Can't be alone

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by porter111, Sep 21, 2009.

1. porter111

porter111 New Member

Hey guys,

I have a relative who always has the need to be in a relationship, hes a guy to, usually when you hear about this its a female. Why is it that some people always seem to jump from one relationship to the next, its like they can't just be alone for 6 months or a years time. Anyone know the phsycology behind this?

Porter

2. D_Hyacinth Harrytwat

D_Hyacinth Harrytwat Account Disabled

I already know who's going to jump at the invitation to splurge psychology at you, but with that aside, oy! Your cousin!!!! Well I guess he's getting laid, right?

3. cdarro

cdarro New Member

Don't know the psychological term(s), but I have more than a few friends like this, can't seem to spend any time alone at all. Seems to be fairly common.

4. B_quietguy

B_quietguy New Member

Plain and simple loneliness?
    Needs a partner in order to "feel complete"?
    Needs a partner who gives attention/compliments/validation?
    Needs a partner for regular sex?

5. Rugbypup

Gold Member

Albums:
    I think being alone is the default setting for some/most people.

We all must learn to live with it.

Finding someone and being in a relationship is something very special and rare, but spending life chasing that can be as sad as never having anyone.

6. cdarro

cdarro New Member

All of the above, I guess; and others as well. As for me, I need a fair amount of "alone time" even in a relationship.

7. dirrtyminded

dirrtyminded Member

Albums:
    Yeah I have a friend that is like that, some kind of "serial monogamist".
    She ends a relationship and goes on to the next guy with no space or grieving process.

8. dolfette

Gold Member

my kid sis can't do alone.
    but i do alone wonderfully.
    as long as she doesn't expect me to like the losers then i can deal with it just fine.

9. freeballer24

freeballer24 New Member

Albums:
    coming from a guy that does't like to be alone... I love to be i realtionships i've had 3 from the time i turned 18 and i'm 24 now. I'm all about long term relationships. The reason that I hate to be alone is that, there is this deep lonliness I have inside of me. which came from my childhood, my mom had five kids. my mom and dad got divorced when I was real young so I never had a relationship with him and my mom was adopted so we knew none of our famliy, And my mom was very religious and spebt most of her time in church so I didn't get much attention from her either... when the pastor of the church found out I was gay she kicked me out and then made my mom kid me out the house, I was only 17!!!!

So my reason for no liking being alone is that I need attention that I never received as a kid. I work on this everyday, just trying to enjoy my own company and loving myself.
    BTW, for everyone that will look at this and think i'm throwing a pitty party, I'M NOT. I just wanted to share why I hate being alone.

10. freeballer24

freeballer24 New Member

Albums:
    sorry for the mistakes, I didnt have alot of time. SORRY!

11. D_Jared Padalicki

D_Jared Padalicki Account Disabled

Some people can't be alone, and need the affection/attention of another person. that is why they immidiatly have another gf when they break up with the last one. Some of my collegefriends have this issue badly.

12. D_Cock_Hudson

D_Cock_Hudson New Member

I've come across people like this, male and female, who seem to accept very imperfect relationships.

13. MrMXYZPTLK

MrMXYZPTLK New Member

Whether it's male or Female, I call it the Prince Charming Effect.

I know a couple of people like this.

They just always need to be in a relationship. They always want to have a significant other around. To show off and brag about. They think them having a significant other gives them a step up on everyone else.

If they break up, they are with someone new within 4 days. It's really really wierd to me.

But GUY OR GIRL, they seem to want the happy brady bunch family, white picket fence life. For some reason they think it's a race and want to get to it before everyone else.

Just REALLY wierd to be, Always wanting to be with someone else.

14. Pendlum

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Oh man, I feel bad for you. :frown: I don't blame you for not wanting to be alone, but I am glad you are working on it. It shows a great amount of self-awareness, which is a great quality. Good luck.

As for the OP, most people I knew in my high school were like this, either always jumping, or never stops trying to get into a relationship. For a while I used, and occasionally still do, get asked why I don't have a girlfriend. So I think it is more common that you might realize.

Draft saved Draft deleted