Cant Find A Job. Help me!

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by wellhung9, Jan 27, 2011.

1. wellhung9

wellhung9 New Member

So I can't seem to find a job that pays well. I have a bs in sociology and a minor in anthropology from a good university. I have tried craigslist and monster.com but cant find anything. i am not interested in finding a job that relates to my major. Any suggestions?

2. wellhung9

wellhung9 New Member

Is there a site where you can just type in your degree and college you attended and it helps you search for a job in the area you would like? I'm totally lost here

3. tgirlsrgreat

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    pays well may be something you have to put off into the future. inventory your circle of friends and contacts and then network with them. your job opportunity will come from within that, and those that know you best can refer you with confidence. waiting for something to happen over the internet is crap, in my opinion.

4. MrToolhung

Gold Member

If you are not interested in a job that relates to your major then what is it that you want to do? Where do you currently reside? This would have an impact on what is available in your area. Did you belong to a fraternity in University? Any sports? Any other social clubs? Are you willing to relocate? Tgirl is right about the internet it is crap waiting for something to come through. I have always found being persistent will get your much further and going to various companies to find a job.

5. SpiceFromIndia

SpiceFromIndia New Member

Keep spending time on LPSG and you will get a job.
    blow job
    hand job ..

On a serious note buddy, your ex president Bush has fucked this country big time..

#5 SpiceFromIndia, Jan 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  6. hairyman101

hairyman101 New Member

Albums:
    a newspaper route pays fair to good.....its a job.

7. nudeyorker

Gold Member

The best advice I could give you is to visit a Temp Agency in the city you live. It will give you the chance to get a feel for a few things for a short period of time and find a niche where you might fit happily.
    Aside from that waiting tables or working as a bartender in an upscale establishment will give you enough to live until you find what you are looking for.

8. Endued

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    So you're after a job that pays well that you have no qualifications for? I think you're going to have to join a very big queue. :tongue:

9. breeze

breeze Member

What good paying jobs are liberal arts graduates eligible for ?
    sales
    management training { hard to find and get }
    teaching
    civil service jobs { government jobs } - the papers in sf are always running stories of how many make over 100,000 with overtime in sf
    Any more ? Not much really.

10. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    What do you want to do and where do you live?

My nephew was in a similar situation after graduating so he decided to take a course for teaching English as a second language. He now is in Japan working his butt off.

11. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:
    Shut up. Seriously. Just shut up. The average unemployment rate under Bush was better than Clinton, Obama, Bush Sr, Reagan, and Carter... look it up prickshit. Your boy is in his 3rd year, I thought he was Superman anyways.

Anyways...

for Monster... keep making a small change to your resume each Sunday. and/or create new ones. might seem a pain, but I know some folks in HR roles and they care about "stale" factor. and those 'updates' will modify the "datestamp" or "as of" date on your resume. they may have passed you by in a prior scan, and would do so again if they are scanning for the same requisition but only for resumes posted w/in the last 7 days.

the other thing is be open to something other than your major. you'd find TONS of ppl in various industries doing NOTHING that their major entailed. it's not a bad thing. if in your "summary" don't be too prescriptive about your ideal job/role. hell, don't even put one in. recruiters are pretty much just looking for keywords, not poetic narrative. let the hiring manager ask you all that pretty shit.

with all the shovel ready stimulus money, I'm sure there's a bunch of social programs out there... but they don't pay shit.

12. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:
    always wanted to do that.

knew two girls here in SF .... that were internet graphics ppl in 1999/2000 (course who fucking wasn't back then), then the dot.bomb happened. one taught English to businessfolks in Korea, the other Japan. had a blast, came back after a year.... one got a gig in an Koreaa-based firm in the San Francisco office.

Draft saved Draft deleted