'm 24 now. I'm all about long term relationships. The reason that I hate to be alone is that, there is this deep lonliness I have inside of me. which came from my childhood, my mom had five kids. my mom and dad got divorced when I was real young so I never had a relationship with him and my mom was adopted so we knew none of our famliy, And my mom was very religious and spebt most of her time in church so I didn't get much attention from her either... when the pastor of the church found out I was gay she kicked me out and then made my mom kid me out the house, I was only 17!!!!

So my reason for no liking being alone is that I need attention that I never received as a kid. I work on this everyday, just trying to enjoy my own company and loving myself.
BTW, for everyone that will look at this and think i'm throwing a pitty party, I'M NOT. I just wanted to share why I hate being alone.

Oh man, I feel bad for you. :frown: I don't blame you for not wanting to be alone, but I am glad you are working on it. It shows a great amount of self-awareness, which is a great quality. Good luck.

As for the OP, most people I knew in my high school were like this, either always jumping, or never stops trying to get into a relationship. For a while I used, and occasionally still do, get asked why I don't have a girlfriend. So I think it is more common that you might realize.